997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much off MSRP on a new 997?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish that was the fact! I actually got them to come down from the asking price of $78,500 to $77.000.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

March. 13% off 2010 S cab
Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got $20K off in a $100K 2009 Carrera S, but then i added other options (Champion, wheels, aluminum rear console, gear and handbrake lever, short shift kit, leather pieces...) and I spent back almost half of the savings!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:52 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Do the Amex thing and see for yourself - comes out to around 8.7% off depending on options. http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html...FcNe7AodGx5APg

Markup is higher on options - I forget, but it is either 10%/12% or 12%/14% car/options.

They just hook you up with a dealer who agrees to get you the car you spec'd for the price quoted. I suppose if one is not on the lot, they try to locate one and get as close as they can - I don't know if they'd order you a car for that or what though. Should be a reasonable number of 10 and 11's around though to get a decent car.
I think part of the issue is we're talking about slightly different things - you're talking of using a tool to find what it thinks is the best possible deal, and then shopping that around until a dealer bites (see my comment about dealers with sluggish sales); while I'm talking about going to my preferred dealer and negotiating the best deal they will offer.

Hennessy starts 3-4 months out on orders at the start of each new MY (in August, they had a single allocation available before December - on the way home to think, it was snapped up and next was Dec. 1), and therefore has little incentive to offer high discounts. Further, the margin is down to ~10% on the '11 compared to ~13% on my '07, so I'm guessing your 10%/12% estimate to be close. They were up front about their margin on the car and all options and provided the wholesale cost of every option I was considering. I had a number of conversations with the GM, and I'm comfortable that I wasn't leaving a lot on the table with my '11 order (prior to switching to the MSRP GTS ).

I would love for someone to prove me wrong and get 8-10% off a new '11 from their dealer of choice, but my research so far says that's unlikely except in slower markets. In Atlanta, Porsche is selling as quickly as ever.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:29 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
- you're talking of using a tool to find what it thinks is the best possible deal, and then shopping that around until a dealer bites
No, that's not how it works - you spec out the car, in detail like the PCNA configurator, then several "Program" dealers (as close or far away as you like) are selected where the order can be sent, and the selected dealer finds as close a car as possible at the predetermined price. I have no idea if they'd order one - maybe.

The tool does not look for a deal, it submits your order to a dealer at predetermined discounts for the car and options you select.

I thought about doing that for my car, but Hennessy beat the AMEX price, so I never submitted the AMEX config. That was in 2009. And yes, it seems dealers have tightened discounts up a bit since '09, so something like this could be useful now.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
No, that's not how it works - you spec out the car, in detail like the PCNA configurator, then several "Program" dealers (as close or far away as you like) are selected where the order can be sent, and the selected dealer finds as close a car as possible at the predetermined price. I have no idea if they'd order one - maybe.

The tool does not look for a deal, it submits your order to a dealer at predetermined discounts for the car and options you select.

I thought about doing that for my car, but Hennessy beat the AMEX price, so I never submitted the AMEX config. That was in 2009. And yes, it seems dealers have tightened discounts up a bit since '09, so something like this could be useful now.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I did poke around the tool and did not notice a GTS as an option.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:30 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

There is language in the final page of the AMEX deal that leads to wiggle room, like "applies to in-stock cars", and it directs you to only 'local' dealers-even though some may be 300 miles from you.

I found that AMEX was only a marketing tool for the dealer to initiate contact with an interested party. You better want something that's in stock. I never even heard from one dealer.

There are myriad excuses why the AMEX price won't apply to a locate or a factory order.

Be careful with comparing '08-'10 prices. The factory threw around a lot of double secret trunk money, and the always popular 'limited time offer'. It is possible, depending on the timing, to have purchased a car with 20K off, only to leave thousands on the table.

The allocations for '10 and '11 seem to have tightened up, but maybe more for dealers that did not move a lot of cars in the immediate years prior.

The' hunt' has been complicated by some subtle changes in the usual formula of availability and price.

BD
Old 11-05-2010, 04:56 PM
jjlawyer
4th Gear

I got a 2010 in Oct. $13.5K off msrp of 88K

Quick Reply: How much off MSRP on a new 997?