henrysko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good one!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

A coupe styled like a sedan. Still looks like the perfect grocery getter to me.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
are we really comparing an RS5 to a panamera. the RS5 is a coupe first off, and 2ndly, its much smaller than the panamera.
...but the RS5 probably weighs the same as a V8 Panamera, and the Panamera is likely better balanced, plus it's more practical.

What puts them on different planes is cost; to get RS5 performance, one would have to step up to the Panamera S for a lot more money.

The RS5 is in a niche by itself, which I'm sure is purely intentional; it is more expensive and exclusive than the M3, and as has been the pattern with the Audi S4 and RS4 over the years, is on very different production schedule from the M3. With the new 3-series around the corner, the current M3 is on its way out...
Old 11-08-2010, 04:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Please STOP comparing RS5 to Panamera! Come on guys... If you do, then I need to disucss how FUGLY Panamera is! Seriously... I saw one this weekend parked on my street and I really couldn't stop cringing at how incredibly ugly it is...

RS5 is direct competitor to M3.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:24 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexb76
Please STOP comparing RS5 to Panamera! Come on guys... If you do, then I need to disucss how FUGLY Panamera is! Seriously... I saw one this weekend parked on my street and I really couldn't stop cringing at how incredibly ugly it is...

RS5 is direct competitor to M3.
Anyways no contest there, RS5 beats the Panamera in the fugly dept.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You guys are nuts if you think the RS5 is uglier than the Panamera... Hell, I'd rather have an Alpina B7 over the Panamera for that money.

My point was not to replace the C4S. That would only happen if I did an RS5/Cayman Clubsport combo. Even then, I might push the C4S to my wife as "her" car. Also, I am pressing hard to get the 6-speed, those seats, and the carbon brakes into the US version. So much hate - I'm really surprised considering the long history between the brands.

Anyway, thanks for looking. I think it's an amazing car that I'd NEVER drive at 10/10th, take to the track, etc. It would just be a nice, fast, comfortable, good-looking daily driver.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Have you seen the Pan from the front in real life. Doubt it.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:45 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Have you seen the Pan from the front in real life. Doubt it.
Yes, I have! Multiple times, first saw it unveilved at Frankfurt Auto show, then in EU before it was released here, then at dealership, then at multiple places around town including parked right in front of my place. It is seriously one of the ugliest *luxury/sport* cars in the market! The fact that the design is not the greatest look is not even debated by Porsche, and they're going to re-design it with input from VW group (see earlier articles).

I am a total Porsche fan and I believe it's a GREAT car, and a lot of engineerings has gone into it, it's just damn fugly! It's their first try at a 4-door, so gotto give em some slack. It will be better in next iteration, when I may consider it.

RS5 on the other hand (A5/S5) has won many design awards inside/out, so please just don't be so incredibly biased!

Funny quote from Jeremy Clarkson:
The Panamera, though, is worse. People have tried to be kind, saying that it’s challenging and that it’s unusual. But the simple fact of the matter is this: it’s as ugly as an inside-out monkey. It’s dreadful. Part Austin Maxi, it looks like someone with no talent at all was trying to describe what they wanted to a blind person, over the phone.
I tried one on a recent trip to Romania and I thought it was a very good car. But that’s like saying Ann Widdecombe has a heart of gold. It’s possibly true but it’s completely irrelevant. You still wouldn’t.
Ann Widdecombe, in case you're wondering!

Last edited by alexb76; 11-09-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:12 AM
lig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the RS5. Stunning - inside and out. Any comparison to a Panamera is ludicrous. Other than being German and having 4 seats there is no real commonality.

And yes - I've seen several in person. Nice looking in the front. Pacer clone in the back. I wouldn't care if it were the finest driving car in the world it's just not appealing to me in any way, shape or form.

Who would honestly cross shop the two?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Great looking car, but no stick and waaaaaaaay too heavy.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Yes, I have! Multiple times, first saw it unveilved at Frankfurt Auto show, then in EU before it was released here, then at dealership, then at multiple places around town including parked right in front of my place. It is seriously one of the ugliest *luxury/sport* cars in the market! The fact that the design is not the greatest look is not even debated by Porsche, and they're going to re-design it with input from VW group (see earlier articles).

I am a total Porsche fan and I believe it's a GREAT car, and a lot of engineerings has gone into it, it's just damn fugly! It's their first try at a 4-door, so gotto give em some slack. It will be better in next iteration, when I may consider it.

RS5 on the other hand (A5/S5) has won many design awards inside/out, so please just don't be so incredibly biased!
Well lot of people need to fill the Mental hospitals, you just haven't been admitted yet. There is no way the Audi looks better.

The Honda accord has won more design awards then the Audi. Please this not about car manufacturers buying awards that are meaning less.

I am not biased, the Pan looks freaking hot from the front. The RS5 looks like an Accord coupe or any other sedan out there. Put 2 rear doors on it and its a A6.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Well lot of people need to fill the Mental hospitals, you just haven't been admitted yet. There is no way the Audi looks better.

The Honda accord has won more design awards then the Audi. Please this not about car manufacturers buying awards that are meaning less.
I really didn't wanna respond to such a BS statement and personal attack. Please refrain from such language, we can agree to disagree and when it comes to design/looks it's very personal.

Even YOU only say Panamera looks good from *front*, suggesting it's NOT hot from the rear/side! You also assumed I (or the OP) hasn't seen Panamera in person which wasn't true, as I probably saw Panamera WAY BEFORE you did (1st day of unveiling)!

I am not biased, the Pan looks freaking hot from the front. The RS5 looks like an Accord coupe or any other sedan out there. Put 2 rear doors on it and its a A6.
That is the UNDERSTATEMENT of the year!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:34 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

... we can agree to disagree and when it comes to design/looks it's very personal. ...
You are so right! You just cannot admit that others actually like the Panamera.

Here we are in a car enthusiast forum and people base their car likes-dislikes on looks rather than on sheer performance and driving dynamics, which the Panamera has and the RS5 less so.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:09 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
You are so right! You just cannot admit that others actually like the Panamera.

Here we are in a car enthusiast forum and people base their car likes-dislikes on looks rather than on sheer performance and driving dynamics, which the Panamera has and the RS5 less so.
Agreed Tony. It's personal. The car dynamics were never in question but personally for me it just doesn't have the kind of design worthy of such performance and consensus is in alignment with what I or Chris perceive. But at the end of the day it's personal opinion determining which car looks good or not!

Cheers
Old 11-09-2010, 08:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Agreed Tony. It's personal. The car dynamics were never in question but personally for me it just doesn't have the kind of design worthy of such performance and consensus is in alignment with what I or Chris perceive. But at the end of the day it's personal opinion determining which car looks good or not!

Cheers
I am sorry to disappoint you, but I think that the Panamera is a much better looking car than the RS5. I do! The RS5 is just your average jelly-bean sedan. I did not like the Panamera when I first saw the development mules, but once the car was released it quickly grew on me, and many people I know. And I am not a sedan guy.

Quick Reply: My RS5 review