Sponsored by:

Found a way to secure my spare tire 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Found a way to secure my spare tire 997.1

It might not be the most elegant. But I've got a 17 inch "Leaner" spare tire and found a tie down point. I used an old dog collar and found a steel piece next to the CD player that had some gaps. I looped the dog collar through the gaps, then through the wheel itself. The tire does not budge and there is little to no pressure on the strap, tire, or steel. I completed my kit with a plastic bag, plug kit, razor, etc. I think it turned out pretty well. There is still some room under the tire and on top for small things. But I rarely use this space anyway.
I decided on this collar method because I was worried about a bungee cord snapping loose and banging the hook against the inside of the hood giving me an dimple it the hood.
Attached Images   

Last edited by TerpsRED; 11-04-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool! Great job.

I'd like to put a "real" spare in mine, but I have a C4 with the NAV option installed after the car was originally sold, so I'm pretty sure my frunk space isn't big enough.

Even if I could put a 17" spare in there, could I use that on the rear of a C4 if I needed to?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows
Cool! Great job.

I'd like to put a "real" spare in mine, but I have a C4 with the NAV option installed after the car was originally sold, so I'm pretty sure my frunk space isn't big enough.

Even if I could put a 17" spare in there, could I use that on the rear of a C4 if I needed to?
According to legend, and perhaps the manual for cars that had spares, the procedure is to move a front wheel/tire to the rear and put the spare on the front. A lot of weight back there on those wheels, so I know that's what I would do with that little "bicycle" spare. Two tire changes in that case, but with tire hangers and the more or less available tool kit that goes with the jack, tire changes are really quick and simple.

Reminds me, gotta add some wheel chocks to my kit.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by csorrows
Cool! Great job.

Probably better off with collapsible variant of the spare - still a 17, but 2 inches wider, yet 2 inches less diameter than the inflated version. Unfortunately also harder to find a deal on - the 17x3.5 wheels are all over ebay - many including the jack and tools. Beware of 16in and even 15in older spares.

Here is a good post, recalled, covering using that 996-362-020-02 in a C4 by Coochas:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-tire-c4s.html

Last edited by stevepow; 11-05-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevepow
Probably better off with collapsible variant of the spare - still a 17, but 2 inches wider, yet 2 inches less diameter than the inflated version. Unfortunately also harder to find a deal on - the 17x3.5 wheels are all over ebay - many including the jack and tools. Beware of 16in and even 15in older spares.
Just to restate the obvious -- and to make sure I've not missed anything -- there is no spare tire solution for owners of cars with PCCB, correct? I recall someone posted that the increased diameter of these brake discs is incompatible with any of the spare tire solutions mentioned here. Let's not even get into the center-lock issue; guess you pays your money and takes your chances...
Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Found this picture. This shows a nut welded to a piece of steel and fastened to the metal under the trunk carpet. There was a threaded rod and a wing nut that goes with this pic if I remember correctly (don't have it). Cut a small hole in carpeting where threaded rod that's thru lug hole in wheel goes into nut. Then tighten wingnut on other end of threaded rod thru lug hole in wheel and you're secure!
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brt3
Just to restate the obvious -- and to make sure I've not missed anything -- there is no spare tire solution for owners of cars with PCCB, correct?
Correct. Even though PCCBs have different overall diameters in NA and Turbo models (and front to back) they are ALL too big for any current spare.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LlBr
Found this picture. This shows a nut welded to a piece of steel and fastened to the metal under the trunk carpet. There was a threaded rod and a wing nut that goes with this pic if I remember correctly (don't have it). Cut a small hole in carpeting where threaded rod that's thru lug hole in wheel goes into nut. Then tighten wingnut on other end of threaded rod thru lug hole in wheel and you're secure!
My car has that grey metal bar with ovals - bulkhead brace maybe? , but there is no silver plate in any of the ovals with a nut welded to it. Was it a 997.1 or .2?

Quick Reply: Found a way to secure my spare tire 997.1