Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else have problems with their 997.2 non-PDK LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Anybody else have problems with their 997.2 non-PDK LSD?

Curious if any other folks with 6-speed non-PDK 997.2 with sport-PASM (or LSD without sport-PASM) have had failures of their limited slip differentials. Mine had about 8 track days on it when I noticed I was losing traction accelerating out of corners where I had formerly been able to put the power down without any problems. I also noticed the diff had stopped making the "clunk-clunk-clunk" sound it used to make when I would be at maximum steering lock when backing up or pulling forward into parking spots (which the service guys told me was the diff locking). When I took it to my dealer they confirmed the limited slip function was shot and replaced it under warranty. Unfortunately for Porsche, the diff is an integral part of the transmission and can't be fixed in isolation, so they had to give me a whole new transmission.

The diffs in the GT3/GT3RS are notorious for failing, but apparently the Aisin built transmissions and diffs in the regular 997 are more robust and failures are supposedly rare. Anybody else have any problems?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Check out the LSD Buster thread started by mikymu in the 997 GT2/GT3 Forum. It's a long thread, but has some relevance to your issue. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grizfish
Check out the LSD Buster thread started by mikymu in the 997 GT2/GT3 Forum. It's a long thread, but has some relevance to your issue. Good luck.
Thanks. That thread was what kind of made me ask this question. When my diff went, I had hoped to get Matt at GT Gears set me up with Guard internals (to put in my factory diff case) to make it more bulletproof. But I learned the Carreras and GT3s have entirely different diffs, and the internals of the GT3 diff won't fit my 997.2 C2S. I was just curious to find out if my failure is an anomaly, because if so then replacing with factory internals is probably fine and the odds are it would last. If the 997.2 Carrera LSDs are failing and it just hasn't been discussed, then maybe it will encourage aftermarket folks to build better internals for our diffs so we have more options.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:54 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Yep mine is shot too. Dealer will not fix under warranty. Even if they did 1-2 more track days and it will be shot again.

Until Guards or GT Gears comes out with a solution I am not doing anything to replace the hunk of junk LSD that Porsche puts in these cars.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:52 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep mine is shot too. Dealer will not fix under warranty. Even if they did 1-2 more track days and it will be shot again.

Until Guards or GT Gears comes out with a solution I am not doing anything to replace the hunk of junk LSD that Porsche puts in these cars.
How some they fixed OPs LSD and not urs under warranty?!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 PM
ChiefEntertainmentOfficer
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lsds are consummables especially if you track. Ive worked out the cost per day of tracking to be almost 1000 dollars (3 sessions of 20 min). Not a cheap sport my friend. Track time = 400, new tires every 7 or 8 days 1800, gas 100, brake pads every 8 days, rotors every 25 days, and other wear and tear like your lsd, suspension, and eventual bodywork for minor accidents (hopefully minor).
Old 10-08-2010, 04:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChiefEntertainmentOfficer
Lsds are consummables especially if you track. Ive worked out the cost per day of tracking to be almost 1000 dollars (3 sessions of 20 min). Not a cheap sport my friend. Track time = 400, new tires every 7 or 8 days 1800, gas 100, brake pads every 8 days, rotors every 25 days, and other wear and tear like your lsd, suspension, and eventual bodywork for minor accidents (hopefully minor).
Actually something like a Guards LSD will not have issues with years of track time. The Porsche factory LSD is total junk.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Actually something like a Guards LSD will not have issues with years of track time. The Porsche factory LSD is total junk.
So, what happens when it's worn out? It will work like an open diff? or does it make any noise, clunk, whatever and must be replaced?
Old 10-09-2010, 04:49 AM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Yeah, it works like an open diff. Put the power down before the apex and the inside wheel spins. And the rear gives a hip fake. It's not subtle.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:06 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laertes
Yeah, it works like an open diff. Put the power down before the apex and the inside wheel spins. And the rear gives a hip fake. It's not subtle.
So, if worn out, and if you decide to live with an open diff, you can just ignore it, right?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Oh. Yeah. Definitely. Assuming you don't drive like an idiot on public roads, in day to day driving I think it's really unlikely you'd notice a difference. My car only felt different when I was on the track. You'd have to really be hammering it on public roads to notice anything.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:14 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laertes
Oh. Yeah. Definitely. Assuming you don't drive like an idiot on public roads, in day to day driving I think it's really unlikely you'd notice a difference. My car only felt different when I was on the track. You'd have to really be hammering it on public roads to notice anything.
Ok, was just asking to know if I ordered a car with LSD, is it really worth it or not, specially knowing that it won't last. If I HAD TO change it when it's worn out, I'd 100% stay away, but since I drive an open diff now (997.1), I know I can live with it, as long as there's no other issues with the worn out LSD.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by alexb76
So, what happens when it's worn out? It will work like an open diff? or does it make any noise, clunk, whatever and must be replaced?
Works just like a open diff...no noises.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by alexb76
Ok, was just asking to know if I ordered a car with LSD, is it really worth it or not, specially knowing that it won't last. If I HAD TO change it when it's worn out, I'd 100% stay away, but since I drive an open diff now (997.1), I know I can live with it, as long as there's no other issues with the worn out LSD.
I would NOT pay for the LSD option. Mine came with LSD because it is part of the Sport PASM pkg.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:28 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

I would NOT pay for the LSD option. Mine came with LSD because it is part of the Sport PASM pkg.
This. You folks talked me into SPASM, but I had not ordered LSD originally.

Quick Reply: Anybody else have problems with their 997.2 non-PDK LSD?