Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

You went through all the past threads on this topic and you haven't gone blind (or insane). Now you start a new thread?! WOW!!! You will get, or have seen, orders of magnitude more comments than tires available. Many people (not all) are invested in the tires they have - unless they have lots of cash or have had the opportunity to experiment. That said, I've had PS2's and RE050A's. I like the PS2 (circa '05) a bit better for dry grip but definitely not wet. The RE050A, alternatively, has served me well as a fine all-around tire that is reasonable priced. But this is based on my driving style and ability (I track) which probably isn't as good as many other posters. Seems like for what you are looking for Bridgestone offers some reasonable priced, well performing options - they seem to have a good reputation and a lot of people like them (that's my bias). But supporters could say the same for many of the other manufacturers. So, finish your research, get comfortable with a choice and purchase. With all the advice you've read I can't believe that you'll regret whatever decision you make. (My suggestion, obviously, is Bridgestone.) Good luck.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Agree Bridgestone is the least expensive of the N-rated but the treadwear rating is 140 while the other two are 220 so I'm not sure if the Bridgestone's will last longer.
Correct. I do not expect my RE050A N1 rears to last much more than 10-12k miles.

It is true that the Bridgestones are cheaper than the Michelins and it appears that some equate price to perf/quality, but we all know that that is not always true. I had PS2s and I would not trade my RE050A N1 for PS2s at any price. The PS2 is an old design. Michelin is releasing the PS3 and the Super Sport. Time will tell which one will be adopted by PAG.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with TCC above, based on the volumes of posts on this topic. I've had nothing but PS2s, so can't tell otherwise. The Bridgestone's are my #2 choice-good balance between cost and quality. Given the Hankooks are a lot less expensive, I've been tempted to give them a try.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:09 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Agree Bridgestone is the least expensive of the N-rated but the treadwear rating is 140 while the other two are 220 so I'm not sure if the Bridgestone's will last longer.
You can't compare treadwear ratings on tires from different manufacturers. Well, you can, but it is meaningless.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

You can't compared treadwear numbers BETWEEN different companies, they all use a different baseline. My comment is based on what users have reported here.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:28 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish I too could afford, time-wise and money-wise, to experiment with different tires more. What I know is that any car I have had in the past...????...years that wasn't on Michelin Pilot Sports, I didn't enjoy and I have had them changed out on a few BMW M3s I bought and did the same for this 911 - just didn't want to worry about not liking the ride. I'm sure there are other good tires and know that at some point it comes down to personal preference. In a year or so, I reckon I'll be finding out how the new Michelins are - hope they are in the same vein as the past and current Pilot Sports.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I was disappointed at first that my 997.2 S came with the new generation Pirelli PZero's instead of Michelin PS2's but I have been very happy with them. Excellent grip, decent ride, quiet for a high performance tire, and showing little wear after 4K miles.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Since you're not as picky as some on tires, then I suggest to pick the cheapest "N-rated" tire you can find which I believe is Bridgestong RE050 N1, which probably lasts the longest between N-rated tires. PS2 and Pirelli PZero (not PZero Rosso) are typically reviewed to be more performance oriented than RE050... but if you don't track, you probably won't benefit in any way.
+1

Since you don't track, what are your priorities? Price, grip, ride comfort, noise, wear, or other? TireRack will show individual ratings for various categories. What's important to one driver maybe different to another. E.g. I don't care about road noise, but it seems to matter to others.

If you're not that picky, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Porsche spec N tires.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:40 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't track, go with the Bridgestone RE-11's with XL load rating.
Grippy, surprisingly quiet and they look the beans too. Like them better than my old 050A N0's.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:38 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why people here are saying the PS2s are not good in the wet. Tirerack customers rank them 8.7 (superior) in this category. And, in my experience, they are very good.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:11 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Not sure why people here are saying the PS2s are not good in the wet. Tirerack customers rank them 8.7 (superior) in this category. And, in my experience, they are very good.
+1.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:01 AM
mambodoc
Pro

My new Nitto Invo's are the quietest I've had yet ( as new)...Had Michelin, Conti, and Toyo...No doubt things will change with wear...we'll see.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:11 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

I just put my winters on and took my Hankook's off for the season. I have over 15k on the rears and they are close to the wear bars - a little slippy on wet roads now. The fronts have fewer miles and are fine still.

I've liked these tires for every day street driving. I never tracked them as I had dedicated track tires when I flogged my car that way. For my driving style, and recognizing that I don't push my car real hard on the road, the H's were just fine and I would definitely buy another set.

My commute when i bought them was 30 miles each way on mostly freeway, one rail crossing, and MI potholes. They were fine. Now my commute is 24 miles of two-lane, the first segment is all twisty and speeds range from 30 mph to 70+ in the dry. Again the tires are fine, although as the rears have worn they do struggle to pump enough water when it is raining. This was also true for the Pirellis and Michelins that the car wore previously and i don't notice anything really different about the Hs in this respect.

One good thing about the Hs is they tolerate low temps much better than the Ps or Ms. The big boys start to slip around and really lose grip at about 42F if the tires are cold too, the Hs seem to be good down to about 30 - IF the roads are clear of snow, ice, frost, etc. This allows a later season change over and that means less time on the winter set when the morning temps are low but the daytime temps are high (50F+), so the winters should last longer.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:23 AM
cv997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never track my 997 and think the Bridgestone Potenzas are great. They are cheaper than most other tires out there as well. Btw, If you have 19s, the 305s work/look great.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:11 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

I've had them all...PS2s, REO50, RE11, Hankook v12 evo, and Yokohama Advan sports. I've tried them all on the track as well, but will only speak of road performance. PS2s have best performance and handling with respect to body roll during quick lane changes and cornering, but are noisier on the highway and are not the best in the wet. For the money, I would definitely go with either Bridgestone tire (RE11 a bit better than REO50). Great in wet, great performance, wear is way better than PS2s, and cheaper. Do not get Hankooks because they are very "squirmy"...meaning during lane changes the car shimmies back and forth until you stabilize in a straight line. They are quietest on the highway and last a long time, but I am more of a spirited driver for them to suit my needs. I've always been a Michelin guy, buy the Bridgestones have won me over with respect to performance, looks, wear, and price. Good luck. (this topic is very subjective)

Quick Reply: Tire suggestions please