Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Value of 2008 Mexico Blue 997S (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/595970-value-of-2008-mexico-blue-997s.html)

dw.metro 10-12-2010 11:53 AM

Value of 2008 Mexico Blue 997S

My wife and I saw the most beautiful Mexico Blue Porsche 997 two weekends ago here in Vancouver. We stopped dead on our tracks and now we are interested in this car in Chicago:

http://usedcars.westmontporsche.com/...ition_id=10426

2008 997S with only 2800 miles at a Porsche Dealer in Chicago. Asking price is $74,997. Here are the options,

Mexico Blue Paint to Sample Exterior
Black Standard Leather Interior
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
342 - Heated Seats
810 - Floor Mats
XXZ - Aluminum Foot Rest
680 - Bose Audio System
XLF - Sport Exhaust System
P77 - Leather Sport Seats
XRR - 19" Carrera Sport Wheels
24931 - Exterior Color to Sample
789 - 997 Paint to Sample
XXF - Red Taillights
CGA - Body Colored Headlight Washer
XDA - Wheels Painted Black
XAA - Aerokit
DAT - Alcantara Shifter and Handbrake
CLA - Alcantara Steering Wheel

Based on the above, what is a fair price for this car? How much of a premium is Mexico Blue?

Thank you.

soverystout 10-12-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by dw.metro (Post 7968094)
My wife and I saw the most beautiful Mexico Blue Porsche 997 two weekends ago here in Vancouver. We stopped dead on our tracks and now we are interested in this car in Chicago:

http://usedcars.westmontporsche.com/...ition_id=10426

2008 997S with only 2800 miles at a Porsche Dealer in Chicago. Asking price is $74,997. Here are the options,

Mexico Blue Paint to Sample Exterior
Black Standard Leather Interior
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
342 - Heated Seats
810 - Floor Mats
XXZ - Aluminum Foot Rest
680 - Bose Audio System
XLF - Sport Exhaust System
P77 - Leather Sport Seats
XRR - 19" Carrera Sport Wheels
24931 - Exterior Color to Sample
789 - 997 Paint to Sample
XXF - Red Taillights
CGA - Body Colored Headlight Washer
XDA - Wheels Painted Black
XAA - Aerokit
DAT - Alcantara Shifter and Handbrake
CLA - Alcantara Steering Wheel

Based on the above, what is a fair price for this car? How much of a premium is Mexico Blue?

Thank you.

Mexico blue is no more of a premium than Speed yellow. It all depends what a particular buyer is looking for.

It's been said that barring a power kit and aero kit options that no options truly jack the price of one particular Pcar over another. Many people may hate mexico blue. I think it is a fantastic color and would probably spend a few more bucks to get one. But the dealer doesn't need to know that.....

alexb76 10-12-2010 12:29 PM

No premium for Mexico Blue, no colour really adds much premium, while some colors add negative value! ;)

The car looks like very well optioned though, if you are into the Aerokit. I'd offer high 60s, see what do you get back. I think good value is between 68-71.

RollingArt 10-12-2010 12:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like the perfect car to me!!!

Paint to sample blues are the most desirable option Porsche has to offer. This car would be a good deal at twice that price!

This car is still practically brand new. Maybe $68k?

Great looking car. Mine's Riviera blue. The Rivi looks several shades lighter here because it's an outdoors photo. Parked side by side in the shade you can't tell the two colors apart.

Good luck with your hunt.

Phil

VGM911 10-12-2010 01:37 PM

If you buy this Mexico Blue 911, I believe that the number of people who would buy it from you when you're ready to sell would be relatively small. Say what you will about silver, black, white, and gray, but these colors move easily through the used car market.

This means that it would take you longer to sell it and/or that the color will rear its "negative value" aspect and drive down your selling price.

On the other hand, the argument can always be made that you should buy what you like, and not worry about what comes later.

Good luck.

ELUSIVE 10-12-2010 01:47 PM

I agree with VGM911
if you really like the Mexico Blue, then you should buy it.
And as pretty as some may find it, I think most would shy away from actually owning it. This will ultimately bring down (not up) the price. Unless of course you live in a town of Smurfs.

mrzoop 10-12-2010 02:01 PM

here's a link to a recent thread about blue...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...sandy-ego.html

my opinion is that paint to sample blue has quite a following here. it also seems that folks are willing to SPEND a premium for these. by premium, i'd put this at $10K over what a similar (non blue) sample should go for. i would also add that this seems like a quite limited options list for this price range. i'm speaking from recent experience here as i picked one of these up with many more options and similar miles for $10K less. let me be clear, mine is still a nice color, just not blue.

alexb76 10-12-2010 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrzoop (Post 7968458)
here's a link to a recent thread about blue...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...sandy-ego.html

my opinion is that paint to sample blue has quite a following here. it also seems that folks are willing to SPEND a premium for these. by premium, i'd put this at $10K over what a similar (non blue) sample should go for. i would also add that this seems like a quite limited options list for this price range. i'm speaking from recent experience here as i picked one of these up with many more options and similar miles for $10K less. let me be clear, mine is still a nice color, just not blue.

$10K premium? Are you kidding... NO WAY! It'd be actually harder to re-sell a blue colour!

mattmotos 10-12-2010 02:18 PM

Napleton Westmont Porsche in Illinois has one that is pretty sweet.

VGM911 10-12-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by mattmotos (Post 7968506)
Napleton Westmont Porsche in Illinois has one that is pretty sweet.

Ummmm, this is the one referenced in the original post. And there's a link to it in that post if anyone's interested in it.

Dave I 10-12-2010 03:51 PM

Have to disagree that there is a significant premium for a paint to sample color. I sold a Minerva Blue 996GT3 two years ago, and while there were a ton of compliments raving about the color, when it comes down to serious buyers the actual pool is quite small, almost non-existent. If you take it to the dealer and try to trade, they give you -0- premium and maybe even less because they know they aren't going to move the car unless they come across a very specific individual. Of course, when they are selling, it's a different story.

Agree with the previous posters that think 68k is a good price.

chago996 10-12-2010 04:05 PM

The one in sandy ego sold within a few days, just last week. Hard to say if it was because of the color, S, the options, or the fact that it was an '08 with 10k miles which was probably cpo'ed which would have added 2 more yrs of warranty on top of probably one yr left if punched in 07, plus 90k miles added. And made this S a steel at around $60-65, (asking was in mid 70's). I think it was all those put together.

Nugget 10-12-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE (Post 7968422)
And as pretty as some may find it, I think most would shy away from actually owning it. This will ultimately bring down (not up) the price.

That addresses the "demand" side of the equation, but not the "supply" side. There are tens of thousands of cautious shoppers who are paralyzed with with resale worries. Consequently, the universe is overflowing with boring-colored Porsches. This ultimately brings down (not up) the price of the silver cars. :)

I think it's all a wash in the end. The difference in resale between a garish color and a boring color is less than you're going to spend on tires. That's not an exaggeration. It's statistical noise in the grand scheme of costs. Therefore you should just buy the color that thrills you (even if it's silver) and enjoy your car.

Graygoose997 10-12-2010 04:12 PM

Like every other Porsche option, it is for your pleasure.
Just don't expect the next guy to pay for it, too .

dw.metro 10-12-2010 04:31 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I spoke with a salesman at the dealer and he gave me the customary comment of: "We only had this car for two weeks and there really isn't a lot of room on the price except for maybe a couple of thousand dollars". Hardly motivating for me to take the next flight to Chicago. It could be a bit of a waiting game...