Sponsored by:

Autoblog road trip in Germany with 10 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:57 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Nothing visible, other than a slight lower stance and a stiffer ride. SPASM also comes with LSD, even though LSD can also be ordered with regular PASM.

Re PCM settings, go to Renntech.org and download the PCM PDF manuals before your next trip... or take me as co-pilot.

In non SPASM cars with Sport Chrono Plus is the suspension settings also linked to the Sport button?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Changing the PCM language, if you don't read the current language could be a bit daunting. I was fooling around with mine and put it in German - wanted to hear the voice, and was lucky to take note of how to get back to the right place to restore English - and I know just enough German to be dangerous.

I'm guessing if I got into an unfamiliar car and had to change the setup to English, it might take some work.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nearly every single time, the manufacturer puts a window sticker in the glove box (or e-mails a PDF over with the vehicle's options). However, this was a unique situation where an American was picking up a German press car. I was met at the airport by a very nice gentleman who didn't speak a drop of English (well, he did say "hello" pretty well). The owner's manual was in German, as was everything else in the car. I e-mailed my contacts at Porsche, but I never heard back. My USA contacts are excellent, but they couldn't help me either.

One more thing... most press cars are brand new (<4,000 miles), so this was a bit older than what we normally get (most automaker's want to ensure their cars don't rattle and everything appears fresh). Kudos to Porsche build quality, as the car was rock solid.

My favorite picture was taken in downtown Munich, near city center. I crouched down and snapped this in low light, so the shutter was open a bit longer than normal, but it captured the blur of the guy walking by and checking out the car:

- Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://rennlist.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif
Here's mine, with Sport Pasm (-20mm) on a similar profile. Looks like yours has the same ride height, therefore, well you be the judge.
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2010, 06:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by vexed
In non SPASM cars with Sport Chrono Plus is the suspension settings also linked to the Sport button?
Yes. Turning on SC to Sport also turns on PASM Sport (on either PASM or SPASM). However, one can immediately revert PASM to Normal - the so-called Schumacher mode.

There other nuances there too, but I refrain to comment as people in this forum get heated up about that and deny what they are not able to feel.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 PM
brt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Emission
My favorite picture was taken in downtown Munich, near city center. I crouched down and snapped this in low light, so the shutter was open a bit longer than normal, but it captured the blur of the guy walking by and checking out the car...
Lovely shot...
Old 11-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
but I refrain to comment as people in this forum get heated up about that and deny what they are not able to feel.
You can only feel it because of the short wheelbase, naturally.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nugget
You can only feel it because of the short wheelbase, naturally.
You are correct!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by chago996
https://rennlist.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif
Here's mine, with Sport Pasm (-20mm) on a similar profile. Looks like yours has the same ride height, therefore, well you be the judge.
Considering the car's other options (sport seats, sport exhaust and PCCB), I'd say it has Sport PASM. Cool.

- Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 PM
mdeleeuw
Intermediate

Default "Sport" PASM is only NA I think

I have heard that the "Sport" option for PASM is a NA-exclusive option. In other words, RoW cars come equipped as standard with the lower ride height. Just what I have heard...

Would be interesting if someone could confirm this.

Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Considering the car's other options (sport seats, sport exhaust and PCCB), I'd say it has Sport PASM. Cool.

- Mike
Hard to tell. EU and US (DOT) cars have different height reqs for the same suspension type.

Next time I suggest you open the Owners Manual. There you may find a sticker with the original car options...
Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdeleeuw
I have heard that the "Sport" option for PASM is a NA-exclusive option. In other words, RoW cars come equipped as standard with the lower ride height. Just what I have heard...

Would be interesting if someone could confirm this.

Mike
In Europe you have two suspensions on the 997.2S (PASM and SPASM), as in the US. For the 997.1S, SPASM was not available in the US, but available in the EU. I do not know what is offered elsewhere, other than those 2 regions.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 580 Posts

My favorite picture was taken in downtown Munich, near city center. I crouched down and snapped this in low light, so the shutter was open a bit longer than normal, but it captured the blur of the guy walking by and checking out the car:

- Mike
Thats a very cool shot - i love the color... The guy checking out the car is cool too.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Frino
Pro

Mike,

Thanks for hanging out with us here at RL. Thanks as well for the classy way in which you responded to the cheap shot from one of our fellow rennlisters.

Autoblog has become my daily source of auto industry news. You and your fellow Autoblog journalists time and again manage to publish articles that are both informative and fun to read.

Great to hear of your passion for all things Porsche. Please don't be a stranger.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:18 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frino
Mike,

Thanks for hanging out with us here at RL. Thanks as well for the classy way in which you responded to the cheap shot from one of our fellow rennlisters.

Autoblog has become my daily source of auto industry news. You and your fellow Autoblog journalists time and again manage to publish articles that are both informative and fun to read.

Great to hear of your passion for all things Porsche. Please don't be a stranger.
+1 The How Not to Buy An International article is classic.

Quick Reply: Autoblog road trip in Germany with 10 C2S