Sponsored by:

Rennen Wheels???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:27 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennen Wheels???

Does anyone know anything about Rennen wheels? I saw their ad in Excellence. I know they're not one of the more commonly regarded high quality whees (Champion, HRE, BBS, etc.) but they appear to be forged and I really like the look of the RM10 model (picture attached). If anyone has any experience with them, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.

David
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2010, 07:57 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're CRAP! No, just kidding. I've not heard of them, but I sure like them. Hopefully somebody can give some insight..
Old 10-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Just a simple google search turns up that wheel as a modular wheel. What that means is that some parts of it are perhaps forged (like that center piece) and then it is affixed to the wheel area via fasteners or it is welded together.

The disadvantages of modular wheels is that they are weaker than one-piece forgings (by a long shot) because you have introduced weak areas because the wheel is in parts, and they are heavier (because you may affix the pieces together with fasteners.)

So, in summary, heavier, and weaker. The "appearance of being forged" is what all wheel manufacturers attempt to reach because there is an inherent understanding by the public that "forged is better." Keep in mind that there are various shades of "forgings."

Single piece drop-forged is both lighter and stronger than their alternative manufacturing methods.

Wheel manufacturers particularly like modular wheels because it gives them tremendous flexibility in fulfilling the size and offset demands of the public. What they trade away for that flexibility is strength and weight.

For the majority of buyers who are looking at wheels for their design and aesthetic contribution to the car, things like strength and weight are secondary issues. And that's okay.

Single piece drop forged wheels are radically expensive in comparison because each size and offset requires a substantial investment in the dies--perhaps $50,000 per wheel. Thus, it's not popular for the average wheel guy to get into such work.

Years ago all Porsches came with single piece drop-forged wheels (Fuchs comes to mind) and that group of buyers in those days accepted nothing less. And neither did the factory. In time, the cost of things became more important to people.

Last edited by Edgy01; 03-04-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 AM
McCulla
Pro

Thanks Edgy! I remember hefting the wheels of my first 911 ('80 SC) and being amazed at the lightness.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:46 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

And both the 997 Turbo and 997 Turbo II wheels are forged and made by Otto Fuchs - for those who still want it that way from Porsche.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:56 PM
MMedina
3rd Gear

Hey guys!! Just wanted to chime in on Rennen Wheels.. I have a set of 19" Rennen 1-piece forged wheels on my 2004 BMW M3. They are on par with the wheels you guys mentioned above and they are up and coming in the wheel industry. I like to get something new and fresh on my car every year or so, so when I started looking for wheels, I saw them as being active on other forums. I decided on the M5 Mesh Concave and I couldn't be happier... I am looking to put a set of Rennen R8 Modulars on my new car after the first of the year... I'll try to dig up some pictures and post them.. Check out their website, I'm a big fan.. Good luck in your wheel search....
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM
alan000
Intermediate

First off, I do not work for Rennen or ACG (you'll see more of my posts on 6speed). But funny you mention Rennen wheels. I just took the plunge on a set of their one-piece forged wheels for my 997S. I'll post pics up when I receive them in late Jan. As Edgy mentioned, they do have the "modular" line, which is multi-piece and heavier. They also have the new "Monolicht" line, which is their one piece forged monoblocks.

I was actually looking to buy the Tech1 or Champion forged wheels, but couldn't logically stomach the pricetag for them since I don't track my car. I knew I wanted something lighter weight, and Rennen was having their end of year special, so I took a gamble. Also, they provide race lightening on the back side of the wheel and that saves a bit of weight also (I was told front ~19-21 lbs and rear ~21-23 lbs). With their promotion now, choice of finish is free also.

I find out later from ACG in San Diego that they source their forgings from Advanced Structural Alloys in Pomona CA (the same forgings for Tech1 wheels), so the forgings are from a 10 ton press. Rennen doesn't have the weight savings as Tech1 wheels, but then again, I'm saving a lot of money, so I can live with it. FYI, I chose the M9 monoblock (nine spokes). I'll report back on the appearance and quality when I get them.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

If your wheel weights are in the area of 19-21 front and 21-23 rear you're doing really good. So be sure and make sure you're getting the one piece Rennens. If you go for the less expensive modulars the weights will go up significantly--and you will lose strength at the same time. Let's see some pics MMedina and alan000!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Years ago all Porsches came with single piece drop-forged wheels (Fuchs comes to mind) and that group of buyers in those days accepted nothing less. And neither did the factory. In time, the cost of things became more important to people.
So - which of the current OEM wheels are single-piece drop forged?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:32 AM
alan000
Intermediate

Edgy: here's a teaser pic! I think the Audi's sporting 20's, but hopefully I'll get the nice concave look without it looking too racy or "blingy"

Last edited by alan000; 03-18-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spectro28
So - which of the current OEM wheels are single-piece drop forged?
Only the Turbo wheels (for 997 Turbo and 997s) are single piece forged construction--if you only want to deal with OEM.

A friend of mine is currently in production of single piece Fuchs wheels in America. (Fuchs Racing) which is drop forged and quite light. I hope to be able to post some photos online herein within a month. It's been a very long road to get them produced.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 AM
cbzzoom

that's a dandy wheel on the R8!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by MMedina
Hey guys!! Just wanted to chime in on Rennen Wheels.. I have a set of 19" Rennen 1-piece forged wheels on my 2004 BMW M3. They are on par with the wheels you guys mentioned above and they are up and coming in the wheel industry. I like to get something new and fresh on my car every year or so, so when I started looking for wheels, I saw them as being active on other forums. I decided on the M5 Mesh Concave and I couldn't be happier... I am looking to put a set of Rennen R8 Modulars on my new car after the first of the year... I'll try to dig up some pictures and post them.. Check out their website, I'm a big fan.. Good luck in your wheel search....
Hmmm..... this is your one post here. I smell a mole :-)
Old 12-29-2010, 01:31 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Hmmm..... this is your one post here. I smell a mole :-)
I've never smelled a mole - what do they smell like?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:35 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The disadvantages of modular wheels is that they are weaker than one-piece forgings (by a long shot) because you have introduced weak areas because the wheel is in parts, and they are heavier (because you may affix the pieces together with fasteners.)
I don't think this is true Dan, where did you get this information?

Some of the best wheels in the world are modular; for example people swear by the BBS racing wheels. I know part of the reason is for the ability to service them, but there's no way so many serious racers would them if they weren't good on weight/strength.

IMO I prefer single piece forged, and also I would only ever go with a major well-reputed maker - there are way too many crooks in the wheel business to trust off brands.

Quick Reply: Rennen Wheels???