Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coochas.com being asked to shut down

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Thank you for all the positive thoughts in this thread.
I certainly would never go to court over something like this especially since I realize that Porsche is only trying to protect their brand.
Perhaps when they closely look at my efforts to preserve and share some of their best history, they will change their minds and allow me to publish their brochures online.
I can't help but feel betrayed right now but I also understand that my site probably has not been give a fair shake.

Big sigh. I think I need to sleep on all of this.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dave, Porsche has to defend their copyrights or risk losing them to the public domain. It is an annoying legal issue in the USA, where failure to defend a tradmark or copyright put the subject in the public domain. That's the reason John D had to change the name of this site to Rennlist.
I don't think they have a case on the brochures, they were and are public domain. The crest on the other hand is a problem.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Perhaps we need to block over the word "P______" that is on the badge of our cars within every photo that we submit online for viewing.

Where does it all end?

Clearly, they are led by the nose by their attorneys.

A sad day, indeed, Dave.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the experience of seeing these for the first time , on an Ipadt
They are a wonderful addition to the Porsche knowledge database.

You would think Porsche would applaud their availability, to the Porsche enthusiasts.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dave, Porsche has to defend their copyrights or risk losing them to the public domain. It is an annoying legal issue in the USA, where failure to defend a tradmark or copyright put the subject in the public domain. That's the reason John D had to change the name of this site to Rennlist.
I don't think they have a case on the brochures, they were and are public domain. The crest on the other hand is a problem.
My poor Coochas logo that's been a part of me has now been removed from my site. Sigh.
Originally Posted by Edgy01
Perhaps we need to block over the word "P______" that is on the badge of our cars within every photo that we submit online for viewing.

Where does it all end?

Clearly, they are led by the nose by their attorneys.

A sad day, indeed, Dave.
I'll post some nice autumn pics of my orsche urbo later.
Hopefully this will all end well. I still have lots of brochures I want to put online and all of my owners manuals!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTpeecar
Thank you for the experience of seeing these for the first time , on an Ipadt
They are a wonderful addition to the Porsche knowledge database.

You would think Porsche would applaud their availability, to the Porsche enthusiasts.
Thanks PT.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Have them explain how the brochures are an issue? Send them the link to this thread to for ****s and giggles. Crap like this pisses me off about a brand I too often give too much credit for.

Logo, sure I can see how that may infringe on something but as stated the brochures are public use material...?!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

We just have to be careful as we refer to the _orsche car. Perhaps we will have to do as the outgoing Clinton administration did to the Bush administration with the W key--remove all the "P" characters rom our keyboards...
Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Terrible, not like you were profiting from it or anything.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

Dave- sure hate to hear this because it takes away from Porsche for being dicks about it and your hard work and our enjoyment. I've enjoyed every part of your site, especially the brochures. I can't help but think PCNA has a judgement against someone else for copyright infringement and they feel compelled to trickle down to the enthusiasts for consistency. Your 1/4 million hits have contributed a lot the Porsche mystique and enthusiasm and it would be a shame and short-sided of them to put an end to your harmless site. The logo- well that's a stretch too but I liked your well-hung avatar better anyway. Keep us posted.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:16 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain! I know from your previous posts that you have spent a lot of dough on buying new Porsches and it seems to be quite an abuse of a valuable client! You are not doing anything other than giving the Porsche brand what I would consider valuable exposure, at NO cost to them. All of us when we spend money with a vendor expect to be appreciated for our custom and when we're not it makes us question our prior purchasing decisions.

Complying with their request is a good idea, but combine it with a strongly written letter to the President of PCNA to let them know how they have harmed their heretofore valuable client relationship!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess Porsche or Sanrio were bound to make a stink of your logo. Too bad as it was all just for fun. My daughter sure loved it.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I very much appreciate your website. Your website, comments, helpful hints , and other contributions have only helped others here at Rennlist. Like music, I feel it is OK to make a copy and play for your and your friends's enjoyment. It would be different if you were trying to make money or profit from using someone's trademark or logo or other IP.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Don't give in. I have a couple of suggestions for you:

1, write a letter to Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG and see if they feel the same way.

2, keep quiet and get your website hosted on a non-US registrar. PCNA have no business messing with content on non North American websites.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:06 AM
haterade
5th Gear

Coochas- I support you brother. As someone who knows a bit about IP Law, my best advice to you is to contact the Stanford Fair Use Project and/or the Electronic Frontier Foundation with your plight.

This is your best chance to get the highest quality of representation for no money. If they support your cause because they 1) believe that your use should be considered "fair use" under copyright and trademark law, and 2) they think this case can raise more awareness to important IP issues, you might have a chance!

I pray that one day I read about how the guy who Easter Egged a 2 foot d*ck into a picture of a yellow 911 and hot air balloons, prevailed in the landmark copyright and trademark case of Porsche v. Coochas.

Quick Reply: Coochas.com being asked to shut down