Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wax question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Ofcourse Carnuba wax doesn't last as long... it's natural product, doesn't hurt the paint, and environment (if you care), and it DOES have the BEST SHINE. I rather use natural Carnuba wax and apply more frequently than the synthetic crap!

So, I vote again for P21S, Griot's, or OneGrand Blitz Wax (lastest longing Carnuba wax). I don't know of any reputale detailer locally that prefers Zaino over P21S!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zaino is not "synthetic crap" as one posted. It's a high quality show car sealant which has gone through newer formulations to improve the look and durability.

Some prefer wax, others sealant and that's fine. Each has it's own attributes.

One trick I use for car shows outside when you want a warmer look or more depth is to top Zaino with a wax. Once shows done, I strip the wax off.

Zaino on a finish b istelf now is warm, but not as soft as a wax in reflection. Zaino has a bit more reflection, more clean looking. Putting wax on a finish that is clean is as if you just washed your hair and then added Vitalis. Waxes are loaded with oils to help hide swirl marks or micro-marring. That's the design of the majority of waxes until you get into lofty waxes and even then, some use even more oils.

Glaze is loaded with oil and a very fine powedered clay used to fill swirls or amrring prior to wax and can add more depth to a wax than anything else.

Sealants can sometimes bring out the swirls or marring more than wax due to the optical clarity. No fillers and very clear.

As for coverage in winter, I've used Zaino just for this. Then, due to temp or water issues, use a product such as Optimum ONR or Optimum No Rinse. It's a product that you wash the finish with and not rinse off. Works very well and so far, has not marred the finish if done correctly.

Leather cleaning for new leather is simple. Use Woolite and distilled water 10 to 1. That's all most leather cleaners are anyway, soap, perfume and color. When you do this, use white cotton towels to gauge level of dirt. Prior to using a leather conditioner, it HAS to be dry. Then use a high quality leather conditioner strickly for car use.

Leatherique is fine for older leather, but for todays leather, it's overkill and can lead to a film sitting on the coating of the leather.

Detailing is very subjective and what may look great to me may look like crap to someone elses eyes or thoughts on how a finish should look.

As for a "PC" or Porter Cable, one of the best ways to polish a finish without damage. Unless you detail for a living DO NOT use a rotary. On a Porsche finish, it's death by polisher in a heartbeat.

There are many informative sites to look up how to properly detail from washing, claying, polishing and LSP or Last Step Prep.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Here's a good example of Zaino on silver:

A little closer :

Now really, does this look like crap?

Deanski
Old 11-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Here's what ONR can do for you when you cannot wash normally:

ONR is a NO RINSE way to wash your car.

Deanski
Old 11-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

And when things get really bad as in this MB that had so much orange peel, it was wetsanded and polished with Menzerna PO85RD to a high gloss.

Note, not me in the picture.

Here's the end result:

Deanski
Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I think Black magic wet shine was #1 rated
Old 11-05-2010, 07:53 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Ofcourse Carnuba wax doesn't last as long... it's natural product, doesn't hurt the paint, and environment (if you care), and it DOES have the BEST SHINE. I rather use natural Carnuba wax and apply more frequently than the synthetic crap!

So, I vote again for P21S, Griot's, or OneGrand Blitz Wax (lastest longing Carnuba wax). I don't know of any reputale detailer locally that prefers Zaino over P21S!
I agree about P21S, I've been using it for a long time. I use P21S Carnauba except for the last wax before winter when I use a longer lasting synthetic wax (usually Meguiars NXT Tech Wax ) because I won't be applying any wax again until spring.

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Try Consumer Reports,you will be suprised: $$ not = quality
Consumer Reports? Isn't that the magazine that rates cars based on how easy it is to attach child seats and how many wheelchairs you can fit in the trunk?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by linklaw
Collinite insulator wax. Good shine and very durable.
I've used Colinite in the past with great results.... I forgot all about the brand over the years.. Thanks for the reminder... great product....

Quick Reply: Wax question