Sponsored by:

Living with PCCB long term . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Perhaps in time ceramic brakes will come down. I would expect the replacement rotors to be less if and when I need them in many years.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:55 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i always say it is something that if you never had you would never miss, but once you have had them you are highly unlikely to ever want another car without them. I have had a car without them, and a car with them. I cannot see myself getting another car without them. i am not a track guy, but it is my daily driver. They have virtually no wear on them.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:03 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Related to PCCB and maintenance which is OP's interest:

I never priced this out but bear with me:

When you need major brake $ervice with steel rotors? Just shop around and buy four new rotors and the pads and DIY. No need to machine the rotors mess or with hub bearings etc.. Result is perfect new brakes.

Simple enough DIY. Do the number$ work?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

A full set of four iron rotors and pads for a 997.1 C2S costs $947, all in (from Suncoast). So you could completely replace the iron brakes nine times for the cost of the PCCB option.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by CBnAT
I'm considering buying a model end 997 to keep for a long time and I have configured one at least 100 times. I keep debating back and forth on the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB). I know they are a little overkill for the street, but I am wondering if long term they are a better option to have on the vehicle or if they are actually more trouble than they are worth (easily damaged, potential repair bills, availability of parts as the car ages)? The car would see some track time, but it would not be a dedicated track vehicle. 8K is a pretty steep option.

Thoughts?
I'd get them. Lighter weight, less rotational mass, the car is more responsive under all conditions: accelerating, stopping, and turning. Suspension can react better to road conditions. Just what you want from a sports car.

Plus longer component life and less brake dust: Bonus!

As long as you have the car serviced by a shop that takes proper precautions to avoid when removing a wheel and having the wheel drop on the disc and knocking a chip out of it you should have no problems.

At the Porsche dealer I watch the techs and they loosen the lug bolts then remove two and thread in special rods into the bolt holes. Then the other lug bolts are removed and the wheel knocked loose from the hub and the wheel the slid out with the rods keeping the wheel from dropping.

Slick.

Some (dare I say most if not all?) indy tire/wheel shops, gas stations, etc, not so slick.

Oh, you might try to get a back issue of Total 911, three issues actually, in which the PCCBs were covered in depth. Good reading and I think almost a must have for anyone who's thinking of PCCBs or has them.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:24 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I'd get them. Lighter weight, less rotational mass, the car is more responsive under all conditions: accelerating, stopping, and turning. Suspension can react better to road conditions. Just what you want from a sports car.

Plus longer component life and less brake dust: Bonus!

+1
Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
A full set of four iron rotors and pads for a 997.1 C2S costs $947, all in (from Suncoast). So you could completely replace the iron brakes nine times for the cost of the PCCB option.
Your math is flawed. You have left out the labor each time. You need to factor in the LABOR times nine as well. For the PCCBs--you put the labor in once.

While others are doing the brake maintenance thing time and time again--

05 Pads
10 Flush
15 Rotors
20 Labor
30 Goto 05

I have only had to flush my system. (10)
Old 11-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Your math is flawed. You have left out the labor each time.
Your reading comprehension is flawed. I answered the question as asked.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
At the Porsche dealer I watch the techs and they loosen the lug bolts then remove two and thread in special rods into the bolt holes. Then the other lug bolts are removed and the wheel knocked loose from the hub and the wheel the slid out with the rods keeping the wheel from dropping.

Slick.
I recommend a pair of the guide rods even if you don't have PCCB's. They make it a lot easier to mount the wheels, especially the heavy rears, without dinging the calipers, etc. If I remember correctly, they're less than $10 each.
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I recommend a pair of the guide rods even if you don't have PCCB's. They make it a lot easier to mount the wheels, especially the heavy rears, without dinging the calipers, etc. If I remember correctly, they're less than $10 each.

Those rods will support the wheel weight? Never gave a thought to dinging the calipers?? I"m ordering those damn things tonight.......
Old 11-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Dave's911
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Those rods will support the wheel weight? Never gave a thought to dinging the calipers?? I"m ordering those damn things tonight.......
They do. I just purchased a pair and pulled my wheels off last weekend for a thorough cleaning. They made the job very easy.
Wish they worked on the back wheels too. I have a 4S with spacers, and as such have studs and wheel nuts versus wheel bolts, if that makes sense.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Just one will support the weight (they're a solid aluminum piece) and in fact that's all the manual calls for if you have don't have PCCB's. But 2 make the job even easier.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Saw somewhere the specs for the threads in our hubs but can't find them.

Anyway, bring a wheel lug bolt to local hardware store and buy a bolt with same threads.

Cut head off bolt, round it off a little bit.

Get six! They're cheap.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nugget
Thanks! Interesting.

$1K + new parts + no machining + no service labor + no drop off and loaner + DIY fun = NEW BRAKES.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave's911
They do. I just purchased a pair and pulled my wheels off last weekend for a thorough cleaning. They made the job very easy.
Wish they worked on the back wheels too. I have a 4S with spacers, and as such have studs and wheel nuts versus wheel bolts, if that makes sense.
They work great with the PAG 5mm spacers - and yes, two work even better - makes a tire take off a cinch.

Quick Reply: Living with PCCB long term . . .