Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Paddle shifters vs Toggle

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:57 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

I have switched to the paddles and like them alot vs the previous OEM toggles. But to each his own. IMHO the paddles were not a large cost or unreasonable upgrade for something I use daily.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I am sure you are the autox expert. I do not autox, except on fun PCNA events with their cars.

Re the WR comment... he works for PAG and not everything he says is gospel, AFAIC. Other professional drivers differ, and at the end of the day, I think for myself, and do not necessarily follow endorsements.

This is like 6speed vs PDK. I like that PAG offers options. I do indeed like the redundant toggles. It's great that conventional paddles exist for those who prefer that.
Fair enough. I don't necessarily follow endorsements either. I also think for myself which is what I did when I encountered an issue with the buttons and solved the problem with the paddle wheel. The WR comment and reference was simply anectodal evidence that certain professionals shared my view; and also proof that those opinions weren't simply a "wives tale". And FWIW, the problem didn't arise because I was holding the wheel in the wrong place as you suggested in post 6.

Originally, I also had no issues with the buttons on the street although now that I have the paddles I must say I prefer them for both street and track. To each his own.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 09-16-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by kosmo
for you gents that made the shift (pun) to paddles, what was the total cost (part + labor)? I know Suncoast is selling them for about $1000. tks
Someone posted recently that the paddle wheel was now going for $1350 at Suncoast despite what it says on the web site. In any event, I paid $980 for the wheel and $180 for the labor. You should know that it actually took about 20 minutes start to finish to install the wheel and recalibrate the wheel position sensor; not $180 worth of labor.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:42 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Wives' tale. I recently had a long private driving session with PSDS' top instructor, and he had no trouble with the redundant toggles and he does not prefer the paddles... It's all a matter of learning to hold the steering wheel properly.
That's not what the PSDS instructor were saying to me back in March.

I have had both and prefer the paddles.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:26 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

i am actually trying to complete an order from suncoast but they are also giving me a higher price. they mention that the wheel is available at the website price but i will have to wait 4 to 6 months...dont you think thats a bit riduculous? i know suncoast is a very reputable parts supplier i just hope they are not trying to take advantage of the demand for the wheel. im still trying to ask why should i pay more if they are telling me the price is such. im still hoping our guys in suncoast will be able to make me a happy customer.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
i am actually trying to complete an order from suncoast but they are also giving me a higher price. they mention that the wheel is available at the website price but i will have to wait 4 to 6 months...dont you think thats a bit riduculous? i know suncoast is a very reputable parts supplier i just hope they are not trying to take advantage of the demand for the wheel. im still trying to ask why should i pay more if they are telling me the price is such. im still hoping our guys in suncoast will be able to make me a happy customer.
I bought mine at Suncoast at the lower price, but they told me that was the last of the old stock. It appears Porsche changed the part number to raise the price when they found how popular the paddle wheels were. If I did not autocross my car I would have stayed with the toggles. It is not that the paddles are quicker than the toggles, just that they are out of the way so accidental up shifts are all but eliminated. I don't think Suncoast is playing with you it is just that the price has gone up from Porsche as the demand has increased.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
briweed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
I just got off the phone and ordered on (with SC indicator lights, in black) for $989.00 from Suncoast. That was the price listed on the site and what he quoted me.

B
Old 09-17-2010, 12:44 PM
briweed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Someone posted recently that the paddle wheel was now going for $1350 at Suncoast despite what it says on the web site. In any event, I paid $980 for the wheel and $180 for the labor. You should know that it actually took about 20 minutes start to finish to install the wheel and recalibrate the wheel position sensor; not $180 worth of labor.
Interested to know what they did to "recalibrate the wheel position sensor". All DIY instructions I have seen, do not mention this.

B
Old 09-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by briweed
Interested to know what they did to "recalibrate the wheel position sensor". All DIY instructions I have seen, do not mention this.

B
My understanding is that measuring steering wheel input relative to road wheel positioning is one of the factors that PSM takes into account when stabilizing the car. When you replace the steering wheel (or do an alignment) it must be "zeroed out" and precisely centered again for everything to be properly synched. A PIWIS tool is required for this. I can't speak to the discrepancy with the DIY instructions you mention, but that's the info I have.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 09-17-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: New Paddle shifters vs Toggle