Flat Rear Tire...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:12 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
So I do this for a living so here goes:
Each patch you put in a tire effectively reduces the speed rating by one. You take a Y (Z in the size but actual speed rating on your N rated P car is Y located after the load rating) rated tires and patch it and it goes down to a V. My N rated winter tires (conti T810S) are only V rated yet still have the coveted N porsche approval.

V rating = 149 MPH
Y rating = excess of 189 MPH

Keep in mind that these are sustained speeds and not burst speeds. If you're exceeding 150MPH for sustained periods I want to move into your neck of the woods (or maybe not?). IMO, there is ZERO risk patching a porsche tire. I hardly think you're being cheap not wanting to speend $1000 just because of a little nail.

FYI, the picture of the puncture above is WAY too close to the sidewall. The patch diameter is about 2.5" and shouldn't be bent so the puncture has to be a minimum of 1.25" from where the curvature of the shoulder begins.

Hope this helps. Obviously I take no legal liability with the above statement but I would not hesitate to recommend a patch to any of my Porsche customers. (ESPECIALLY on a newer tire)
Thanks Buddy. Nice explaining. I feel better now.

Quick Reply: Flat Rear Tire...