Sponsored by:

Wandering At Speed???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Meaning "N Rated"? Probably not. But, there are some great tires in the market without the N rating.
I am sure there are plenty of tires that are not on PAG's list and they may be OK. But are they the best for your car? Tires is not a an area to save money, not from a performance or safety perspectives. Weissach N-rated tires perform well and are safe for the car. To each his own.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:36 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

they'll tramline.

when the tires are a foot wide it happens.

also get an alignment. and a hooker.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:46 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
You answered your own question. Mismatched tires?!?
+1.

I really don't understand WHY someone would buy a Porsche 911, and try to go cheap with mis-matched tires?! I wouldn't even try that on my VW GTI!

Get four matching tires and your problem would be solved! N-rated are obviously preffered, but it's much more important to have 4 matching tires than mis-matched N-rated tires.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

I just recently had to put new rears on my car. My fronts were fine and there were better tire options available but I felt it more important to match than improve two of the four. I'll get them next time around. I'm guessing it's two rear sets to one front set in terms of replacement. Did the dealer mismatch the tires for you or did it come that way? If the new hanooks aren't PAG spec'd, I'd just replace them with the PS2's and try and sell them on ebay or something. Or better yet, keep them and add a matching set of rears taht you can shred doing AX.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first bet would be a tire pressure issue...
Firstly, TPSM isnt too accurate so beware. From personal experience, a couple of PSI are gone every so often and they need topping up. I do think that tires should be checked for pressure more often than once a month, in absence of TPSM.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:10 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
+1.

I really don't understand WHY someone would buy a Porsche 911, and try to go cheap with mis-matched tires?! I wouldn't even try that on my VW GTI!

Get four matching tires and your problem would be solved! N-rated are obviously preffered, but it's much more important to have 4 matching tires than mis-matched N-rated tires.
+1

add to that the feeling that PAG doesn't know what they are doing - so why buy a performance car whose engineering and specs you discount? I never get this "know better than PAG" syndrome

and cars like these, the tires are the ride - or 90% of it.

my car actually feels better at higher speeds - scary smooth and sedate

that said, little grooves in the road can be annoying at normal highway speeds, although I have had other cars that were much worse with tram-lining.

Want your guitar to feel like new? New strings. For your car; clean windshield and quality tires.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

N rating is more about marketing partnerships than it is about engineering. N rated tires are fine, but tires that lack N rating can be just as good or better.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
N rating is more about marketing partnerships than it is about engineering. N rated tires are fine, but tires that lack N rating can be just as good or better.
Matching N rated tires are important enough to Porsche that they bought me two new N2 front PS2s when I bought 2 PS2s for the rear, just so the N number would match.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by signature65
My hankooks only have about 200 miles on them, so replacing the fronts is the next logical option. But I have mismached tires plenty of times with no ill effect.

And the previous owner never tracked the car so I cant imagine an aggressive alingment.....however the left rear tire was the one with the cords showing on the inside edge of the tire. So the rear camber is set pretty aggressivly.
The camber maybe agressive or not but obviously the alignment is off, most likely toe-in and probably just on that one side.

I don't like see Porsche owners running mis-matched tires nor do I like to see people running non-N-rated tires on these cars but it is your car.

Therefore, if you don't want to replace the non-N-rated tires with the same N rated tires on the other end, at least get the car to a qualified shop and get it properly aligned.

Before you take the car in be sure the tires are properly inflated and the car is empty of any junk (extra weight). IIRC the alignment guidelines advise the car's gas tank be full and if the car came with any tool kit, spare tire, etc, these items be present in the car and installed properly.

After the alignment then see if the car still exhibits the wandering.

Oh, I always like to get a before and after printout of the alignment. Be sure you ask for one and get it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:49 PM
signature65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
+1.

Ouch.....I came here for a friendly hint of advise.....not to be torn apart and ostracized. I'm so sorry I dont conform to your standards of Porsche ownership. I will take my 6 years and multiple Porsche cars and solicit advise from people who want to help me and not belittle me.

Times are tight and PS2's are ridiculous expensive.....I can get a full set of Hankooks (which have gotten amazing reviews) for a set of PS2 rears. Unfortutantly looks like I may be getting new fronts too.

On a side note.....Thank you to all those who helped and gave me friendly advise. I really do appreciate it.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 PM
signature65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW.....not trying to pick a fight. Just frustrated and dont expect attitude.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Matching N rated tires are important enough to Porsche that they bought me two new N2 front PS2s when I bought 2 PS2s for the rear, just so the N number would match.
That's a different issue. Matching is important. N rating is not.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:34 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by signature65

Times are tight and PS2's are ridiculous expensive.....I can get a full set of Hankooks (which have gotten amazing reviews) for a set of PS2 rears. Unfortutantly looks like I may be getting new fronts too.

PS2s are not the only N-rated tires. There are several N-rated tires costing far less than PS2s. There may be good non-N-rated tires but which ones? If a car is under warranty shodding it with non-N tires may invalidate the warranty. Also, it may cause insurance issues should an accident occur.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
If a car is under warranty shodding it with non-N tires may invalidate the warranty. Also, it may cause insurance issues should an accident occur.
There is absolutely no basis in reality for this statement. That's beyond ridiculous. What next? I void my warranty if I don't clean the wheels with the Tequipment Driver's Selection Wheel Cleaning Kit (000 044 000 86)?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

As a few others have said, your alignment is most likely the root cause or it is just the tires themselves tramlining (Hankooks do this) .

I really don't think the mismatch tire setup nor lack of 'N' rating has anything to do with your issue. Some tires tramline more than others. The tread design has a lot to do with how the tire talks to the asphalt. I have a set of Hankooks on my M3 and they chase every rut and tar strip on the road. I had a proper alignment (with sandbags) performed right after I had the tires installed. yet the car will still dart left/right.

If it is your alignment, your front could be toed-out. \----/ That would cause the car to "seek" and steer itself. If the alignment checks out within spec, you could ask the tech to add a little toe-in. /----\ That will help the car track straight and reduce the tramlining, however, it will increase your tire wear (inside tread).

My guess is you that have one of the following:
toe-out \----/
toe-center |----| or spec and tires tramlining
toe-out \----/ and tires tramlining

PS - it is also possible that you have worn suspension parts that is causing unexpected excessive toe-out. But I would only expect that if you had higher mileage vehicles or a car that was tracked regularly.

Last edited by Clifton; 10-29-2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Wandering At Speed???