Sponsored by:

997 door panel issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:28 PM
bfrey
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 door panel issues

I have a 2007 997s. (19,000 miles) The top of the door panel is separating on the horizontal area near the back of the drivers side window. Anyone had a similar problem? I have been told I need to replace the entire panel to fix. Any help appreciated.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The interiors of these 997s just don't seem made to last. After 1.5 years, I am really wondering if I can hang onto this car because of the interior materials. Probably should have gone for full leather, but even then...I don't know...lots of bits are still not leather...if even the leather holds up better...
Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shouldn't this be covered by the warranty still? My 2008 is covered for four years.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by stevepow
The interiors of these 997s just don't seem made to last. After 1.5 years, I am really wondering if I can hang onto this car because of the interior materials. Probably should have gone for full leather, but even then...I don't know...lots of bits are still not leather...if even the leather holds up better...
+1. All the painted bits in mine, the so-called "soft touch" paint finish has chemically deteriorated (NOT due to UV, as windows have strongest anti-UV-film tint applied, and car is either garaged or parked under a canopy 99% of the time) to where the slightest touch from a hard object will peel it off. This affects the entire console, the area around the power window switches, plastic door trim, even the strip of metal between the windshield and leather dash.

The leather finish on the seat bolsters is cracking (despite routine conditioning) and the color has worn to the backing on the piping alongside the seats.

Oh, and the carpet on the rear deck is faded almost to white from tan.

This car is an '05 with <30K miles. My '03 M-B with 67K miles shows virtually no wear to the leather (no, it's not Tex, it's real leather), but in fairness the soft-touch paint is also softened and peels easily. But there isn't nearly as many surfaces with it.

I don't really expect that any car maker today cares about anything they don't have to pay for under warranty, but as someone who remembers the quality of materials in German cars of the 60s-80's it's very irritating. I feel for you with one that's only 1.5 yrs old and already showing wear. I recall an editorial comment in one of the Porsche mags a few months back from a fellow in HK who was lamenting how badly his late-model P-car was deteriorating interiorly compared to the older air-cooled models.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:49 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Never had any issues like this with BMWs I had or Lexus either - I reckon they don't use that "soft paint" stuff - wonder why Porsche still does - they gotta know it doesn't hold up.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:56 PM
lig
Racer

Waiting for the Porsche apologists to chime in.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by stevepow
Never had any issues like this with BMWs I had or Lexus either - I reckon they don't use that "soft paint" stuff - wonder why Porsche still does - they gotta know it doesn't hold up.
Well, I've never owned a Lexus and my last bimmer was a '97, so I can't speak for those. I have friends who have VWs and Audis and those have quite a bit of the soft-touch paint inside. My '03 E-Class has it (or more accurately had it) inside the door-pull cut-outs in the armrests, on the A/C vent sliders, and on the instrument cluster mask. The latter I made them replace under warranty. Now I know to avoid touching it.

I think maybe you and I notice it more because ours both have the sand beige interior, and the light color shows nicks and such more readily (maybe...I think). A few of the pieces in mine (the console, thankfully, ashtray cover, even the ignition switch donut) are sand-beige plastic under the paint, so when it peels it isn't as bad as the other parts which are black plastic underneath.

I know someone with a charcoal interior and until I pointed it out to him he hadn't even noticed where the paint had nicked.

The good news is, there's an awesome upholstery/trim shop right by my office and they say they can restore the interior, leather, carpet etc to like-new any time I want. The bad news is...well, I don't know the bad news yet because I was afraid to ask the cost.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

My '09 C2S is still too new to judge, but I had a '99 996 for 8 years and experienced none of the cracking, fading, peeling, etc. that is being mentioned here. When I sold it, the interior still looked brand new. I think it is pretty much universally accepted that interior materials in the 997 are superior to the 996; having owned both I would certainly say so.

Not meaning to question what folks are saying, just that it's amazing that this kind of deterioration is occuring in cars that are not overexposed to UV/sunlight or abused in some other way.

To the OP, as was mentioned by others, if this is an '07 with only 19K miles, your cracking issue should be covered by warranty. Even if you bought it in late '06 and the warranty has just expired, Porsche might be willing to make some accommodation.

Guess this post makes me a "Porsche apologist".
Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My '05 has several of these issues -- panel glue coming off as well as many scratches on the inside console and buttons.

BMW does use rubberized paint as well. My 2007 had rubber on the steering wheel as well as the AC/Audio Control panels. In the 2 years that I had it, the only thing that showed any sign of wear was the rubberized paint inside. I had multiple scratches by doing nothing other than just using the buttons and steering wheel.

Not that huge of a deal for me...
-T
Old 11-11-2010, 07:59 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a PRG/Beige (very beige)interior 09 launch car. To tell the truth I was expecting a more substantial/quality interior. It's OK but not what I would call top of the line.... Carpeting certainly middle of the road and the vinyl dash looks years old already. I'm seeing so many American cars with fantastic interiors. I'm happy with the car but it's interior is certainly nothing to brag about. The Honda S2000 has an interior that compares with any car on the market today. I'm sure that for another 20K Porsche will include an interior that you could brag about but honestly tell me what you would brag about in the 100K Porsche S?. Nothing special.....
My interior will look "as new" ten years from now and maybe that will be the time to brag about it but it will be my care and feeding that makes it look good.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 Jake...I have had the same thoughts......
Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Unfortunately, you really have to (1) opt for natural leathers for better durability and (2) put leather on as much of the slush finish areas as you can afford.

The slush finish is worthless, and in high wear areas will fail in no time, cheapening the appearance of your interior. For example, the center consoles are too high a wear location and really need something much more durable to survive.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:39 PM
lig
Racer

lol... Mike - you aren't one that I would characterize as an apologist. Amusingly there are a few here that feel that Porsche can do no wrong.

As mentioned previously - the more leather the better and if it happens to be the natural leather it's going to be better still.

My full leather interior is holding up fairly well. Part of my PCM keeps popping off (the switch surround for the Sport and the spoiler) and I had the dealer put it back on. It's come loose again so I may just use a dab of silicone.

My car has a couple annoying rattles that have never gone away completely.

By comparison - my S2000 is still tight as a drum with more miles and way more track/autox miles.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:50 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

I figure, within a few years, as much of the soft finishes as I can do will be replaced with leather or painted (Bumperplugs) - or I do a "live and learn" and order a new car with nat leather as Dan recommends.

That's where they are getting past these JD Powers surveys - sending them out too early before the lack of spare tire (and reality of RA) and fragile interior finishes starts to hit home.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:21 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default road tire recommendation please

Hi folks,

I am looking for a good tire for civilized daily driving. I do not do any track events. My car is a daily driver. Also, I live in SoCal and we have limited rain.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

-T

Quick Reply: 997 door panel issues