Sponsored by:

OT: worst strategy call in F1 history at today's race

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I think you are correct. Vettel is (can be) a good driver, but his boyish attitude is refreshing.
I fixed that for you so we could agree again.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I fixed that for you so we could agree again.
Wrong! Vettel is immature and that is far from refreshing.

Your distortion of my statement is also immature.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

The best man won the race and the championship. Vettel has been the fastest all season long. If it wasn't for rotten luck, he would have won the championship easily. Ferrari only cares about Ferrari and will impose team orders and politics in order to win (same goes for McLaren).

My hat is off to Vettel and the Red Bull team. They won the championship fair and square. Congrats!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 AM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
The best man won the race and the championship. Vettel has been the fastest all season long. If it wasn't for rotten luck, he would have won the championship easily. Ferrari only cares about Ferrari and will impose team orders and politics in order to win (same goes for McLaren).

My hat is off to Vettel and the Red Bull team. They won the championship fair and square. Congrats!
As far as having "rotten luck," I would say luck is one aspect but also poor driving decisions and suboptimal engineering that led to some engine failures.

With respect to "fair and square," I don't think anyone is so naive to believe that Red Bull says they run" fair and square" and actually mean it. Team principles repeatedly stated that if Webber were in a position to win the championship at Abu Dhabi and needed to get ahead of Vettel, then Vettel would "do the right thing" for The Team. This is a team orders statement that is phrased in such a way to avoid incurring an FIA fine. Although RB won the championship without team orders, they were well prepared to use them without hesitation if needed.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:11 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Best man won the race, ABSOLUTELY! He probably was the fastest guy most this season... but, did he really deserve the championship? Maybe, maybe not. I was routing for Webber, and if not Alonso.

Alonso was just NOT fast enough today, and couldn't have won for sure... HOWEVER, he only needed to finish FORTH! If STUPID Ferrari team didn't pull him in after Webber, and if he stayed right behind Button all the race and didn't advance, he'd done just that and would have been the champion.

It was 100% fault of the Farrari team and their strategy, and a HUGE MISTAKE. Probably the biggest I've seen since 1994 that I've followed F1.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:17 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by beowulf
As far as having "rotten luck," I would say luck is one aspect but also poor driving decisions and suboptimal engineering that led to some engine failures.

With respect to "fair and square," I don't think anyone is so naive to believe that Red Bull says they run" fair and square" and actually mean it. Team principles repeatedly stated that if Webber were in a position to win the championship at Abu Dhabi and needed to get ahead of Vettel, then Vettel would "do the right thing" for The Team. This is a team orders statement that is phrased in such a way to avoid incurring an FIA fine. Although RB won the championship without team orders, they were well prepared to use them without hesitation if needed.
Absolutely! And re 'rotten luck' I saw the 'bad luck' created by a spoiled Vettel crashing left and right in a reckless way. And let's not forget the team clear favoritism towards Vettel and disfavor towards Webber.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by beowulf
Team principles repeatedly stated that if Webber were in a position to win the championship at Abu Dhabi and needed to get ahead of Vettel, then Vettel would "do the right thing" for The Team. This is a team orders statement that is phrased in such a way to avoid incurring an FIA fine. Although RB won the championship without team orders, they were well prepared to use them without hesitation if needed.
Incorrect. FIA rules allows for team orders in the case where the championship is at stake. RB could have imposed orders at Brazil, but chose not to. Ferrari gifted Alonso points by having Massa move over earlier in the year. I've followed the sport since the early '70s and know that any team has some degree of politcs at play. Now I'm not so naive to not see that RB also favors Vettel over Webber. But my point is that I've always enjoyed a championship that was won at the 11th hour by the fastest driver of the season when the odds seemed stacked against them. Such was the case when Senna beat Prost for his first championship, same for Kimi Raikkonen's championship a few years back.

With hindsight it's easy to say Ferrari chose the wrong strategy, but Alonso didn't deliver the goods. His team expected him to get past the Renaults, he couldn't. Vettel delivered when it mattered most. Case closed, the right man won.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:07 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

With hindsight it's easy to say Ferrari chose the wrong strategy, but Alonso didn't deliver the goods. His team expected him to get past the Renaults, he couldn't. Vettel delivered when it mattered most. Case closed, the right man won.
I have to agree. Although recognizing his enormous talent, I haven't been a Vettel fan due mainly to his immature and selfish moves in Turkey and at Spa and the fact that his team seemed to favor him over a more deserving (IMO) Webber. But he was consistently fast all season and achieved pole and drove a perfect race when he had to to win the championship. He did indeed deserve it.

I also have to give Red Bull credit for letting their drivers race at Brazil. Strategically, it would have helped their situation if they'd let Webber pass Vettel as it would have left Webber only one point behind Alonso going into the final race. Maybe they not-so-secretly wanted Vettel to win it all, but it was still a gamble, and they let the fastest driver actually win the race. It's something Ferrari would not have done.

Speaking of Ferrari, Alonso showed again why he's hard for me to like. Shaking his fist at Petrov at the finish was uncalled for. He had 30+ laps to pass the guy and couldn't get it done. Petrov wasn't a backmarker, was fighting for position too, and had no obligation whatsoever to let Alonso through. It's not cool to blame someone else for your failure.

Already looking forward to next season!

Last edited by Mike in CA; 11-15-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
... Speaking of Ferrari, Alonso showed again why he's hard for me to like. Shaking his fist at Petrov at the finish was uncalled for. He had 30+ laps to pass the guy and couldn't get it done. Petrov wasn't a backmarker, was fighting for position too, and had no obligation whatsoever to let Alonso through. It's not cool to blame someone else for your failure.
Agreed. F1 is full of spoiled prima donnas. I miss Kimi.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I have to agree. Although recognizing his enormous talent, I haven't been a Vettel fan due mainly to his immature and selfish moves in Turkey and at Spa and the fact that his team seemed to favor him over a more deserving (IMO) Weber. But he was consistently fast all season and achieved pole and drove a perfect race when he had to to win the championship. He did indeed deserve it.

I also have to give Red Bull credit for letting their drivers race at Brazil. Strategically, it would have helped their situation if they'd let Weber pass Vettel as it would have left Weber only one point behind Alonso going into the final race. Maybe they not-so-secretly wanted Vettel to win it all, but it was still a gamble, and they let the fastest driver actually win the race. It's something Ferrari would not have done.

Speaking of Ferrari, Alonso showed again why he's hard for me to like. Shaking his fist at Petrov at the finish was uncalled for. He had 30+ laps to pass the guy and couldn't get it done. Petrov wasn't a backmarker, was fighting for position too, and had no obligation whatsoever to let Alonso through. It's not cool to blame someone else for your failure.

Already looking forward to next season!
Agreed mostly! Webber was definitely the breakheart story, if RB wasn't favoring Vettel ALL THROUGHOUT, Webber would have been much closer or ahead of Alonso and should have won the whole thing.

At the end, today's race (in terms of championship) was decided by a HUGE GAFFE at Ferrari pit stop. The track is just NOT pass friendly. Similar to Alonso, Hamilton couldn't pass Kubica either until he pitted, and Ferrari should have known better NOT TO PIT Alonso when they did. Was seriously flawed judgement, even scandalous!

Agreed, bitching at Petrov was uncalled for, but I can kinda understand after losing the championship everyone thought it's in the bag, it must STING!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Waaa,it is never Alonso's fault.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pole position is such a valuable asset as is pit strategy. It does tend to take some of the excitement out when faster cars are blocked with rare opportunities to pass. F1 has advanced in technology so much but I think racing is being quashed. The result of a race and a season are more about qualifying/tire/pit strategy not so much about aggressive passing and negotiating the track. There are some tracks ie monaco where passing is almost non existent
Old 11-15-2010, 12:03 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Wrong! Vettel is immature and that is far from refreshing.

Your distortion of my statement is also immature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k
Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Clearly Vettel is a very fast driver (as demonstrated by his 10 poles) with a very fast car (as demostrated by the constructors' championship). But he is hardly the best driver, as demostrated by his inability to pass without crashing, and the fact that, even with 10 poles, at no point before yesterday did he lead the championship. IMO, he is very lucky to have a 'world championship'; he did not deserve it.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Clearly Vettel is a very fast driver (as demonstrated by his 10 poles) with a very fast car (as demostrated by the constructors' championship). But he is hardly the best driver, as demostrated by his inability to pass without crashing, and the fact that, even with 10 poles, at no point before yesterday did he lead the championship. IMO, he is very lucky to have a 'world championship'; he did not deserve it.
+1. He DID deserve the win yesterday, but not the championship.

Quick Reply: OT: worst strategy call in F1 history at today's race