Originally Posted by Gary_Cogis
Thanks gota911,

Look who's got a signature now...
Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiefEntertainmentOfficer
I guess rennlost is not the forum to go to for actual answers.
Nope, I'd hit the bar again tonight for the factual answers!

Cheers CEO.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 AM
George Manont
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OEM Porsche calipers are in fact made by Brembo.
OEM Porsche discs are not.

OEM Brembo, and Brembo High Performance, are very different.
OEM development follows a different criteria for design, performance, longevity, cost, etc...

Porsche's are definitely known for having some of the best braking cars on the planet, in comparison to other road going cars. That doesn't mean that there's not significant room for improvement, and that's exactly what Brembo's High Performance division focuses their developed on.

That said, Your ultimate goals with your car should dictate the direction you want to go next....followed by your budget, and your expectations of what an aftermarket braking solution should provide/accomplish.

You can upgrade pads, brake fluid, and lines to make sure the OEM system is working to it's optimum capabilities.

You could upgrade to higher quality aftermarket Brembo 2pc. discs in order to save weight, improve temperature management, increase component quality, and overall longevity.

You could also consider an OEM transplant such as Porsche 6-piston GT3 calipers and the larger 350mm discs.
Some have even gone the extra step and used the Porsche 6-piston GT3 calipers WITH aftermarket Brembo 2pc. lightweight discs.

If you really want to spend some money and not look back, there's a handful of aftermarket brake kit options from Brembo that include their aftermarket monobloc calipers, their 2pc. discs, pads, lines, and hardware in a number of different combinations to cater to different types of expectations, usage, driving styles, and wheel fitments.

Brembo worked extensively with Porsche on the development of the OEM braking system (including the entire corner module...wheel carrier and uprights), so they already have a significant head start on where they can make practical and noticeable improvements that cater to performance enthusiast who have already exceeded the limits of the OEM braking system. IMHaEO*, the OEM brakes are quite good, and with minor upgrades like pads, fluid, lines,... and if necessary, their 2pc rotor kits,... will undoubtedly perform at a much higher level than most other companies aftermarket BBK options. And if you still feel that you are at a level that requires a complete system upgrade, Brembo's High Performance aftermarket systems are the only options I would trust to improve upon Brembo's OEM systems.

*In My Humble and Educated Opinion
Mr.Gary Cogis sir,

You are one best gentleman. Your answer was clear and easy to understand.

Thanks for NOT trying to lecture us.

Cheers,

Old 02-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

George,
FYI, the thread is now 4+ years old. A lot of those guys aren't active anymore. Welcome to our little forum. Create your own newbie thread by posting about your car and make sure you include pics.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:10 AM
George Manont
5th Gear

OEM Porsche calipers are in fact made by Brembo.
OEM Porsche discs are not.

OEM Brembo, and Brembo High Performance, are very different.
OEM development follows a different criteria for design, performance, longevity, cost, etc...

Porsche's are definitely known for having some of the best braking cars on the planet, in comparison to other road going cars. That doesn't mean that there's not significant room for improvement, and that's exactly what Brembo's High Performance division focuses their developed on.

That said, Your ultimate goals with your car should dictate the direction you want to go next....followed by your budget, and your expectations of what an aftermarket braking solution should provide/accomplish.

You can upgrade pads, brake fluid, and lines to make sure the OEM system is working to it's optimum capabilities.

You could upgrade to higher quality aftermarket Brembo 2pc. discs in order to save weight, improve temperature management, increase component quality, and overall longevity.

You could also consider an OEM transplant such as Porsche 6-piston GT3 calipers and the larger 350mm discs.
Some have even gone the extra step and used the Porsche 6-piston GT3 calipers WITH aftermarket Brembo 2pc. lightweight discs.

If you really want to spend some money and not look back, there's a handful of aftermarket brake kit options from Brembo that include their aftermarket monobloc calipers, their 2pc. discs, pads, lines, and hardware in a number of different combinations to cater to different types of expectations, usage, driving styles, and wheel fitments.

Brembo worked extensively with Porsche on the development of the OEM braking system (including the entire corner module...wheel carrier and uprights), so they already have a significant head start on where they can make practical and noticeable improvements that cater to performance enthusiast who have already exceeded the limits of the OEM braking system. IMHaEO*, the OEM brakes are quite good, and with minor upgrades like pads, fluid, lines,... and if necessary, their 2pc rotor kits,... will undoubtedly perform at a much higher level than most other companies aftermarket BBK options. And if you still feel that you are at a level that requires a complete system upgrade, Brembo's High Performance aftermarket systems are the only options I would trust to improve upon Brembo's OEM systems.

*In My Humble and Educated Opinion
Thanks, Green !

4 yrs.old but this sort of info still alive and OK.

Some of those may have gone to heaven, as their brakes were faded !

Old 03-15-2015, 06:52 PM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Default Brembo question

Sorry to post on a 4 year old thread but Brembo caught my eye.
I tried to help a friend change the front brake pads on his 2011 911 Carrera. We both thought stock system, he ordered pads from a well known supplier. The pads that came in had holes for a pin the would pass through to hold the pads. The pads on his car were a good bit longer and had no center pin. The caliper looked like it had to be removed to change the pads. The calipers are dark gray and have "Brembo" stamped in small letters. There does seem to be another pad available, although there is no explanation as to what they are. Anybody have ant thoughts? How do you change these pads?
Attached Images   
Old 03-15-2015, 07:58 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Pass the damn popcorn, you hog!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:20 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by eab3@bellsouth.net
Sorry to post on a 4 year old thread but Brembo caught my eye.
I tried to help a friend change the front brake pads on his 2011 911 Carrera. We both thought stock system, he ordered pads from a well known supplier. The pads that came in had holes for a pin the would pass through to hold the pads. The pads on his car were a good bit longer and had no center pin. The caliper looked like it had to be removed to change the pads. The calipers are dark gray and have "Brembo" stamped in small letters. There does seem to be another pad available, although there is no explanation as to what they are. Anybody have ant thoughts? How do you change these pads?
It sounds like you friend got/ordered pads for a "S" model and your friend's car is a base Carrera (as you stated), which is why the pads don't fit. I would check to see what you friend ordered. He very well may have ordered the wrong pads, or the vendor sent the wrong pads.

Here is the front OEM pad part number 997-351-938-05. Maybe the vendor could use that to cross reference the pads that will fit the base Carrera.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:44 AM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Default Thank you

The info on some of the vendor's websites about brake pads is not as clear as it could be. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:56 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought on the 997.2 cars, there were no differences in braking systems between the S and non-S Carreras.

997.1s have different uprights and wheel carriers to accommodate the larger discs on the S cars.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:57 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Strange. These must be 997.2 non S brakes. I'm surprised to find they don't have quick change pins.

On the 997.1 both the S and non S had quick-change pin style brakes. Pics here.

The pinned style brakes are a huge benefit from my perspective as I usually switch pads for the track.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Brembo makes OEM Porsche brakes?