Sponsored by:

New Paddle shifters vs Toggle

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:46 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Paddle shifters vs Toggle

I just saw the Paddle style steering wheel for the 1st time. Is this P's admittance that paddles are better then toggles? Are toggles expected to go away?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kosmo
I just saw the Paddle style steering wheel for the 1st time. Is this P's admittance that paddles are better then toggles? Are toggles expected to go away?
I doubt ze germans believe paddles are superior in any way to the old buttons, but rather that they recognized a high demand for paddles and an opportunity for further profits.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:56 PM
kosmo
Race Director

yeah, Im sure the idea of extra Deustche Marks I mean Euros was/is very appealing. In fact, maybe, this was the orginial plan. IF so BRILLIANT!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Here we go again... PAG's redundant buttons are superior. No room for error, no matter where the steering wheel is. Some follow the herd and prefer the paddles that the other guys use. I like buttons.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Here we go again... PAG's redundant buttons are superior. No room for error, no matter where the steering wheel is. Some follow the herd and prefer the paddles that the other guys use. I like buttons.
Here we go again indeed. The implication of this statement is that buttons are superior in all situations, which is incorrect. During track work the buttons, because of their positioning, can be triggered by mistake, something that is virtually impossible to do with the paddles. I had the button wheel and switched to the paddle wheel for just this reason, as have several other posters on the board. This has nothing to do with "following the herd", it's a reasonable response to a known issue.

BTW, no less of a "herd follower" than Walter Rohrl insisted to Porsche brass that a paddle wheel was a necessity for the PDK gearbox.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

BTW, no less of a "herd follower" than Walter Rohrl insisted to Porsche brass that a paddle wheel was a necessity for the PDK gearbox.
Wives' tale. I recently had a long private driving session with PSDS' top instructor, and he had no trouble with the redundant toggles and he does not prefer the paddles... It's all a matter of learning to hold the steering wheel properly.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Wives' tale. I recently had a long private driving session with PSDS' top instructor, and he had no trouble with the redundant toggles and he does not prefer the paddles... It's all a matter of learning to hold the steering wheel properly.
Not a wives tale. See Panorama magazine December 2009, pages 18-20, "A Conversation With Walter Rohrl" wherein his comments about PDK and paddle shifting are documented.

BTW, we have a 2-day autox event at the Sonoma County Airport this coming weekend. Come on up and we can see whose technique is superior. I'm sure with all that training you'll be a formidable competitor.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Here we go again indeed. The implication of this statement is that buttons are superior in all situations, which is incorrect. During track work the buttons, because of their positioning, can be triggered by mistake, something that is virtually impossible to do with the paddles. I had the button wheel and switched to the paddle wheel for just this reason, as have several other posters on the board. This has nothing to do with "following the herd", it's a reasonable response to a known issue.

+1.

To OP, basically it comes down to your usage, for street driving the buttons are just fine. However, if you track regularly, paddle shifter are by far more superior.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I was a fan , at the beginning, of the original PDK steering wheel. But, as I started autocrossing and tracking the car I quickly changed my mind. After several accidental up-shifts (palm of the hand and up shift button are natural companions in a turn) I ordered the paddle shift wheel and am totally satisfied. I like the paddles but love the fact they are out of the way. No more accidental up shifts. I understand it is now a now cost option when ordering
Old 09-16-2010, 07:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Not a wives tale. See Panorama magazine December 2009, pages 18-20, "A Conversation With Walter Rohrl" wherein his comments about PDK and paddle shifting are documented.

BTW, we have a 2-day autox event at the Sonoma County Airport this coming weekend. Come on up and we can see whose technique is superior. I'm sure with all that training you'll be a formidable competitor.
I am sure you are the autox expert. I do not autox, except on fun PCNA events with their cars.

Re the WR comment... he works for PAG and not everything he says is gospel, AFAIC. Other professional drivers differ, and at the end of the day, I think for myself, and do not necessarily follow endorsements.

This is like 6speed vs PDK. I like that PAG offers options. I do indeed like the redundant toggles. It's great that conventional paddles exist for those who prefer that.

Last edited by ADias; 09-16-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 PM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Points to Mike in CA for quick counterpunching!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GHills
Points to Mike in CA for quick counterpunching!
Do you see this forum exchange as a boxing ring? I do respect Mike's perspective, but he has his, I have mine - I do not see this as a competition for POVs.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I am sure you are the autox expert. I do not autox, except on fun PCNA events with their cars.

Re the WR comment... he works for PAG and not everything he says is gospel, AFAIC. Other professional drivers differ, and at the end of the day, I think for myself, and do not necessarily follow endorsements.

This is like 6speed vs PDK. I like that PAG offers options. I do indeed like the redundant toggles. It's great that conventional paddles exist for those who prefer that.
Yeah, but it's a very much proven fact that paddle shifters are superior form factor for tracking/racing. Just look at all F1 cars.

One person may totally prefer one over the other, for instance I prefer 6-speed to PDK, but it's a fact that PDK shifts faster than manual! it's also a FACT that Paddle Shifters are easier to modulate in tracking/racing environment, but may not be your preffered choice.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 PM
kosmo
Race Director

for you gents that made the shift (pun) to paddles, what was the total cost (part + labor)? I know Suncoast is selling them for about $1000. tks

Quick Reply: New Paddle shifters vs Toggle