Sponsored by:

test cup holder mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default test cup holder mod

I found a leftover cup holder (aftermarket) that I had from my C5 vette. I really liked it because it held a heavy steel coffee travel mug securely and did not require any drilling or gluing to put in. It slides under the center console transmission tunnel trim with a little flange and rests on the floor.

The C5 transmission tunnel was much taller so I had to cut this down to just over 5 inches from the trim base to the floor, and add a small dowel across the lower back to give it some stability because I cut away the lower piece that held the bottom of the unit stiff.

Other than the color not matching it slid right in and is super stable and can be removed in 2 seconds.

I just don't trust the in dash units that swing out over the center electronics to hold anything. a little sanding and some paint and this will match color perfect.

Sorry the pic came out sideways, not sure why that happened.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2010, 06:18 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My stock cupholders work pretty well.

I had some like those for my "holderless" e39 M5 - in fact I think I tried everything available. Those worked best, but I still didn't like them - just not handy to me.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 PM
signature65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 997 for less than a week when I was taking my girlfriend a coffee, and it spilled all down my passengers door and speaker grills. I was so annoyed. But other than that the stock cup holders work really welll
Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by signature65
I had my 997 for less than a week when I was taking my girlfriend a coffee, and it spilled all down my passengers door and speaker grills. I was so annoyed. But other than that the stock cup holders work really welll
So why did the coffee spill?
Old 10-23-2010, 01:44 AM
signature65
Instructor

Starbucks, just sloshed out of the little spout on the lid.

Turns out they have little pulgs for the lids now.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

can't blame the car too much for physics - somethings just aren't going to be possible
Old 10-23-2010, 08:41 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
I hope that's beer in that cup!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:41 PM
pauljosef
Intermediate

Default Spilled Coffee=$4,000 repair?

I need info. My radio/navigation stopped working with "system Error:Navigation,Amplifier unavailable" in display. Dealership says it is from spilled coffee getting on the faceplate and inside. Not covered by warranty. This is from using the Porsche designed pop-out cupholder, which places the cup right over the area where such a spill will cause such damage.
Has anyone had this happen? I think that I should have been warned of such a danger (I wouldn't have used it). Has anyone had something like this cleaned instead of replaced? My dealership is more profit motive than customer service oriented. If it could be cleaned for $200 or replaced for $4,000 they tell me the latter. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:04 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljosef
I need info. My radio/navigation stopped working with "system Error:Navigation,Amplifier unavailable" in display. Dealership says it is from spilled coffee getting on the faceplate and inside. Not covered by warranty. This is from using the Porsche designed pop-out cupholder, which places the cup right over the area where such a spill will cause such damage.
Has anyone had this happen? I think that I should have been warned of such a danger (I wouldn't have used it). Has anyone had something like this cleaned instead of replaced? My dealership is more profit motive than customer service oriented. If it could be cleaned for $200 or replaced for $4,000 they tell me the latter. Any advice would be appreciated.
Were you driving when the spill happened? The owner's manual states the cupholders are NOT to be used when the vehicle is in motion. Also use only cups that fit, do not use overfull cups, and no hot liquids. Good Luck.

Last edited by helispud; 03-31-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 03-31-2011, 04:06 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Geez - I'm usually all down for just about any kind of school-boy pic/joke involving a chick in a bikini. I don't care how banal it is - include a chick in a bikini and it's all good...

'till now...

The image here is wrong - just wrong.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:07 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljosef
well, hard to advice anything is PCM indeed got fried up, not sure how it could get fried from spilled cofee, but, who knows.

btw imho this same message pops-up if I simply disconnect optical cord from nav dvd... but i may be wrong.

Quick Reply: test cup holder mod