Sponsored by:

Flat Rear Tire...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:24 PM
morecarl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Flat Rear Tire...

Dang - punctured my right rear today < 300 miles on the car. Guess I should have got that tire/wheel package after all...

Anyway, I plugged the tire as a temporary fix. Do you guys recommend having the Porsche dealer replace the tire or a high end tire shop?
Old 11-13-2010, 05:28 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

I'd choose based on price. Tires are tires.

Last edited by gravedgr; 11-14-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:46 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by morecarl
Dang - punctured my right rear today < 300 miles on the car. Guess I should have got that tire/wheel package after all...

Anyway, I plugged the tire as a temporary fix. Do you guys recommend having the Porsche dealer replace the tire or a high end tire shop?
Yes - in 17mo/8500miles - I'm $100 ahead already with 2 new tires.

I'd say check the dealer price, Butler, and Tire Rack for best deal as well as having the proper equipment to do it right. I used to buy my BMW tires from NTB(NTW), but always had to get BMW service to balance them to get it right - still was cheaper than using BMW for the entire thing except for the last time I needed some, BMW had gotten competitive - maybe Porsche is same.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a nail in my rear tire one time and had a tire shop plug and patch the tire. No later problems. This method will depend on where the tire is repaired. Hopefully yours is not to close to the side wall. The Porsche dealer is not allowed to repair tires where I lived.

Harvey
Old 11-13-2010, 06:11 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

If it's just a puncture, get a professional patch for $15 and then drive with confidence because a patch is just fine. Really!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:26 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Ruger Classics installed at the Porsche dealer in Cary (Raleigh), NC last Saturday. While they were doing the swap, they noticed a roofing nail in one of the tires (it may have happened a week prior, or as I was pulling into the dealer - I hadn't noticed the nail prior to them pulling the wheel from the car). They plugged it, and told me not to worry.. which I won't.

I had a 'hot-patch' repair in a tire on a '96 Corvette Grand Sport that I owned 10 years ago.. I ran it without any issues until the tire wore out.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:27 PM
nicoff
Racer

P-cars come with Z-rated tires. Your Porsche dealer and some high-end tire places will NOT fix/patch Z-rated tires.
Assuming that you don't track your car, you can have the tired fixed by a local tire shop. My suggestion is to ask them to patch the tire from the inside (which is a bit more expensive perhaps because they have to get the wheel off the tire). Beware where you take it though; you do not want them to scratch your wheels!
If you track your car don't chance it and get you a new tire.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts

Had a rear patched on my 996 and never had any problems for the length of the tire. If you don't track the car regularly then I was told the patch should be fine. I'd go with the patch rather than a new rear at $300-400+ but then its up to you and your wallet! Good luck.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:18 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjfehr
If it's just a puncture, get a professional patch for $15 and then drive with confidence because a patch is just fine. Really!
I concur...
Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really. Sorry to say this but if a tire needs a plug that plug is always temporary because the tire MUST be replaced for it's high speed rating. I get to 100mph+ everyday (for short bursts) and wouldn't want a patched tire.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:09 AM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reputable tire shop in san Diego told me before that with the newer patches they use, the tires keep their speed ratings! Don't know if it's BS
Old 11-14-2010, 12:20 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Not really. Sorry to say this but if a tire needs a plug that plug is always temporary because the tire MUST be replaced for it's high speed rating. I get to 100mph+ everyday (for short bursts) and wouldn't want a patched tire.
Since you said "plug" when replying to my statement about a "patch"... do you know the difference? Or have any evidence to back up your claims with regards to patches or plugs?

Patches are different than plugs. I would not drive far on a plug, nor would I drive at high speeds. Patches (which are ALWAYS installed from inside the tire) are fine if done properly; the only reason tire manufactures won't certify a speed-rated patched tire is because they can't control the quality of the patch and thus speak solely from a liability standpoint. A properly applied patch will not impact the structural stability of the tire at all.

If you don't believe me, here's what tirerack has to say about it:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77
Old 11-14-2010, 12:40 PM
morecarl
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll pursue the patch route given how new these tires are and that I am not tracking the car (barely into break-in).

Sure am glad I had my plug kit handy though.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:03 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you said "plug" when replying to my statement about a "patch"... do you know the difference? Or have any evidence to back up your claims with regards to patches or plugs?
Want evidence? Why not Google the heck out of it yourself?

There are two components to a "repair" a plug and a patch. The patch is applied internally and is air proof, stops air from getting out. Rubber alone is not air proof. Tires have a air proof coating on the inside which is breached when a hole is created by a nail. If not patched the tire will leak air.

Plug is part of the system used in combination with a inner patch.

I'm going on memory here. I don't have time to Google again.

Nevertheless if I were writing a legal argument I should have used the more general term "repair" so you wouldn't have room for an "objection."

I will rephrase: Until I hear otherwise from a German tire engineer familiar with Autobahn travel, I'm going to say you should not be doing 100+mph on a REPAIRED tire. Who is gonna guarantee the tire after the repair job? Nobody? Then I don't want a repaired tire at high speeds.

No biggie. Do what makes sense to you.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:22 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

A $15 plug on a $100K car. Seriously? All comes down to your appetite for risk, and mine is not to plug.

As for where to buy - Tire Rack, and you'll probably find thats exactly where your dealer gets his and if you have a good enough relationship then they will price match. Mine does.

Fitting? Dealer - unless you KNOW someone you trsut and they know what they are doing. I wouldn't touch any of the chain guys. My dealer does it for about $50. Easy piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Flat Rear Tire...