Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an 05 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:16 PM
backerman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind- I Passed on this......Interestingly as i read this post I got a call about an 2005 Carrera S with 4,800 miles fully loaded at a pretty good deal. My question is would it be worth purschasing if I replaced the IMS on it right off the bat? or should I keep looking guys? Thanks for the input.

Last edited by backerman; 10-07-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by backerman
Interestingly as i read this post I got a call about an 2005 Carrera S with 4,800 miles fully loaded at a pretty good deal. My question is would it be worth purschasing if I replaced the IMS on it right off the bat? or should I keep looking guys? Thanks for the input.
05 without IMS replaced is not that great of an option... if cost of IMS replacement is priced into the car, then I'd say go for it.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Good God the paranoia generated on this board by profiteering fearmongers and then propagated by rumormongers, is out-of-control insane! I bought my '05 with 20K on it, now it has 30K. Despite the constant stream of fearmongering on the internet I've had nearly two years of trouble-free enjoyment of this car. Recently I was at the dealership where I bought it, and there was my car's twin brother there for routine service...also an '05, same color combo...except with almost 55,000 miles on the original engine. It will take me five more years to rack up that mileage. To listen to you folks I should run right out and spend $2.5 grand to get a retrofitted part that has no long-term high-mileage track record.

The OP says the car he looked at had its engine replaced due to IMS bearing failure, but for all we know it could've been one of the other failures often mistaken for IMS bearing failure. Or it could've just been than the engine blew from being mistreated and poorly maintained. Given the described condition of the car, that's not so hard to fathom.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:13 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

count me in on the positive for the new engine....my 997 recieved a new engine at 37K miles under CPO warranty...with reinforced IMS...also got new headers and other stuff....

whats not to like
Old 10-07-2010, 07:25 PM
adg44
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher

The OP says the car he looked at had its engine replaced due to IMS bearing failure, but for all we know it could've been one of the other failures often mistaken for IMS bearing failure. Or it could've just been than the engine blew from being mistreated and poorly maintained. Given the described condition of the car, that's not so hard to fathom.
Well I noticed he had a bottle of Mobil1 10w30 oil in the frunk, and if that's what he has been using, it's the wrong viscosity.

The owner said he took it in to the dealer for a RMS issue, but they told him that the IMS bearing was also bad.

Also when we took it for a ride, the car had been sitting for the whole day, and he immediately took it out to the highway and redlined it in 3rd gear. No wonder his previous engine didn't last very long...

The more I think about this car, the more I realize I should pass on it.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 PM
TigerStadt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Good God the paranoia generated on this board by profiteering fearmongers and then propagated by rumormongers, is out-of-control insane! I bought my '05 with 20K on it, now it has 30K. Despite the constant stream of fearmongering on the internet I've had nearly two years of trouble-free enjoyment of this car. Recently I was at the dealership where I bought it, and there was my car's twin brother there for routine service...also an '05, same color combo...except with almost 55,000 miles on the original engine. It will take me five more years to rack up that mileage. To listen to you folks I should run right out and spend $2.5 grand to get a retrofitted part that has no long-term high-mileage track record.

+1 Have had my '05 S for three years. Bought it with 19k mi. Now has 33.5k mi. No issues. Change oil every 4-5k mi. 6 track weekends. Don't daily drive. Wouldn't sell it, unless I was ready to pull trigger on 997.2 GT3

Quick Reply: Considering an 05 Carrera S