Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM vs. SPASM - daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had an '06 S, sport chrono et al and now have '09 S with sport chrono, pdk, spasm etc. I have found that the underneath air deflector on the '06 was much more susceptible to damage/dislodgement than the redesigned '09. The '06 deflector extends completely across the front and is further forward while the '09 is just in front of the tires. I cant explain how but I seem to bottom out on speed bumps less on the '09 although it sits 10 mm lower. May be the shape of the pdk vrs manual explains this observation. I prefer the spasm and have subjected both to track and autocross.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:07 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You know, I was going to write that in my reply as well, but it somewhat defied logic so I didn't. But reading your experience and thinking about it I have to agree, that even though my 09 SPASM is 10mm lower, it scrapes less than my 07 did. Both manual.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I wonder if it has something to do with PDK raising the front because its heavier? When looking at the GTS specs this morning I noticed the MT GTS has a .30cf, while the PDK has .31cf. More air/clearance getting under the car maybe?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:26 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Quoted from Porsche web site: Ride height lowered by 20 mm. Stiffer springs, shock absorbers and anti-roll bars. Requires 19-inch wheels.
Ride height lowered 20mm when compared with the base Carrera. It's 10mm lower than the S. I loved SPASM when I extensively test drove it.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

On the Porsche website's car configurator for a 997 S there is an option described as "sports suspension (-20 mm) including mechanical rear differential lock". Is this what you guys are calling spasm? And pasm is std on a 997 S right?

Last edited by paver; 01-30-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: absent mindedness
Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
On the Porsche website's car configurator for a 997 S there is an option described as "sports suspension (-20 mm) including mechanical rear differential lock". Is this what you guys are calling spasm? And pasm is std on a 997 S right?
Yes/Yes
Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 PM
CarreraBrad
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone swapped SPASM springs with PASM springs?

I have Sports PASM and love the handling and LSD that this option provides - a must for track days. But for the street, where I live, it's harsh - esp. the much stiffer rear springs.

Has anyone swapped the SPASM springs for the PASM set? I would be interested in ability to do this with factory parts and costs. Thanks

Last edited by CarreraBrad; 02-26-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: misspelled a word
Old 09-04-2017, 11:59 AM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah,

SPASM a is Must have.

I say that not to cause you buyer's remorse, but rather in hopes of informing others (and perhaps you for your next 911 purchase).

Driving dynamics improve dramatically when SPASM is pressed.
While driving in the city or on poor roads, you'll definitely want to leave it unpressed.

Obviously, don't press SPASM while entering a driveway with a lip or over speed-bumps. Ride height certainly is an issue, but the sharpened suspension with SPASM is definitely worth it! No doubts.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:38 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
...SPASM a is Must have.
By chance have you driven regular PASM in Sports mode?

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to have SPASM than not!

But while desirable, I wouldn't turn down a car that has regular PASM based on Pete Stout's review of PASM vs. SPASM:

• Here's the article - http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...s/the-hard-way
  • And here's some selected quotes from Pete:
    • Even with standard PASM, it [997.2 C4S with standard PASM] offers sharp handling, keen steering, and loads of grip
    • Sport PASM just didn’t seem like much of a compromise
    • Sport PASM C4S felt subtly sharper, turning in just a bit better — and its limited-slip diff is a welcome addition
    • As for me? It’d be Sport PASM — but I’m just glad we finally have the choice

Hence the question to understand the emphatic statement that you gotta have it...

Originally Posted by love2drive
Obviously, don't press SPASM while entering a driveway with a lip or over speed-bumps. Ride height certainly is an issue, but the sharpened suspension with SPASM is definitely worth it!

Those last comments sorta/kinda implies engaging Sports or Sports-Plus mode with SPASM (or PASM) affects low-speed clearance. That's not really the case:

• Those modes affect the shock damping characteristics, not ride height
  • Whether on/off won't make any difference going over speed-bumps, etc. at low speeds
  • Now of course SPASM has shorter springs than PASM, hence there is reduced clearance with SPASM
  • But that's unrelated to the modes...

Karl.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 951 Posts

2009 C2S 118K miles

I never liked the ride in my S (PASM)...... there are alternatives, one is about $1K and takes all of 5 mnts to change in and change back out...

Read here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-opinion.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: PASM vs. SPASM - daily driving