Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside Asst and Flat Tire Story - long...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Serrated pocket knife with a laser attachement?

Give it a shot at home as a test. Have you ever tried to cut tire before? You might as well wait for porsche service- it'll take you a day to cut the tire. I haven't cut one for some time (I cut a few for a local playground years ago). But even with power tools (sawzall and cut-off wheel) it was NOT easy. I'm not sure about these but some tires have a thick wire band in the bead.
Sounds like a reality TV show concept:

SURVIVOR: PORSCHE
Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

or: are you smarter than a 5th grader?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:17 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
The bead is left on the wheel (Duh). The sidewall is what was sliced thru. The sidewall radial wires are individually thin and weak, collectively they have great strength.

Again, saw it on TV. Intuitively it would seem easy to cut thru LIGHTWEIGHT tires like ours. They're not armor-plated and they're not thick gauge stainless steel (i.e. very tough) wire.

Only way to know for sure is for somebody to try it. Any volunteers?
My experience tells me that cutting around the sidewall all the way around on both sides of the tire would not be hard to do - the thickness of the wall where I got my puncture was maybe over 1/8 inch if that. I think a decent razor blade or two or a carpet knife would cut through it like butter - obviously, you don't try cutting the tread or the bead. Then you leave the "bead ring" on the wheel, if necessary, and discard the circular tread carcass - and scoot off to avoid being fined for littering - or just let the "semi" taxes cover it - they dump rubber on the roads all the time.

The problem with this approach is that if the W&T Warranty people want to see the punctured tire, you're F'd.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Serrated pocket knife with a laser attachement?

Give it a shot at home as a test. Have you ever tried to cut tire before? You might as well wait for porsche service- it'll take you a day to cut the tire. I haven't cut one for some time (I cut a few for a local playground years ago). But even with power tools (sawzall and cut-off wheel) it was NOT easy. I'm not sure about these but some tires have a thick wire band in the bead.
++++ Spoken by someone who knows !!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
My experience tells me that cutting around the sidewall all the way around on both sides of the tire would not be hard to do - the thickness of the wall where I got my puncture was maybe over 1/8 inch if that.
Me too. I'm thinking a unit like this would do the trick.

Again somebody would have to TRY it - speculation is just for entertainment.

The serrated titanium scuba knife I have would destroy with great ease a few thousand regular steel wires in a sidewall. Again, their __SIDEWALL__ strength is en masse not individually. I think they're just regular carbon steel alloy, not stainless steel which is much harder to cut.

BTW, the knife below will never be the same if it gets the job done

Whatever. I'd run outside in a minute to try it if I had a trashed tire. No: not going to use a perfectly good tire on the car.

Not an ego thing. Don't care who's right. Just want to know if it would work on OUR rubber sidewalls.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2010, 02:35 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

overkill - I bet my pocket Swiss Victorinox can to it I have a nail in my front now - if I can get Hennessy to replace it and let me have a go with the knife, I'll do it...I'll take the Gerber multi-tool as backup!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Def leaving the beads will be easier than trying to take the whole tire off. Take a video(or at least time it)!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Gee guys, I was totally wrong to assume there was steel in the sidewalls.

I ain't seeing any mention of steel wiring in the sidewalls in Google-world; I could be wrong.

Of course no steel in the sidewalls means easy to cut.

LINK:

http://sites.google.com/site/kingdom...t-system/tires
Old 11-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
The second picture with your wheel/rim face down - that has to be the cleanest inside rim I've ever seen! I'm torn between being impressed (about your fastidiousness ) and embarrassed (by my lack thereof).
Rears tend to stay reasonably clean.

With respect to cutting the tire off--you would simply not be able to do it. There are cords everywhere, and they are tough.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:44 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Rears tend to stay reasonably clean.
Because I clean mine every week.

I was thinking they looked pretty bad in the photos - but I had been driving around on them for 400-500 miles...so...

Last edited by stevepow; 11-03-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:45 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LlBr
Gee guys, I was totally wrong to assume there was steel in the sidewalls.
That's what I was thinking...butter...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:45 PM
LlBr
Drifting

overkill - I bet my pocket Swiss Victorinox can to it I have a nail in my front now - if I can get Hennessy to replace it and let me have a go with the knife, I'll do it...I'll take the Gerber multi-tool as backup!

YAY Steve!

If none of that works we can always carry a Sawsall where the fire extinguisher would normally go.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried cutting off a tire a few years ago as I had found rims for my 20 year old VW at a junkyard and was refurbing them. You would be shocked at how easy something pointy goes into the sidewall. Not only does it go in easy, its even easier to saw away.

As for cutting the bead, good luck with that. Very, very tough to cut through it and you have to pry it up to get to it. I ended up having to go to a place to have them use the machine to get it off.

Sidewalls though are easy.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,349 Posts

imagine what the introduction of CL wheels would add to this scenario ...
Old 11-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

They only replaced the one tire - that is all that is covered. The tire was at 8500 miles with decent tread, maybe 1/2 done. I know - not what PAG recommends - I'll see what my dealer says about it. If I have to, I'll replace the other one. It is a pretty weak coverage, but if it replaces also the front tire I have now with the nail in it, I'm ahead $100 and have 3.5 years left of coverage.
At 8500 miles considerable tire tread gone. Therefore the new tire and original tire differ quite a bit in diameter.

I don't remember the exact numbers but the speed readings from the left and right tire want to be pretty darn close. There's a call out in my 996 Turbo's factory manual regarding the max. allowable differences and I bet the dealer has something on the 997 models.

If the other side needs replacing due to the difference in diameters I wonder if the tire coverage will cover it?

Sorry to read about your incident.

I had to have my 02 Boxster towed 70+ miles to the Wichita KS Porsche dealer late one night after hitting some road debris and busting a radiator. Nearly $200 tow bill and I got to spend a night in a motel nearby.

The dealer's service department manager was nice though and gave me a free loaner (not a Porsche but still free!) and he got the car into the shop early Monday (accident happened late Sunday night) and had the parts on order before noon, which came early before noon the next day, and the car fixed mid-afternoon on Tuesday.

Very impressive service. And much appreciated. And one reason why I continue to own Porsches.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Roadside Asst and Flat Tire Story - long...