Sponsored by:

Living with PCCB long term . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:02 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Saw somewhere the specs for the threads in our hubs but can't find them.

Anyway, bring a wheel lug bolt to local hardware store and buy a bolt with same threads.

Cut head off bolt, round it off a little bit.

Get six! They're cheap.
Factor in the gas to drive to the hardware store, the cost of the bolt and the labor involved, $8.95 from Suncoast doesn't look too bad.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:08 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input guys. I think if it were 4k there would be a lot more cars with the option.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:07 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Factor in the gas to drive to the hardware store, the cost of the bolt and the labor involved, $8.95 from Suncoast doesn't look too bad.
LOL. Good one. Funny.

OTOH or OTOOH: Like summiting Mount Everest, the thrill of victory of bypassing the Porsche Parts Hegemony is priceless!

Inspirational photo attached (not to scale).
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2010, 01:26 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Better to buy the hangers - you also need that hole in the top to tighten/loosen them and at $8, what the heck. Not like you ever need to buy more.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:49 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevepow
Better to buy the hangers - you also need that hole in the top to tighten/loosen them and at $8, what the heck. Not like you ever need to buy more.
Yeah..., I..., guess...,

()

Though NOT necessary for the hangers a mini-hobbyist unit like this helps - gives you another reason to get one. $2K new, that's ONLY 222 store-bought Porsche hangers.
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

LOL. Good one. Funny.

OTOH or OTOOH: Like summiting Mount Everest, the thrill of victory of bypassing the Porsche Parts Hegemony is priceless!

Inspirational photo attached (not to scale).
Sure. I can see you now explaining to your dealer how the Chinese made bolts from your local hardware store didn't match the diameter or pitch of your lug bolts precisely and you ruined the thread in your hubs.

Add the aggravation of cutting, filing, etc. and the thrill of victory in bypassing Porsche parts to save $8.95 is a Pyrrhic one at best. Good luck with that.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 11-13-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sure. I can see you now explaining to your dealer how the Chinese made bolts from your local hardware store didn't match the diameter or pitch of your lug bolts precisely and you ruined the thread in your hubs.

Add the aggravation of cutting, filing, etc. and the thrill of victory in bypassing Porsche parts to save $8.95 is a Pyrrhic one at best. Good luck with that.
The diameter and pitch are standard metric (M14 x 1.5) so not difficult to match...it's the machining work I wouldn't want to do.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 11-13-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The aluminum is sacrificed should you hit it hard with a wheel. With a steel bolt the softer item will suffer (i.e., the wheel).
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Not much of a putterer hey Mike?

Last time I messed up the threads of a bolt was when I was about six or seven years old.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:01 AM
chago996
Racer

To the OP, I can't tell if yours is an S model or not, and if you're planning on getting a regular carrera or an S, but I must say the new generation iron brakes are amazing! If money is an issue and you are trying to decide between S and non S, the extra 8k would be better used on getting the S. The brakes are up to par with that car. And They r more than adequate for a non S new 997.2 . Pccb is just icing on the cake if money is no object. But the new iron brakes are an improvement comming from the 1st gen 997 brakes especially on the non S 997.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Not much of a putterer hey Mike?
I like to putter, but I choose to spend my time on things that interest me or are a bit of a challenge. Cutting and filing bolts when perfectly good parts are available to maybe save a buck or two is not on my list. But hey, to each his own. Knock yourself out!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 PM
LlBr
Drifting

I like to putter, but I choose to spend my time on things that interest me or are a bit of a challenge. Cutting and filing bolts when perfectly good parts are available to maybe save a buck or two is not on my list. But hey, to each his own. Knock yourself out!

Yeah maybe you are right.

Carefully and thoughtfully prioritizing my puttering projects should be immediately moved to the top of my list of interesting and challenging things to do.

Last edited by LlBr; 11-15-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Yeah maybe you are right.

Carefully and thoughtfully prioritizing my puttering projects should be immediately moved to the top of my list of interesting and challenging things to do.

That's not at all what I was suggesting. Most people just instinctively know what kinds of things are time wasters. But if you feel like you need to make a list, by all means, again, knock yourself out.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The aluminum is sacrificed should you hit it hard with a wheel. With a steel bolt the softer item will suffer (i.e., the wheel).
It's typical to slide the wheel on or accidentally bump it against the guide pins as you take it on and off. You make an excellent point.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:22 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Has anyone else considered the possible damage to PCCB's rotors from malicious vandalism?

Would be easy, particularly with Carrera Classics or the Carrera S 2's.

That is my reason for not getting them, the fragility and possible damage from stones etc.

Quick Reply: Living with PCCB long term . . .