Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What alignment machine should my indy shop be using?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:45 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What alignment machine should my indy shop be using?

I've been using an independent shop for my 05 C2, and they are great! I need to replace tires and would like a full alignment when I do this tire swap. Is there a specific alignment machine that I should ask if they use, or do I need a dealer to do the alignment?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:29 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the standard for alignment machines is Hunter. More important is that the machine is level and calibrated and the technicians knows how to use it properly.

You may want to have a copy of the specs to verify their machine is setting to the proper specs. Most if not all machines will have the factory specs already loaded however alignment is so critical I'd want to know they are correct.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Use a shop that specializes in alignments and suspension related repairs. More than the equipment, they have the knowledge to easily do a precise alignment. Don't confuse costs with the quality of work. Ask around who sets up local racers cars and SCCA members. Here it's a shop that's been around for generations, they did my foreign cars back when other shops wouldn't touch them. They did 4 wheel alignment on my 996 for $59.95. Could let go of the wheel at 130mph+ very even tire wear aslde from the neg camber inside edge wear. I have aligned cars in the driveway accurately using string, straight edges, tape measures, levels and squares. It's not rocket science but a lot easier on a rack.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:52 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! Are the factory specs readily available so that I could take them in for comparison?

Quick Reply: What alignment machine should my indy shop be using?