Sponsored by:

Autoblog road trip in Germany with 10 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autoblog road trip in Germany with 10 C2S

Great read. Nice to see how much respect the C2S still gets on the road in Germany.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/08/2...iew/#continued
Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 PM
brt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frino
Great read. Nice to see how much respect the C2S still gets on the road in Germany.
I realize I'm biased, but I liked this part -- especially after much hand-wringing regarding whether or not to order PDK and PCCB. The author's notes mimic my own experience driving cars equipped with ceramic brakes on-track:

Without question, I became a born-again believer in Porsche's ceramic brakes. While I've flogged countless sports cars (and SUVs) equipped with PCCBs, both on and off the track, the $8,150 option always seemed more frill than substance. Why spend a wad of cash on a ridiculously expensive consumable when Porsche's stock cross-drilled brakes, if properly maintained, are nearly perfect? The answer was found on the autobahn.

It's common knowledge that repeated braking from ultra-high speeds wreaks havoc on tradition iron brake rotors – they simply can't dissipate the heat. The result is dangerous brake fade and pedal vibration due to warped rotors and deposited pad material. Unlike iron rotors, the ceramic discs are very resistant to extremely high temperatures. And with PCCBs, brake effectiveness and pedal effort isn't altered after a dozen hard braking and acceleration cycles – common on the crazy-fast, but traffic-laden autobahn. The heat capacity of the braking system seems unlimited, and there is a complete absence of brake judder or vibration. It's impossible to describe the confidence a set of PCCBs imparts when you are tooling down the autobahn at 150 mph and slower traffic cuts you off.

I've also sold my soul to Porsche's Doppelkupplungsgetriebe. As a devout manual transmission junkie, I cautiously embraced Porsche's dual-clutch PDK automatic transmission when it arrived a couple years ago. The computer-controlled gearbox could slam gears faster and smoother than I could on the track, and it was butter-smooth in traffic, yet I still couldn't simply fold. It pains me slightly, and I may be giving up some of my manhood in the process, but I'm ready to admit that the PDK gearbox has finally won me over.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I dunno, I found a lot in the article that I didn't agree with it. I've slammed on the brakes hundreds of times from 150mph in the Texas summer heat and I've never had brake fade with my iron rotors except for when I've slacked and let the pads get too thin. I don't think brake fade or overheating are realistic concerns for any street-driven Porsche. The PCCBs are fine in their own right, you shouldn't need to misrepresent the capability of the iron rotors to justify them.

It's common knowledge that repeated braking from ultra-high speeds wreaks havoc on tradition iron brake rotors – they simply can't dissipate the heat. The result is dangerous brake fade and pedal vibration due to warped rotors and deposited pad material
That "common knowledge" is just nonsense if we're talking about Porsche brakes.

I also disagree with this gem:

...[the 911 ] is [not] able to utilize the talent for anything more than a short sprint between population centers. Both are lightweight and nimble, at the expense of ride comfort over long periods of time.
I trekked my RS (not even a plush Carrera) from Nashville to Houston and arrived after two days of driving wishing I still had farther to go. I don't know how creaky one's *** needs to be before they find the 911 uncomfortable, but at 40 years old I'm not there yet.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget

I trekked my RS (not even a plush Carrera) from Nashville to Houston and arrived after two days of driving wishing I still had farther to go. I don't know how creaky one's *** needs to be before they find the 911 uncomfortable, but at 40 years old I'm not there yet.
Agreed! Great long distance road car.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, I found a lot in the article that I didn't agree with it. I've slammed on the brakes hundreds of times from 150mph in the Texas summer heat and I've never had brake fade with my iron rotors except for when I've slacked and let the pads get too thin. I don't think brake fade or overheating are realistic concerns for any street-driven Porsche. The PCCBs are fine in their own right, you shouldn't need to misrepresent the capability of the iron rotors to justify them.

"It's common knowledge that repeated braking from ultra-high speeds wreaks havoc on tradition iron brake rotors – they simply can't dissipate the heat."

Note I never said "Porsche brakes" in that line... I said "traditional iron brakes." In fact, I also said this in the paragraph immediately before it: "Why spend a wad of cash on a ridiculously expensive consumable when Porsche's stock cross-drilled brakes, if properly maintained, are nearly perfect?"

My *** is a creaky 42 years old, and I drive a lot of cars each year. My butt was never sore, but my point was that there are much more comfortable cars to tool cross-country in (remember, I chose the 911 for this story... they wanted me to have a Panamera).

I'm hoping to pick up a CPO 997 C2S next year...

- Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 02:51 PM
brt3
Instructor

The long-distance comment seems a little odd, given the quality of pavement in Germany. However, different strokes for different folks. If I were driving cross-country I'd prefer the Panamera to a 911; on the drive from here (30-min. north of SF) to Monterey, I'd always choose the 911...

I think it's pretty difficult to get across points in a review limited to several paragraphs, and I liked the article all-in-all. The part of the PCCB comments that resonated with my experience is how ceramic brakes seem smoother (both regarding feel and sound) than conventional brakes, and how they give you a feeling of supreme confidence. Having driven quite a bit on the autobahn, this is pretty critical. On our roads not so much, but the author also had my initial reaction of "Geez -- that's a lot of money for brakes!"...
Old 11-08-2010, 02:51 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Emission

My *** is a creaky 42 years old, and I drive a lot of cars each year. My butt was never sore, but my point was that there are much more comfortable cars to tool cross-country in (remember, I chose the 911 for this story... they wanted me to have a Panamera).

- Mike
42--you are a kid

We'd be glad to help you find your 997
Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by vexed
42--you are a kid

We'd be glad to help you find your 997
Sounds like a plan.

I've got an '86 930, and I race a '98 Boxster... I'll likely sell the 930 for a 997 at the end of next year (I just don't drive the 930 enough to justify its space in my garage).

- Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by brt3
The long-distance comment seems a little odd, given the quality of pavement in Germany. However, different strokes for different folks. If I were driving cross-country I'd prefer the Panamera to a 911; on the drive from here (30-min. north of SF) to Monterey, I'd always choose the 911...

I think it's pretty difficult to get across points in a review limited to several paragraphs, and I liked the article all-in-all. The part of the PCCB comments that resonated with my experience is how ceramic brakes seem smoother (both regarding feel and sound) than conventional brakes, and they give you a feeling of supreme confidence. Having driven quite a bit on the autobahn, this is pretty critical. On our roads not so much, but the author also had my initial reaction of "Geez -- that's a lot of money for brakes!"...
This was my seventh trip driving on the autobahn, and I agree the highways are generally very smooth. However, there was a lot of construction going on in October (with the expected broken pavement) up by Frankfurt. In the south, down by Austria, the roads were much smoother and less traveled.

I can tell by pedal feel the difference between iron and PCCB (it is the initial bite). PCCB brakes also make a faint "brushing" noise at low speeds. You need to listen for it.

- Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

A couple of exceptions. Yes, it is very common for Germany-based Porsches to suffer from warped rotors--I have seen it before several times on Porsches that spent most of their life on the autobahns. It is very common there to be up to 150 or so and then be forced to brake down to 75 or so and then back on the hammer again and again.

The reporter's comments about not understanding German (on the navigational system) reflects his lack of familiarity with the Porsche. You simply go in and change the LANGUAGE on the PCM. Silly. To use a Garmin while he has an integrated nav, reflects stupidity--typical for most auto magazine writers.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:25 PM
chago996
Racer

Looking at the ride height, it seems the car also had Sport Pasm suspension, but no mention of it or what settings he used. It makes a difference in comfort as to what setting, and which suspension it has.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Emission
"It's common knowledge that repeated braking from ultra-high speeds wreaks havoc on tradition iron brake rotors – they simply can't dissipate the heat."

Note I never said "Porsche brakes" in that line... I said "traditional iron brakes." In fact, I also said this in the paragraph immediately before it: "Why spend a wad of cash on a ridiculously expensive consumable when Porsche's stock cross-drilled brakes, if properly maintained, are nearly perfect?"

- Mike
Emission (Mike) - I take it you are the author of the AutoBlog article - Nice write up.

And thanks for coming here to comment on your own article as well. Seems like this assignment gave you the perfect way to test drive your future car.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The reporter's comments about not understanding German (on the navigational system) reflects his lack of familiarity with the Porsche. You simply go in and change the LANGUAGE on the PCM. Silly. To use a Garmin while he has an integrated nav, reflects stupidity--typical for most auto magazine writers.
Stupidity? Typical for most auto magazine writers?

Do me a favor, and hold off on making general assumptions about people until you have met them (or at least done some research about their qualifications). Do you want me to make a generalization about guys who drive Cabriolets with the PCCB option? I've learned not to do that crap, as there are a handful of guys who drive Cabs with ceramics who are true enthusiasts...

BTW, I've driven nearly every model Porsche has in their lineup in Europe (throughout France, Germany, Italy, Austria and Portugal). All were equipped with NAV, yet nobody has ever been able to show me how to flip it from GERMAN -> ENGLISH. Send me instructions, and you'll make my job easier. That aside, my personal Garmin had about two dozen waypoints programmed (back in the States) making it one hellava lot easier for the journey.

I just noticed you live in SB. I used to be very active with the SB PCA (Editor of its newsletter) and I race with the POC. We've probably met.

- Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by Edgy01

I don't think failing to figure something out on the PCM reflects anyone's stupidity but the doofuses who designed the PCM
Old 11-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by chago996
Looking at the ride height, it seems the car also had Sport Pasm suspension, but no mention of it or what settings he used. It makes a difference in comfort as to what setting, and which suspension it has.
Yes, it has PASM.

I mentioned, "minor criticism on the open autobahn due to body oscillations (setting the suspension in "Standard" mode helps a bit)." Most of the time I hit "Sport" and then turned the shock settings back to normal. I like the "Sport" setting for the PDK, but the suspension was too harsh unless I was having fun on the side roads.

- Mike

Quick Reply: Autoblog road trip in Germany with 10 C2S