Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's side window won't go all the way up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 12:53 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
2+ years later, finally got it fixed. A new used window motor for $50 from eBay fixed the issue. Hopefully this helps somebody down the road.
@TerrestrialFlyte With your issue, when you close the door, does the window attempt to rise, but just doesn't rise fully, or it wouldn't attempt to rise at all?
Mine is having this issue - it would rise when the door is closed but not fully, leaving a gap with the rubber seal (you can see that in this vid :
)

The car was at a wrap shop and the battery was disconnected at some point. I tried windows reset, did nothing. Tried disconnecting the battery and window reset, also nothing. I want to see if the symptom is identical to yours before trying to replace the motor...
Old 02-27-2024, 01:01 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 336 Posts

No, mine did not move at all. Mine occurred after I accidentally left the lights on (within 10 days of bringing it home) and killing the battery. When I reconnected the battery and tried the window reset it worked on the passenger side but not the driver side.

Maybe what you have a loose cable. I vaguely remember watching videos when I was troubleshooting and some folks just had a cable that had “stretched” for lack of a better term. I’ll try to find one and post it up here.

Edit: The videos I found show that the slop in the cable affects the window not dropping. Opposite problem you have. This video shows how to adjust the window, which may be what you need, maybe. Could also be a motor on the way out I suppose.

Last edited by TerrestrialFlyte; 02-27-2024 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:16 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
No, mine did not move at all. Mine occurred after I accidentally left the lights on (within 10 days of bringing it home) and killing the battery. When I reconnected the battery and tried the window reset it worked on the passenger side but not the driver side.

Maybe what you have a loose cable. I vaguely remember watching videos when I was troubleshooting and some folks just had a cable that had “stretched” for lack of a better term. I’ll try to find one and post it up here.
but if the cable is stretched and so it can't pull up the glass fully - wouldn't i be able to pull the window up aa bit by hand? i tried and don't feel there is a play there to allow the window to go further up...
Old 02-27-2024, 01:49 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by byroncheung
but if the cable is stretched and so it can't pull up the glass fully - wouldn't i be able to pull the window up aa bit by hand? i tried and don't feel there is a play there to allow the window to go further up...
Yeah, that seems like it should be the case. Maybe try adjusting the window as in the idea above. Or it could be the motor in its way out. Maybe somebody with more experience with these window drop issues will provide some better insight.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:11 AM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 81 Posts

just chiming in that at about 58k on my 05 I had to replace the micro switch, which i ended up replacing all of them for both doors relating to the window since my thinking is like lightbulbs

see this post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ml#post9969739

Quick Reply: Driver's side window won't go all the way up?