Sponsored by:

Replacing 997 horn without removing bumper cover? NEW QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:59 PM
rdv
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Replacing 997 horn without removing bumper cover? NEW QUESTION

Listers - I already used the search function, and found (a) a couple of threads saying one needs to remove the bumper cover to get to the factory horn, and (b) a few threads on removing the bumper cover. It doesn't look hard for someone who is mechanically inclined (me). BUT, it still looks like a pain in the backside. So here's the specific question - In my case, I don't need/want to add mesh shields to the grill openings, etc., I just want to get just enough access to the factory horn mount, and replace it with a new Italian style air horn from Griot's. Is there an EASIER way to get to where the horn is mounted behind the bumper either by (1) removing the lower bellypan only, or (2) going through a wheel well liner, for example?? Or am I screwed, I need to bite the bullet and set aside a Sat afternoon to strip off my car's bumper cover just to replace the darned horn? I'm thinking/hoping that Porsche designers were smart enough to offer up a simpler way to replace a simple horn than dismantling the front end.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 PM
joetz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing. I hate the idea of taking my bumper off, I'm worried it won't line up again right. My horn sounds like crap, only one of the two horns is working.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:38 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for the same info - my horn needs replacing - looking for the easy way in.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

Don't worry about alignment. These things are designed to go on quickly during assembly and there is no room for adjustments. It's best to take it all apart to gain access. While in there, clean out your intakes.

A good weekend project.

Quick Reply: Replacing 997 horn without removing bumper cover? NEW QUESTION