Sponsored by:

Painted Calipers yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Painted Calipers yesterday.

Well, I bought everything I needed to do my calipers myself...floor jack, jack stands, red caliper paint, decals and brushes. Took my time sanding using my Fein MultiMaster - simply the best tool to do the caliper sanding. Painting wasn't the easiest and required some patience for sure. 4 coats did it. Decals were from www.eagleday.com. They came out great but I do have a question: I bought the clear engine enamel, and spayed one caliper. To my surprise it hazed the color and freaked me out. So I stopped and left the other 3 without the clear enamel. Do I need to clear coat the decal? Will the decals come off for casual driving?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
caliper. To my surprise it hazed the color and freaked me out. So I stopped and left the other 3 without the clear enamel. Do I need to clear coat the decal? Will the decals come off for casual driving?
yes, you should apply clear if possible.

now that the clear has dried, is it still hazed?
are you sure the color and clear are both enamels and no mixing of enamel / lacquer based paints?

Sorry to hear it didn't work out the first go-round.

Craig
Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

The clear cleared up after drying, yes. Hey, no problem, the calipers came out great and I'm thrilled. I read somewhere here that someone didn't clear coat the calipers and they were fine and no peeling at all. So I'll likely clear coat the other 3. I used the Dupli caliper paint and Dupli engine enamel in clear that is good for up to 500 degrees.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 PM
philyeh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics please! =)
Old 10-01-2010, 02:33 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
Well, I bought everything I needed to do my calipers myself...floor jack, jack stands, red caliper paint, decals and brushes. Took my time sanding using my Fein MultiMaster - simply the best tool to do the caliper sanding. Painting wasn't the easiest and required some patience for sure. 4 coats did it. Decals were from www.eagleday.com. They came out great but I do have a question: I bought the clear engine enamel, and spayed one caliper. To my surprise it hazed the color and freaked me out. So I stopped and left the other 3 without the clear enamel. Do I need to clear coat the decal? Will the decals come off for casual driving?
i just used K2 paint kit without anything else on my calipers and calipers look fine after whole season and 5 DE days.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Here's some pics.
Attached Images      
Old 10-01-2010, 05:07 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Damn fine job!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Taxi?
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. I've been wanting to paint mine but the G2 kit I saw recommended doing so when the temperature was no greater than 70 degrees. Unfortunately, in South Florida we're not even close to the 60's yet.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:44 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 436 Posts

Wow..wonderful job! Good work.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the compliments. I want to thank all the posters who have painted their calipers and posted pictures and did write ups on it. Without this forum and your help I would never have been able to do it myself. I'm almost 59 and I'm soo sore from kneeling, bending, up and down, for the hours I spent sanding and painting and jacking and blah blah blah. HOWEVER, I'm more confident now. So my next project will be doing my own oil changes. Hey times are tough and saving money is important even to a P owner.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:56 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default nice job

great DIY project, thanks for posting.... great to see people working on their own cars.... good luck with the oil changes!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:09 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Nice job but I like the way they came from the factory
Attached Images   
Old 10-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice job!

I did the same thing a couple years ago with the Duplicolor paints and decals from Xenonmods(Porsche has since forced them to stop selling the decals) and it has held up really well. I have heard that tracking the car, with it's associated high brake temps., will turn the paint black! I have yet to challenge that claim.

Be very careful with brake fluid. I flushed my brakes and clutch(an easy way to save a couple hundred bucks) and didn't clean up sufficiently around one of the nipples resulting in a bit of crazed paint where it pooled.

Here's a picture from this summer when I pulled the front bumper to clean the radiators(yet another easy task to tackle on your own.)
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2010, 12:45 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
Nice job!

I did the same thing a couple years ago with the Duplicolor paints and decals from Xenonmods(Porsche has since forced them to stop selling the decals) and it has held up really well. I have heard that tracking the car, with it's associated high brake temps., will turn the paint black! I have yet to challenge that claim.

Be very careful with brake fluid. I flushed my brakes and clutch(an easy way to save a couple hundred bucks) and didn't clean up sufficiently around one of the nipples resulting in a bit of crazed paint where it pooled.

Here's a picture from this summer when I pulled the front bumper to clean the radiators(yet another easy task to tackle on your own.)
I like your use of a floor runner
Old 10-02-2010, 01:10 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 339 Likes on 151 Posts

Looks good......but I would have to deduct a tenth of a point for not having your center caps lined up right! The bottom of the crest is "supposed" to point to the valve stem!

Quick Reply: Painted Calipers yesterday.