Sponsored by:

Spoiler Issue Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Spoiler Issue Need advise

I've only owned my 07 4 cab for a couple months and have been bothered as to if my spoiler is raising up when I'm going 70+ mph. You really can't see it when sitting in the car driving. Then yesterday I manually raised it in the driveway and it went up sounding like an old squeaky door. So now I'm asking all of you, how do I know if the spoiler is engaging while driving? Do I have to have somebody follow me to tell me if it went up? What should I do to quiet that squeak? Silicone spray on the arms that raise it or some other lube?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:53 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds silly, but I could not tell either if the spoiler was up or not, I just drove next to a shiny dark colored car and looked at my own reflection. Sure enough it was there.

As for the squeak, have someone in the car while you stand out back and see where the squeak is coming from. If it is the shock column holding it up, you might be able to lube it with some light household oil or silicone spray to smooth it out.

My Honda Pilot shocks were squeaky and a bit of good old "3in1" household oil on the inner post (the one that slides into the outer shock) cured it right up. It's been squeak free for a couple of years now since then.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been floating around. Pretty clever. Duct tape won't hurt paint unless it's left there for days.

Can also hold a hand mirror up high thru the unroof: be careful.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Good idea. I will try that. thanks.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:36 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or, just look at the light on the button in the interior. If it's lit, it's up.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
It's only lit if you manually raised the spoiler.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Edit: Ucube is correct. The light doesn't go on when the spoiler goes up in automatic mode. Only when the spoiler has been activated manually.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:12 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Has anyone had the following issue: While driving ingage "sport" button on PASM, then press the spoiler button, the light will come on. Then try lowering the spoiler back by pressing the button again - no luck. The light stays on and the spoiler stays up. I tried disengaging PASM first, then lowering the spoiler - same result.
If I activate the spoiler without PASM, it goes up/down no problems. Its only when I use the spoiler in conjunction with PASM, that the spoiler wont go down untill the car is restarted.
Any thoughts?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Has anyone had the following issue: While driving ingage "sport" button on PASM, then press the spoiler button, the light will come on. Then try lowering the spoiler back by pressing the button again - no luck. The light stays on and the spoiler stays up. I tried disengaging PASM first, then lowering the spoiler - same result.
If I activate the spoiler without PASM, it goes up/down no problems. Its only when I use the spoiler in conjunction with PASM, that the spoiler wont go down untill the car is restarted.
Any thoughts?
At speeds between 0 and 20mph you must press and HOLD the button until the spoiler retracts and the light goes out. Spoiler goes into automatic mode.

Between 20 and 60 you can press the button briefly and the spoiler retracts and the light goes out. Spoiler goes to automatic.

Above 60 you can press the button briefly. The spoiler stays up but the light will go out. Spoiler is again in automatic mode.

This is how it should work. The spoiler operation has nothing to do with PASM. If your results vary, then something is wrong.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:01 PM
philyeh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
I manually raised it in the driveway and it went up sounding like an old squeaky door. ... What should I do to quiet that squeak? Silicone spray on the arms that raise it or some other lube?
I also had a squeak/groan issue when the spoiler of my 997.1S went up. I brought it to the dealer, and they lubed it up under warranty. No issues since then. I'm sure somebody else has the DIY solution, but it's something the dealer should take care of if you're still under warranty.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

You can spray a big of silicon spray in areas that are logical when looking at how it is designed.

What you can always do is position yourself next to a large black flat panel sized truck or van when you are doing about 74 mph and then goose it a little to see if the tail goes up.

Here is what I have learned. My speedo is conservative. When I have an indicated 75 mph I am actually doing about 73 mph. When I am doing 77 mph indicated, I am finally hitting 75 mph. The spoiled is designed to go up at an actual 75 mph. If you NEVER go above 75 mph indicated, the tail will never deploy. I have friends that I drive with that swear that my spoiler is broken--but I am careful not to exceed about 77.5 mph indicated as that is where the tail comes up. (I do it to maintain a 'cleaner' drag coefficient).

The truly easy way to determine this is to have a friend behind you with a cell phone and slowly work your way up in speed, while they watch and report to you.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:57 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That reminds me of when I was on a drive with the DC/MD/VA RL group last spring. I was behind a bunch of 993s and 997s. When the road opened up, all the spoilers popped up at the same time.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Remember, they deploy at an actual 120 kph (74.5 mph ACTUAL). For me, it's about 77.4 indicated.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Remember, they deploy at an actual 120 kph (74.5 mph ACTUAL). For me, it's about 77.4 indicated.
??? Mine deploys @ 50 and I had it confirmed by a few friends following me at runs. I think I also read in the manual, that 50 is the mph. Maybe the 997.2 models deploy earlier?
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
??? Mine deploys @ 50 and I had it confirmed by a few friends following me at runs. I think I also read in the manual, that 50 is the mph. Maybe the 997.2 models deploy earlier?
We're both right Edgy! I checked the book, the spoiler's deployment is actaually based on engine compartment temp. When it's below 122F, it deploys at 75mph, when over 140f, it deploys @ 50mph!

Quick Reply: Spoiler Issue Need advise