Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Sticky Thread on 996 board...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Great Sticky Thread on 996 board...

I was reading through a really interesting and informative permanent thread on the 996 board.(Things you didn't know about your 996...) It basically details all the interesting technical facts about the 996 that one may not be aware of. For example, if your car sits for 7 days without use the electronic fob can't be used to open the door. You have to use the key in the lock. Pearls like that may be of use to many people. Do you guys want to start a thread like that on this board? Just a thought.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

As a new owner myself, I'd love to see and contribute to this. It would certainly help with many of my silly questions
Old 10-11-2010, 11:17 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Yeah I would love to get a thread like this going. I hope the powers that be will be in agreement. It would be very interesting to read and helpful as well. The knowledge that the members of this forum have is encyclopedic and getting some of this out on the board would be great.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:12 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I need to confirm this, but I think this happened to me last night at my local gas station in ScarySOMA -
Your door lock locks your gas cap.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 562 Posts

Only way to get a sticky thread like this is for someone to step up and write/collate it. I'm sure if the content is there the admins will be happy to make it sticky. I'd love go help but I'm a new owner and don't know much. Who are the most knowledgeable members on the 997? I can probably contribute a bunch of questions if helpful.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:34 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'll start

I'll start with what I've learned as a newbie in a 997.1 3.6L:

1.) 997s have no spare, you can fit a 996 spare, either inflated or space saver if you don't have the Ceramic Brakes. These will fit into the frunk, but it will take nearly all the space you have.
2.) There is no dip stick in the 997 the dashboard will tell you your oil level if you turn the key to the first position, but don't engage the starter motor.
3.) You can change the oil without raising the car. You will need an 8mm hex socket for the drain plug, and an oil filter wrench. (there is some debate, but the one that fits on my oil filter canister is a 76mm 15 flute one, some say 74mm fits as well) Filters and drain plug washers can be had very cheap online.
4.) Don't use the headlight washers when sitting still in traffic and your sunroof open. You will get a free shower.
5.) The smaller lever below the turn signal lever will cycle through the dashboard display items
6.) The radio head unit will play MP3 disks, but the OEM CD changer in the frunk will only play regular CDs, not MP3s.
7.) The gas cap door will lock when the car doors are locked.
8.) The passenger window will do a "one touch down" but will need to be raised at least 1/2 way before it will continue on it's own. the driver's window will do one touch down and one touch up.
9.) You can fit 2 golf bags easily in the back of the car with the seats folded down. You will need to take the longer clubs out of the bag first (Driver and Woods)
10.) the spoiler will go up at about 72mph and down at about 35mph. You can't see this while driving in your mirrors. You will need to look at your reflection in another car to prove it to yourself.
11.) When the spoiler activates automatically, there is no light or indicator on the dashboard or buttons to see that it is up. If you manually raise it, the button light will stay lit telling you that you have it in the locked position.
12.) You can turn off the A/C compressor by hitting the "ECO" button. Otherwise it is running almost all the time to dehumidify the air in the car.
13.) You can turn off the air motors all the way but turning the fan all the way down. Releasing the fan speed button, and hitting it down once more. A small "Off" will appear in the bottom left of the display.
14.) The sunroof will do a one touch open and close
15.) The buttons on the programmable garage door openers are fragile, don't pound on them or they will pop out.
16.) Stability control will save your bacon, turn it off at your own risk!
17.) Check your radiators in the front grill often. They collect road debris fast and that can cause over heating.
18.) Read the manual for the emergency frunk release if you get a dead battery. The procedure is not complicated, but you don't want to have to do it for the first time in the dark when you are flustered. It helps to have a small set of pliers in the glove box to pull out the jumping post. Your fingers might not be able to grasp it enough to pull it out.
19.) The passenger mirror will tilt down when the car is in reverse, IF you put the mirror move selector to the right (passenger side) mirror setting. If it is in the center position, the mirror won't auto-tilt.

Feel free to add to this list!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The tenth time you use your windshield washers and your headlights are on the headlight washers will automatically wash the headlights.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:02 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Matt nice list so far.
How do you get the sun roof to do a one touch open. I have been frustrated having to hold the button down till the sun roof is completely open.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:05 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The tenth time you use your windshield washers and your headlights are on the headlight washers will automatically wash the headlights.
Are you kidding me! This car has a mind of its own. Edgy I almost put 1000 miles on the car and I have had it just 4 weeks. This car is really growing on me. This machine is so satisfying to drive. I don't like driving my Volvo XC 70 anymore. That is a bad thing with the winter coming. I have to find some used 18 rims and tires soon.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 AM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One-touch opening for the sunroof opens the roof to a turbulence optimal degree. Touch the open button again to open it all the way.

A CD in the PCM head unit will continue to spin when the PCM is off, and ignition on. If you turn the PCM off while playing a CD, and then resume playing the CD later, the CD will not start where you last stopped it. If you switch the PCM to FM (or any other setting) before turning it off, the CD will stop "playing."

The "light bulb" button on the PCM turns off the display while allowing the unit to remain on.

If you disarm the alarm, the alarm will re-arm if a door is not soon opened. If you disarm the alarm to open the trunk, the alarm may re-arm before you close the trunk and trigger when you close it.

The parking lights and fog lights do not work at the same time.

Yes, the rear fog light only illuminates on one side. The point is to make you conspicuous and noticeable before someone rear-ends you.

The spoiler retracts at a different speed if ambient heat necessitates.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:35 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
Are you kidding me! This car has a mind of its own. Edgy I almost put 1000 miles on the car and I have had it just 4 weeks. This car is really growing on me. This machine is so satisfying to drive. I don't like driving my Volvo XC 70 anymore. That is a bad thing with the winter coming. I have to find some used 18 rims and tires soon.
You will find that the car does the mundane things for you, and allows you to enjoy the driving aspects of the car!

I have a set of 18 inch Porsche OEM rims that might do what you want. Unmounted. Reasonable price at $900 + shipped carefully.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:43 AM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sunroof is self-adjusting, it opens/closes based on detection of pressure. If it gets some junk stuck in it or just real dirty or out of calibration for some reason, you can force it to recalibrate. First make sure no chunks of anything have gotten into it. Then clean and lube the rails. Hopefully it will close now when you press the button. Once it's closed, hold down the close button for 10 seconds to make it go through its reset sequence. (you can tell you've held it long enough because the sunroof will open on its own and pop up and close again - this resets the self adjustment).

You can disable the 4WD in a PDK 997.2 C4S by pulling up on the handbrake one click - enough for the computer to register it but not enough to actual engage the brakes.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 AM
cbzzoom

When PSM is disabled it's still active any time you are braking. (that doesn't mean it automatically straightens the car when you brake, but it uses the normal method of checking for slip to decide whether to intervene). This makes trail-brake oversteer almost impossible.

Suncoast can send you a list of all TSB's that affect your car, as well as list of all the option codes and your paint code for your VIN.

The volume spinner on the multi-function steering wheel is also a button - press it to mute the radio or pause a CD.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:49 AM
cbzzoom

The handbrake can be adjusted in two places, either at the handbrake lever inside the center console (difficult to get to) or much easier - at the brakes. There's a ratchetting dial at the actual drum brakes on the rear axles. Remove the wheels, then you can push it one way or the other to loosen or tighten the handbrake with a screwdriver through the wheel bolt holes.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:22 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lever to the left of the steering wheel will activate flashing lights on the left side of the car (lever down) or the right side of the car (lever up). This can be useful to provide notice to other drivers of your intent to turn or change lanes.

Apparently, this is a seldom known feature.

Quick Reply: Great Sticky Thread on 996 board...