Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Keyed, Bay Area Repair Suggestions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:34 AM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Keyed, Bay Area Repair Suggestions....

Alas, my car got keyed yesterday. I couldn't park in my usual spot because it will filled, and I ended up parking in a slightly more visible spot.....

It's not that bad, just the driver's side door. Right above the handle. Pic attached.

Anyways, any suggestions on where in the Bay Area to get this fixed? Do dealers fix these sort of things or is it better to go to a body shop? I don't really care about the price, I just want it to be fixed properly.

Thanks for any advice....
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

Take it to the best shop you can find. That doesn't always mean the dealer. (You will get a lot of input from SF area guys on Saturday/Sunday).

What they should do, to do this correctly, is to remove the door, and the handle, and then blend in the repair. They should not have to strip off the entire door--if they're good. They will have to order a new rummer trim piece to replace on the perimeter of the door.

Be patient. You want the primer to cure at least a week, whereby it shrinks into the job and then when the final color coat goes on you will see no indications of where the blend was done.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:24 AM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Stuff like that is really infuriating
Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unbelieveable. Where the heck were you parked? These cars are a dime-a-dozen in the Bay Area so it's hard for me to understand why someone would do this.

Try Derek at Concourse in Campbell: 408 377 7997

He does incredible work - including the blending you'll need.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

I feel your pain. One of, if not the best, paint shop I've had work done at in the past is EMC which is in Fremont. They do all the work for the local Porsche, Benz and BMW dealers and work on quite a few exotics too. They are not cheap, but they do the job right. As Dan said, to do the job right is all in the prep. They'll do a perfect job of blending...I guarantee you will not know it is any different than factory. One of the reasons I like EMC is they are able to match factory orange peel perfectly....this is key in ensuring the job is unrecognizable.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
I feel your pain. One of, if not the best, paint shop I've had work done at in the past is EMC which is in Fremont. They do all the work for the local Porsche, Benz and BMW dealers and work on quite a few exotics too. They are not cheap, but they do the job right. As Dan said, to do the job right is all in the prep. They'll do a perfect job of blending...I guarantee you will not know it is any different than factory. One of the reasons I like EMC is they are able to match factory orange peel perfectly....this is key in ensuring the job is unrecognizable.
Isn't EMC in Milpitas? IIRC EMC is used by Fletcher-Jones for its M-B body/paint work and maybe the BMW next door to F-J Porsche uses it too. I've never used it but have heard good things about EMC.

To the OP: I had my Turbo fixed (after hitting a mule deer) at FMC in Fremont. Take Automall Parkway exit east off of I-880. On Automall Pkwy at first light take a right then take next right and FMC at end of street (cul de sac) on the left.

IIRC the corner where you turn right then right again has a Chevron station with a car wash facility.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

This is despicable. If in Palo Alto, take it to Mathew-Carlsen - 2480 Faber Place
Palo Alto, CA 94303, (650) 856-6200.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewk34
Alas, my car got keyed yesterday. I couldn't park in my usual spot because it will filled, and I ended up parking in a slightly more visible spot.....
Where did this happen? There are lots of sick people out there.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:39 PM
modenaboy
6th Gear

Really sorry to hear this, hopefully will be fixed up soon. Where did it happen? Palo Alto is usually pretty safe and as someone mentioned there's lots of 911s around here.

Anyway, back around 2000 or so I needed some work on a few cars (got hit while parked and at a red light). By far, the best place quality wise and professionally (and most courteous, and easy to deal with) was Brooks Motor Cars in Oakland (they also have a couple other locations in San Fran and San Leandro). Someone else I know used them and gave me the recommendation, they did a great job on his car as well.

My only complain is the Flash on their site and no control to turn off music! I just checked to make sure I had the current number :-)

http://www.brooksmotorcars.com/
(510) 632-8901 Strek

I dealt with Dan Kim when I needed work, he was excellent, highest recommendation.

-- Gordie
Old 09-18-2010, 05:00 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

This is despicable. If in Palo Alto, take it to Mathew-Carlsen - 2480 Faber Place
Palo Alto, CA 94303, (650) 856-6200.
+1.

Call Paul at Mathew-Carlsen, he will make sure that your car will be repaired to perfect.

Last time when I used them, I sent a couple dozens of Beard Papa's cream puffs to the shop, and that (per Paul's words) created a small riot in the shop when they fought for the last cream puff.

I think if you mention Alex with those Beard Papa's cream puffs, Paul will remember

With best regards,

P.S. Where did your car get keyed? I am so afraid to park my car in the Bay Area nowadays. Today is different than a few years ago, fewer nice cars and fewer nice people around...
Old 09-18-2010, 05:35 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Sorry for your pain. Man you just hate it when folks can't appreciate the fruits of your hard labor. Some people are sick.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:17 PM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the kind words and body shop suggestions. This does suck. It is much easier to take someone hitting your car by accident. A random act of vandalism is somehow more disturbing.

Anyways, this happened in Berkeley in one of the university parking lots (the new underground lot Haste Street and Channing). A few months back they started to allow hourly parking (instead of just yearly passes), and the lot became less safe. I'm not parking there anymore.

I think this would be much less likely to have happened in Palo Alto.

I'm thinking of going to EMC in Fremont, as a couple of you have helpfully suggested.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I know this probably won't make you feel any better but at least the ******* didn't go from front fender to rear quarter.

We had one of our company trucks hit in the parking lot of a local mall. Our guy reported it and the LEO that responded was pissed as well. Claims it has happened to him a couple of times there too. He went to the trouble of checking the security cameras for the offender. He got her! She was charged with hit and run.

Since that time I look for spots to park that have cameras.

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 09-18-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:52 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Berkeley - figures. Stupid dirty hippies. You weren't taking up 2 spots or anything like that, were you?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm shocked that someone in Berkeley would have the gall to impose their whims on other people's personal property. Please read with (Extreme Sarcastic tone).

So much for liberal compassion right! It works great if you pass laws so that everyone likes what they like.
I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life. My Parents Parents grew up here and there is nothing more bureaucratic, hypocritical and pathetic then the government mingling and personal double standards of the good town of Berkeley.

Remember when they banned Fire Trucks from flying the American Flag after 911? or my personal favorite.... when they had those ill fated "crosswalk flags" that people were supposed return to the receptacle on the opposite side of the street after crossing?

Quick Reply: Car Keyed, Bay Area Repair Suggestions....