Sponsored by:

A Bad Week for My Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:18 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jason952
I bet you can find some nice aerokit rockers or a techart that will cover that and upgrade the car....
I agree. Don't pay 3k to fix this. It might cost you a couple of bucks to do rockers and fix the wheel, but I can't see it being 3k. You might also want to look into getting it pulled out as someone has also said. A skilled dent person can work wonders. Sorry for your luck!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Dmitri
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your posts!

The curb rash on the wheel will can be taken care of for relatively small cost (~$100), and I found a dent removal guy who can do an inexpensive fix on the rocker panel and confine any necessary respraying to the rocker panel itself, since there is a clear dividing line between that finish and the "smooth" paint.

Turns out, the bigger pain in the butt may be that annoying "pop" that I hear when I open the door. The dealer service tech originally thought it was the door stay, but thinks it's possible that weld where the door stay bolts into the A-pillar has broken loose. He said this was a common problem on 993's, but has never seen it before on a 996 or 997. Interestingly, the dealer's own body shop thinks it's inside the door itself, so they have a gentleman's bet about the issue. The dealer is checking with PCNA to see what they recommend and (more importantly), what they'll cover.

I know, I know, I should just drive and enjoy. The small dent in the rocker panel I can live with, because it's on the passenger side of the car and I don't see it. The same with the curb rash on the rear passenger side wheel. But, every time I open my freakin' door . . . . "snap!"

I've only owned two of these cars - a 996 and this 997. Porsche basically does a great job on the engine, transmission and related mechanicals, but the build quality on the coachwork is for crap. I've never had a car with so many squeaks, rattles, loose parts and stupid things that just break (inside door handle). Maybe that's part of the "charm," but in my view, they really need to step it up a couple of notches.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:28 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Step it up" - I agree. But I wouldn't call it crap. I always had this mindset about Porsche: they are built to go fast/raced/tracked,etc; and anything that is built for such use has a shorter life span. I try not to concentrate on little things. The seat rattles and vibrates - no big deal. When I drive in SPASM all the time, I am surprised my brain and kidney are still intact (I think). It is a part of the "charm". You can not be obsessive about those things, or your Porsche will end up at the shop half the time.

Quick Reply: A Bad Week for My Car