Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my clutch slipping? or self adjusting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:58 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default is my clutch slipping? or self adjusting?

Hi,

My car maybe has developed an issue. I have had my car for a year or so (CPO 2006 C2S with ~42000 km) and now that it has gotten cool outside (4-5C) the clutch will exhibit some odd behavior the first time I shift into first gear.

So usually when i get in the car, i turn it on, i put in reverse, gas a bit, reverse, slipping clutch a bit. No issues on reverse.

Then put into first gear, gas a bit to start (1100 rpm? not much) and release clutch and apply gas. When its cold, the car will sometimes lurch... as if the clutch is not grabbing. The whole car will buck until it grabs then all is fine. If i stop and retry it doesn’t happen. It is as if the clutch has self adjusted?

I never had this problem during the summer. What is somewhat interesting is that my old 2002 Targa had the same issue on first use of first gear during the cold. Anyone else have this ? Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

I need to take the car in for service soon anyway, but thought I would get an opinion from the forum. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Service check is advised.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you've got a leaky RMS that sprays a bit of oil in the clutch assy. You wear off the oil upon clutching. Do you see oil dampness where the bell housing meets the engine underneath?

Please come back to the group when you find the root cause.

Quick Reply: is my clutch slipping? or self adjusting?