Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket in a Porsche in Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:44 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LlBr
Put another way, there are sections of roadway posted for 45 on which it is safe for attentive well-equipped drivers to go 60. Do they put up 60mph signs for those sections? No.
Three words: Lowest Common Denominator.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brt3
Three words: Lowest Common Denominator.
Yeah I know.

Thanks anyway.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Valentine (or other) detector install - DC, VA - banned

Originally Posted by sclemmons
No state income tax.

Pay the ticket. Buy a Valentine.

Good trade.
Ok - titillating subject. I live in DC, and drive around the area, including Virginia. Radar detectors banned in both jurisdictions. I may be interested in installing one, as I also drive in Maryland, where they aren't banned. Heaven forbid I forget to power it down when I cross over into DC, though...

Are there subtle installations for cases such as my own???

My darling wife has suggested that "3 strikes and I'm out..." and my new pcar becomes hers, and I get the Fiesta.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you show up for court they may bargain it down to the "01 to 10 mph" over the speed limit, and you might save $25, but thats about it. But you could take the $25 you save and go over to Fonda San Miguel and have a nice lunch . . . Just don't drive after lunch if you are impaired!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:59 PM
laelops
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wife got a stop sign violation a couple weeks ago in Mill Valley, CA $530, can't imagine what a speeding violation will be.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I had to share this. I was driving my suv just a few hours ago, I get a call (hands free) and was not paying attention. I was at 60 in a 40 when I ended the call and noticed a cop with a laser pointed at me. I had been talking to a friend and was still laughing about the conversation. The cop smiled back and waived. By this time I was driving 35. Lesson for me-smile more.

Cheers
Old 11-11-2010, 05:45 PM
911FM
Racer

+ 1 with others. The only thing that matters is points because of potential insurance cost increase.

If it carries not points, just pay (driving tax). If not get a lawyer to get rid of them if possible.

Good luck!

FM
Old 11-11-2010, 06:01 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Ahh yes, Loop 1604. I lived in SA for 30 years. Lots of speed traps in NE San Antonio.

Defensive driving if you have the time. If not, pay the fine.
That bad is it here in SA? Am new to the area and this is my 1st incident but it seems that folks drive alot differently here than what I am used to in the NE. A little faster and much more drunk drivers from the news reports!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I had to share this. I was driving my suv just a few hours ago, I get a call (hands free) and was not paying attention. I was at 60 in a 40 ...
Naughty boy! I see SUVs/trucks/minivans driving erratically with their drivers on the phone. Just nuts. I urge all P-car drivers to drive correctly any other car they drive and set an example. Also honk hard when you see people yakking on the phone.

Here in the Bay Area I also find that slow moving traffic is often caused by cars with drivers on the phone who tend to slow down (no such thing as efficient multitasking when driving) and cause a rolling blockade slowing long lines of traffic.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
Naughty boy! I see SUVs/trucks/minivans driving erratically with their drivers on the phone. Just nuts. I urge all P-car drivers to drive correctly any other car they drive and set an example. Also honk hard when you see people yakking on the phone.

Here in the Bay Area I also find that slow moving traffic is often caused by cars with drivers on the phone who tend to slow down (no such thing as efficient multitasking when driving) and cause a rolling blockade slowing long lines of traffic.
My bad. I never talk on a phone in the Porsche-I just can't. This was probably the third call I took this year in any car. As this points our clearly, I am incapable of conducting a conversation and driving at the same time.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:09 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
.... Also honk hard when you see people yakking on the phone. .
I so want to do that but am very afraid of being targetted/vandalized when I park my DD (the C4S) ... and not very many of them in town.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
My bad. I never talk on a phone in the Porsche-I just can't. This was probably the third call I took this year in any car. As this points our clearly, I am incapable of conducting a conversation and driving at the same time.
We all make mistakes once in a while. Your recognizing the issue says you are not the problem. The problem is out there though.

Last edited by ADias; 11-11-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Get differed adjudication or defensive driving. You'll still have to pay but no points on your license.
I agree. I got pulled over on Texas 54 west of Dalhart a few years ago on my way to CA and was issued a speeding citation by the sheriff. A citation that I believed was issued in error -- I won't cite the circumstances but I felt I was on solid legal footing in challenging the ticket.

Anyway, on the the way I back stopped in Dalhart and snagged some attorney phone numbers from the phone book.

When I arrived home I called one and arranged for him to represent me. Short story is with my clean driving record I was given 6 months probation and deferred adjudication (though it was called something a bit different PBA -- probation before adjudication?).

While I had to pay the attorney a fee ($150?) and court costs ($75?) (the citation was several years ago and I'm sure the costs have risen but probably not by much) these charges were less than I would have paid had I just pleaded guilty and paid the fine. No points either. With points it makes it impossible to get PBA or fight a ticket anywhere else cause the presence of points screams "habitual speeder!" And the judge slams down the gavel and says "Guilty. See the clerk".

Thus, I fight every ticket I believe bogus or unwarranted in order to keep points off my record for this reason. And to keep my insurance costs down, too, of course.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:30 PM
beachview
Instructor

Like other have said, pay the fine and avoid the POINTS!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Spectro28
Ok - titillating subject. I live in DC, and drive around the area, including Virginia. Radar detectors banned in both jurisdictions. I may be interested in installing one, as I also drive in Maryland, where they aren't banned. Heaven forbid I forget to power it down when I cross over into DC, though...

Are there subtle installations for cases such as my own???

My darling wife has suggested that "3 strikes and I'm out..." and my new pcar becomes hers, and I get the Fiesta.

Thanks!
I have had a V1 for years and still got a citation outside of Dalhart which I believe was issued in error. I argued a bit with the sheriff that he had his lights on to pull me over -- he was coming towards me -- even before he switched on the radar. The car attracted him.

In another instance, down on I-20 around Cisco TX late at night, and night time speed limit is 65mph and strictly enforced I was moving along at the 65mph limit and got a warning chirp from the V1 and over the CB truckers were reporting a bear in the middle. I pulled over into the slow lane and slowed to 60mph.

I was going so slow 2 big rigs had pulled out to go around me. But a little red car directly behind my car pulled out into the fast lane and zoomed by my car just as we both crested a slight rise. At the same time V1 went crazy.

I watched thinking of course the red car was going to get pulled over but the cop (city kitty) pulled out and came after me and pulled me over! Over the CB I heard one trucker say "he's got the wrong 4-wheeler!".

Not supposed but I was plenty angry about being wrongly pulled over and I argued a bit with the officer. I even showed him a GPS device that showed since leaving FT. Worth I had not exceeded 65mph but he just dismissed the display with some derisive comment about not knowing anything about those kinds of gadgets. But I did manage to raise enough doubt in his mind about the situation -- V1 helps by providing situational awareness -- and to his credit the officer backed off a bit and gave me a warning.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket in a Porsche in Texas.