Sponsored by:

Coochas.com being asked to shut down

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Well, I've always heard the stories about people being threatened by Porsche for infiringement, and now I'm one of those people.

Porsche sent me a polite but demanding letter today stating that my Coochas logo is an infringement of trademark and more importantly that they want me to remove my vintage brochure collection from the website. I understand that my logo could upset them, although let's be serious, it's pretty funny!

Removing my brochure collection is very distressing to me.
I really do not know what other solution you may have here short of moving hosting to an untraceable location but as P corp already knows who you are...

Brochures are definitely their intel. property, i am not sure if you can win this fight with their lawyers. Sad story.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:43 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Dave you have been a great influence not only to myself but to everyone here over the years. Your pics and videos assisted me in designing my Turbo. When ever I was stuck on an answer I would check your site out first then do searches if I couldn't find the answer. Somehow I do not know how you found the time, but I'm glad you did. I hope there is a nice resolution for you regarding this matter.

Jay
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't really know you but you have my support on this issue.

I understand PCNA needs to enforce the copyright but I hope they will see the light and grant you a license to use. Nothing better than enthusiasts for advertising.

FM
Old 10-12-2010, 02:23 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
They are tough tough tough on this stuff - a group exists looking for these things...
Ask us how we know... it's why we're called what we're called. Over 20 years ago, the owner (who holds a law degree) of Excellence (then Porsche Magazine) told Porsche he'd happily see them in court...right up until the Reno-based PCNA filed in NYC just to make things really expensive. Over 20 years later, it's funny how, in Europe, there isn't anywhere near the same scrutiny of periodicals. The same could be said for Porsche website domain names (though not this one).

It thus seems to be selective or eventual, and it looks like Coochas got sucked in. Good luck!

pete
Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

THANK YOU ALL for the comments.
I've been up at NHMS with PCA for the past few days which was a wonderful event. Once again, two children approached me and told me that the Pawxster with its Coochas logo was their "favorite car" at the event.
I also spent some time talking with John D at the event who had some good advice as well.

I will be contacting PCNA in the next week or so and hopefully they will understand what's going on with the brochures and grant me an exemption or permission to continue my efforts to share 'their' history with my fellow enthusiasts.

Thank you all again, with the exception of BooLala's comment which I am not understanding.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I've been up at NHMS with PCA for the past few days which was a wonderful event. Once again, two children approached me and told me that the Pawxster with its Coochas logo was their "favorite car" at the event.
I also spent some time talking with John D at the event who had some good advice as well.

I will be contacting PCNA in the next week or so and hopefully they will understand what's going on with the brochures and grant me an exemption or permission to continue my efforts to share 'their' history with my fellow enthusiasts.

Thank you all again, with the exception of BooLala's comment which I am not understanding.
I'm guessing ***** envy?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:17 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Hate to say this but they are not going to back down on this. There were other web sites like Porsche Pete's Boxster Board now PPBB and Planet Porsche which is Planet-9 which had to comply as well.

Be careful what you say to them because remember as they say "anything you say can be used in a court of law" . No reason to invite trouble upon yourself.

What I dont understand is the fuss about the brochures. Tons of this stuff is all over the web. They are OLD brochures. There are other web sites that have brochures but factory manuals, ordering guides and more all over them.

Companies that have 1/2 a brain realize that enthusiasts web site bring good FREE publicity. FREE is always good. Its not like you were slandering their name or their products.

Good luck.

PS. I loved your yellow Porsche particularly the shot of it on the country road with the leaves.

Quick Reply: Coochas.com being asked to shut down