Sponsored by:

Front Plate Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:17 PM
jca3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TerpsRED
WOW that is a shiny car mickfulff! Some serious detailing has been done on there.
What car?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I think Skene Design probably looks best. I am still debating which one to get and have suffered one ticket so far...

Old 10-29-2010, 03:24 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Someone backed into my car the other day with a tow bar. Front plates are mandatory in Australia and it took the impact. No damage to car. Good!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

We thankfully don't need front plates here but I have heard of people going to a graphics shop and having a sticker made of the front plate and putting that on the front bumper. Beats drilling holes!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:54 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leigh2
We thankfully don't need front plates here but I have heard of people going to a graphics shop and having a sticker made of the front plate and putting that on the front bumper. Beats drilling holes!
That's actually a pretty cool idea. I'm sure -- if you got stopped, the cops would point out it's not legal. However, you'd never get pulled over for not running a front plate.

Plus, one of the worst things about running a front plate, from our standpoint, is how well it helps the guy running the LIDAR. Good target, highly reflective, and guaranteed to give the operator a quick and fast lock on your speed...
Old 10-29-2010, 11:59 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I have a tow-hook plate in my frunk and never bothered mounting it because I thought it looked crap. Now that I've seen the photos, I may just stick it on there...

There seems to be very little clearance between the plate and bumper - the other photos I have seen show the plate sticking out - it there any gap with yours?
About a quarter of an inch gap...
Old 10-30-2010, 04:16 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brt3
... one of the worst things about running a front plate, from our standpoint, is how well it helps the guy running the LIDAR. Good target, highly reflective, and guaranteed to give the operator a quick and fast lock on your speed...
That is the ONLY real reason for states making the front plate a requirement. If they really wanted it on there for ID purposes, they'd mandate illuminated plates on the front like they do for the rear.

They can claim 'ID' all they want as a reason, but it's only for the RADAR/LIDAR operators to get a good bounce off your car.

It's all about REVENUE generation, folks...
Old 10-30-2010, 04:22 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
... It's all about REVENUE generation, folks...
Without a doubt.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:42 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minok
They do if there is a compelling reason to be able to identify a car from the front view.

Yep, they make it easy for the "stop light" cameras to put your face to the license plate.. What a bunch of lazy elected rats..
Old 10-30-2010, 12:45 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Yep, they make it easy for the "stop light" cameras to put your face to the license plate.. What a bunch of lazy elected rats..
No, it's the insurance companies feeding lazy elected rats with a taste for gourmet peanut butter and cream cheese.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:48 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Has anyone used or know about any system that can defeat the Laser Systems the cops use?
I have heard of Blinders. I would like to know if it is worth the dough? The cops in NH use laser a lot.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:00 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by cpbmd
Has anyone used or know about any system that can defeat the Laser Systems the cops use?
I have heard of Blinders. I would like to know if it is worth the dough? The cops in NH use laser a lot.
No bolt-on plate-covering item works. Last time I looked into it, the laser jammers are what's used. Not sure if cops have developed counter counter measures yet.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:38 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
They do if there is a compelling reason to be able to identify a car from the front view.
The last two times this issue has come up at the WA legislative level it was defeated by the WSP. I asked Larry Springer, our local rep, to bring it up again but this time charge extra for the right to use only the rear plate and give a portion of the up-charge to the WSP disabled retirement fund.

Might work to silence the WSP complaints.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:27 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by wwest
The last two times this issue has come up at the WA legislative level it was defeated by the WSP. I asked Larry Springer, our local rep, to bring it up again but this time charge extra for the right to use only the rear plate and give a portion of the up-charge to the WSP disabled retirement fund.

Might work to silence the WSP complaints.
Fricking JOKE! Everybody can be bought off!

How about sending in donations to the state police so they give multiple warnings instead of speeding tickets?!?!?!

Getting stopped would be more like a meet-and-greet than "You're-scum-here's-your-ticket-and-I'd-arrest you-if-I-could."

If so I'd do an auto deduct on a monthly basis so I could proceed at a safe 80-90mph when safe conditions warrant.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:29 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

As others said, front plate is for LIDAR to catch your speed easier, and for stop light cameras to catch you by photo radar. All-in-all to generate revenue!

Quick Reply: Front Plate Options