Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Sticky Thread on 996 board...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010 | 05:01 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acao
A lever to the left of the steering wheel will activate flashing lights on the left side of the car (lever down) or the right side of the car (lever up). This can be useful to provide notice to other drivers of your intent to turn or change lanes.

Apparently, this is a seldom known feature.
Brilliant! I must show my wife this one.........
Old 10-13-2010 | 05:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by acao
A lever to the left of the steering wheel will activate flashing lights on the left side of the car (lever down) or the right side of the car (lever up). This can be useful to provide notice to other drivers of your intent to turn or change lanes.

Apparently, this is a seldom known feature.

What option code is that? Apparently many cars do not come with that as standard equipment...
Old 10-13-2010 | 08:07 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Speaking about flashing lights. I was leaning into the passenger side of my car looking for a banana under the seat, I was transporting it in the car not eating it, when the fog light flashed and the right blinker turned on. I inadvertently hit the lock button on the key fob that was in my pocket. I then reproduced this again pressing the key lock button with the passenger door open. Does anyone know why the car lights would flash and the left turn signal would go while pressing the key lock button on the fob with the door open?
Old 10-13-2010 | 08:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

It's telling you that the car can't be locked (secured) as the door is open.
Old 10-13-2010 | 08:54 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Very cool! This car is very smart!
Old 10-13-2010 | 11:11 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Default Did you know.....

There is an allen wrench embedded behind the front middle ceiling panel that houses the lights and Homelink. It is used to manually close the sun roof in the event of a malfunction that leaves it open. You get to it by gently prying the 2 home link buttons or lights out with a screw driver which then accesses 2 screws to open the panel. The allen wrench is clipped to the inside of the panel and is used to crank the sun roof closed.
Very convenient!
Old 10-14-2010 | 12:21 PM
acao
Racer

Default Hangers

You probably know about the hanger hooks on the front seat backs which are useless because of their size.

There is a larger, more useful one on each B-pillar.
Old 10-14-2010 | 12:49 PM
Dottore
Intermediate

OK here's a question.

When you switch from radio to navigation, how do you actually turn the radio off?

There is no 'audio off' button , or is there?

Of course you can mute the radio—but there is always the "radio on" sign in the little window at the bottom of the speedo.

Also, is it just me or is the oil filler cap a complete PITA? How do people get their fingers around it? Is there a tool?
Old 10-14-2010 | 01:11 PM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by Dottore

Also, is it just me or is the oil filler cap a complete PITA? How do people get their fingers around it? Is there a tool?
The oil filler tube is clipped to the airbox. The oil filler cap is easier to grip if you unclip the filler neck from the airbox. Just grab the **** and pull upward away from the airbox and it will unclip. Now you've got more clearance to turn the cap. When twisting the cap, use your other hand to hold the neck and prevent it from twisting. The neck is just a flexible plastic tube, and you don't want the twisting motion communicated beyond where the cap meets the tube.
Old 10-14-2010 | 01:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

There ARE a few idiotic issues with the car, like not being able to turn off the radio yet keep the navigation on.

Also, the oil fill tube is designed by some child. However, one of the things I have discovered about the oil fill design is that you can jam a can of Mobil 1 in between the filler tube and the fan shroud, and it will stay perfectly supported to get every drop out. See picture:
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2010 | 02:57 PM
Dottore
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TerpsRED
I'll
17.) Check your radiators in the front grill often. They collect road debris fast and that can cause over heating.

I have been trying to find some after-market screens to help with this problem. Does anyone know a source?
Old 10-14-2010 | 07:16 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

seems like this list would be useful for stuff not in the owner's manual - however most of what I read here so far is (other than the spare, e-brake, and oil trick) - would it be easier just to post the manual on-line?
Old 10-15-2010 | 12:46 AM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by stevepow
would it be easier just to post the manual on-line?
Yes. You know what's easier than that? Reading the hard copy that comes with our cars.

Not everybody learns the same way. Some are visual learners, auditory learners, tactile learners, verbal, spatial, etc. Similarly, some people treat the manual like a dictionary (a reference to be consulted as needed via random access), not a novel (a volume to be read in sequential access from page 1 to the end). And of course, all learners generally benefit from repetition.

Also, the things omitted from the manual (especially regarding the PCM) are disappointing.
Old 10-15-2010 | 03:41 AM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by Dottore
I have been trying to find some after-market screens to help with this problem. Does anyone know a source?
I don't think anyone sells them ready to go (hint hint sponsors) but there are a few DIY's posted for cutting your own.

There is no 'audio off' button , or is there?
The only one I know of is pressing the dial on the multi-function wheel, but that's just a "mute" or "pause" , it doesn't actually turn off the audio function.
Old 10-15-2010 | 08:07 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Just a note on the fob and delays... If you leave the car for a week, you don't have to use the key, you just need to manually lift the door handle and then the fob is functional again. I never use the sunroof, but that tidbit about the wrench is very good to know.

Quick Reply: Great Sticky Thread on 996 board...