Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of 2008 Mexico Blue 997S

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

People that like it are going to "love it" for that color!

Do not wory about re-sale as it'll take care of itself....someone will love it just as much as you do now and you only need one buyer. It's a great color (Mine is blue turquiose so I'm a bit biased) but it won't be arouind very long and the only way you'll get another is to order it new so my recommendation would be not to be too independent....if it gets away it's gone!

All the best,

Tom
Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That car is really nice. It has all of the options I like with none that I don't. The color would be a huge plus to me but again the dealer would never know that.

The only issue? Way too much $$$ for what it is.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:54 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
That addresses the "demand" side of the equation, but not the "supply" side. There are tens of thousands of cautious shoppers who are paralyzed with with resale worries. Consequently, the universe is overflowing with boring-colored Porsches. This ultimately brings down (not up) the price of the silver cars.

I think it's all a wash in the end. The difference in resale between a garish color and a boring color is less than you're going to spend on tires. That's not an exaggeration. It's statistical noise in the grand scheme of costs. Therefore you should just buy the color that thrills you (even if it's silver) and enjoy your car.
Well said. I completely agree.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main reason the price of that car is so high is the low mileage. If you look at other 08s, they range from low 60s to high 70s based on mileage.

You could get an ordinary colour '09 with 10-15k miles for less than that blue is priced at.

Here's another blue PTS 08 with 20k miles for $65

Old 10-12-2010, 07:41 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
The main reason the price of that car is so high is the low mileage. If you look at other 08s, they range from low 60s to high 70s based on mileage.

You could get an ordinary colour '09 with 10-15k miles for less than that blue is priced at.

Here's another blue PTS 08 with 20k miles for $65

A paint to sample Carrera?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Pioneer Centres in Mirimar CA has a mexico blue 08 C2 with 10k miles and listed at $72k.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

That addresses the "demand" side of the equation, but not the "supply" side. There are tens of thousands of cautious shoppers who are paralyzed with with resale worries. Consequently, the universe is overflowing with boring-colored Porsches. This ultimately brings down (not up) the price of the silver cars.

I think it's all a wash in the end. The difference in resale between a garish color and a boring color is less than you're going to spend on tires. That's not an exaggeration. It's statistical noise in the grand scheme of costs. Therefore you should just buy the color that thrills you (even if it's silver) and enjoy your car.
This is one of the better observations.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:15 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree with this argument to some extent. If the Mexico Blue Porsche were a collectible (think Ferrari 330 GTC, gemstones, art, coins, etc.), its rarity (by virtue of its color and limited production) would tend to support/increase its price, or at least reduce the rate of its depreciation.

On the other hand, the commonality of certain colors (like silver, black, etc.) creates a broad marketplace of value/price setting (somewhat like the stock market) where common units are easily priced and trade fluidly. In essence, this is the used car market (not the collectible car market).

If you take an asset like a Mexico Blue Porsche 911, introduce it into the used car market, and give a substantial number of potential buyers a reason to shun it because it's not a widely accepted color, then the car will be on the market longer and in most cases, assets that "sit" rather than get sold tend to suffer from subsequent reductions in asking price.

That's why cars sporting unusual colors carry much less demand than you might think. They're admired, perhaps, but few people step forward to actually buy them at a premium price.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
That's why cars sporting unusual colors carry much less demand than you might think. They're admired, perhaps, but few people step forward to actually buy them at a premium price.
I'm aware that this is the conventional wisdom on the subject but that just hasn't been my experience at all. Just to be clear, though, I'm not suggesting that lurid colors carry a premium price. My observation is simply that it's not easier to sell a mundane color for a reasonable price than it is for a less common color and that resale concerns shouldn't influence a buyer's color choice. It's just not a significant factor on either end of transaction.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:25 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a survey that means quite little regarding the people who have posted to this thread and whose cars can be identified by color either in their avatar or in their profile:

Findings:
8 respondents have somewhat "subdued" colors (including me)
4 respondents (Rolling Art, Elusive, MrZoop, and Edgy) have "vivacious" colors

Conclusions:
None
Old 10-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I appreciate your word choices of "subdued" and "vivacious"
Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 PM
GHills
Instructor

OK, now let's substitute "ruffled leather" for "unusual color".

I think we can agree that the selling price is now: leave it parked in a disreputable area with the keys in it.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:33 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

You could briefly haggle and get it for 72K I'm sure.

Or you could tell the dealer to call you when the price is whatever you want to pay (68K?). Winter is coming. And that car isn't going to fly off the lot. And there are- always- always- always- others.

Is it worth the 4 extra K to you to haggle a bit and get it now? Only you can decide.

At any rate the original buyer sure took a bath- I'm sure he lost over 30K on the original purchase price. That alone would say, to me, what the color is worth.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Well he's told you can get it for 72K.

You could tell the dealer to call you when the price is whatever you want to pay (68K?). Winter is coming. And that car isn't going to fly off the lot. And there are- always- always- always- others.

Is it worth the 4 extra K to you to get it now? Only you can decide.

At any rate the original buyer sure took a bath- that alone to me would say what the color is worth.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM
dw.metro
Racer

The original list I was told was $108,000 but I'm not looking at this as a deal based on what someone else is losing. From what everyone is saying, $68,000- $70,000 is a fair price with CPO. From my discussion with the salesperson, this is not even in the ballpark according to him. The car will have to sit before the price will come down. I don't think he knows about the recession and the upcoming winter around the corner...

Quick Reply: Value of 2008 Mexico Blue 997S