Sponsored by:

small puddle under front of car

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:25 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default small puddle under front of car

Got home today and I noticed a puddle under the front of my 06 997. I moved the car and it just looks and feels like water.

I have attached two pictures, but they are kinda crummy. (note that the puddle grew quite a bit after the photo).

The coolant level is fine. The liquid clear (soaked some of it up in a papertowel)... nor is it oily feeling.

Is this where the AC condensor is? Is it just dripping condensation? Worried over nothing?

Thanks guys.
Attached Images   
Old 09-25-2010, 03:28 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Clear and water-like? Gotta be the AC (assuming it was on). No problem. Colored and/or oily? Problem
Old 09-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If it dries relatively quickly then it probably is simply water from the a/c evaporator. If it has a distinct odor, and has any color to it, then it may be something else.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:17 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

You know, as a new 911 owner, I am very curious to know if this puddle is near the AC condenser?

Is the condenser in the front of the car? This is the second time in as many weeks I have seen a similar type of water/puddle seen under a 911, last time it was near the rear if I remember correctly, this time its near the front, but both times the answers revolved around the AC condenser.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Yes. There are drains in that area of the vehicle. One of the truly nice things about a rear-engined car is that when you see drips in the rear of the car you should worry. If in the front half, you can generally ignore it.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks as always guys!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:32 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
You know, as a new 911 owner, I am very curious to know if this puddle is near the AC condenser?

Is the condenser in the front of the car? This is the second time in as many weeks I have seen a similar type of water/puddle seen under a 911, last time it was near the rear if I remember correctly, this time its near the front, but both times the answers revolved around the AC condenser.
The AC condensers are in the front of the car, but you won't get any water leak from them. The condensation comes from the evaporator.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:11 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
The AC condensers are in the front of the car, but you won't get any water leak from them. The condensation comes from the evaporator.
That's good to know, are the evaporators up front also?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 PM
mihink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reviving an old thread. Just got my 997 C2S a week ago. Spotless PPI except for some "peeling" from the OEM rims (no biggie)...90 degree temps today, turned on AC for a while.

I see a small spot of fluid dripping very slowly from the front/gearbox area of the car! There is no hole there per se, looking under the car is just a bunch of panels with one panel in the middle of the car "wet" and dripping the fluid.
Holy S***. Freaked out about the RMS/IMS/whatever failures I have been reading about, Have to say my sphincter is tight enough right now to make diamonds !!
This is just the AC condenser fluid right?? The RMS/IMS is in the rear of the car, correct? Anyone have pics of a true RMS failure
Please help
Old 04-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

A/c--it's just the a/c.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RMS/IMS is in back inside the noisy thing.

Read the posts in this thread over again. Then relax.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 PM
mihink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for the quick repsonse. Ended up 'tasting' the fluid..tasteless, no oil.
Man....I thought owning a bunch of BMWs including an M3 was nerve racking...the Porsche is on a whole another level.
I think it's probably the AC...question is, why is there no dedicated 'spout' to release the fluid like every other car on the planet
Old 04-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mihink
Thx for the quick repsonse. Ended up 'tasting' the fluid..tasteless, no oil.
Man....I thought owning a bunch of BMWs including an M3 was nerve racking...the Porsche is on a whole another level.
I think it's probably the AC...question is, why is there no dedicated 'spout' to release the fluid like every other car on the planet
There is a 'spout' (a drain) but it is designed to work with the car in motion and air blowing past. A tech walked me around under a car the other day pointing out all the various drains and there are more than a few and they are not just the hoses of old hanging down but aerodynanically sophisticated vents/drains.

What I try to do is when I have been driving the car to turn off the A/C -- but leave the cabin vent fan running) a distance from my destination to give time to dry the A/C evaporator to avoid the thing getting smelly, but to avoid the sometimes a bit scary puddle under the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:57 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

If you're not sure, put a piece of white paper under the car. it'll drip and you can see the color very clearly.

Quick Reply: small puddle under front of car