Sponsored by:

997 short clutch life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
yossarian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Feel free to do an extensive search herein on clutches and you may find some references to some premature failures but I would be willing to suggest that the vast majority are operator caused. As you know, once a clutch has been abused it will get worse and worse in no time. My usual clutch replacements have been in excess of 120,000 miles. That's on two 911s. My present 06 S is sitting at 55,000 without any sign of a problem--knock on asbestos!
I have actually polled many sites and I agree it is not extensive of an issue. But it should be noted that the slave has a tendency to be weak (bad engagment), linkage break, pressure plates bent, ect.

I agree that some of the issues are user opperated. However, my main point is that this car is not sooo different than other cars that it must be driven with kid gloves as some here discuss. Ive clocked hundereds of thousands of miles in cars and motercycles. Ive never had any issues. ever. So why Porsche?

If people were not so easy to dismiss it as simple user error we might actually find that there are a fair number.

Here is the Porsche way - If you have had more than a couple of their cars without issues, the dealer will quietly give you a freebee. If not, cough up 2k.

Quick Reply: 997 short clutch life?