Sponsored by:

16 Steps to Install Exhaust on 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation 16 Steps to Install Exhaust on 997.2

typed this up for the gentleman i sold my exhaust to, figured it might help others with 997.2 (this guide was to install new sidecans as well as fabspeed center bypass X pipe, other systems should be same)

if you have jack stands i would raise both rears on stands... wheels can remain ON.

WAIT TILL CAR IS COLD, EXHAUST BITS GET HOT!

first steps are to loosen all hardware:

1: loosen and remove the 3 bolts that connect the CATS to the OEM center muffler (i believe 12mm or 14mm) (top one is difficult, but their is a bracket on that bolt that holds on the side cans)

2: loosen the 2 bolts on each of the 2 "clamps" that connect the center muffler to the side cans (these dont come off, just loosen until you can slide the "clamps"either onto the center muffler or onto the side can piping) (same 12 or 14mm)

3: loosen and remove the 2 bolts per side that hold the side cans onto the car (they are right by wheel well same size as rest (sorry i cant remember if 12 or 14mm)

4: remove the metal bar that connects the rear bumper to the car, one side is a ALLEN bolt the other end is a 10mm bolt

5: loosen bolt on exhaust tip, and pull exhaust tip off car (both sides)

NOW YOU WILL HAVE ALL EXHAUST STILL ON CAR BUT ALL NUTS REMOVED SO EVERYTHING IS JUST HANGING FREELY AND NOT CONNECTED

6: remove the side cans first (slide off the side bracket, and then weight will be on the other bracket by the cats)... it will then slide down when released of the bolts and u can angle it inward if needed to have it slide down... with the side bar removed as you did on step 4 it should slide out.. maybe pull slightly to have it fall out)

7: repeat on opposite side

8: remove bracket on oem and install on cans i sent you

9: remove the center muffler, two braces go around the muffler and are held on by allen bolt, remove bolt completely.. slide braces to the side and muffler pulls off. (do not reuse these braces on aftermarket center)

10: take the clamps that held the oem center muffler to the oem side cans, place these on the aftermarket center pipe on the correct sides..

11: install aftermarket center pipe, the cats slightly "sag" when you remove the oem center pipe so you might have to use a pipe or something to pull/push the cats slightly to line up the holes... i have "widened" the holes in the aftermarket center pipe to make this work easier, you can do the same if needed. ***note, please reuse the oem "washer" that goes between cat exit and center pipe (its triangle flat piece of metal)

12: put inner most bottom nuts on (at cat) to hold on temporarily, loosely just so center doesnt fall off on your head)

13: put on new side cans, sometimes tough to slip up into hole but its not bad... just angle em in a lil and slide up.. put can on bracket by the wheel well... then that holds it why you get the bracket that slips on the bolts by the cat...

14: put nuts on the side bracket, put nuts on the CAT bolts, slide clamps from center pipe over halfway between side cans and center pipe..

EVERYTHING WILL NOW BE IN PLACE BUT NOT TIGHTENED.

all exhaust nuts get tightened to ONLY 15 ft/lbs (this is pretty much just past hand tight, a little play is required on all exhaust bolts as if you tighten them too much it will cause a vibration in the car at idle, if you notice a vibration at idle, check these nuts...

15: replace the tips, these might take a little work as they need to be "spread" out slightly to slip back over the pipes... i kinda tapped them with a small hammer and spread the clamps a little so they would slip over the pipes on the car.. tighten this bolt (i always did it very snug as to not lose the tips off the car whilst driving)

16: lower car off jack stands, start car and have fun... no codes will be thrown because all the exhaust is after the sensors... some have stated they disconnected the battery terminal while doing the install, this forces the system to "reassess" all fuel/etc values upon startup.. which means the engine kinda takes notice of the new parts and adjusts the fuel/etc... i never did this and never had any problems.. you can do either way.

-Riley
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Bumping this up, I found it very helpful. I plan to install mine soon.

I am curious many say to buy Half Moon Rachet wrenches, I am curious what size? Looks like it is all metric so maybe I will just buy a Metric Set.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

it's very simple with a proper set of tools, i swapped the exhaust like 4x in one day once because i was testing diff setups i had bought.

the open ratcheting wrenches are hard to find, just buy a full set metric.. i always buy "craftsman" because fit perfectly and never strip a bolt.

Quick Reply: 16 Steps to Install Exhaust on 997.2