Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: On a cold start, how warm is the engine/oil before punching it?
Punch it before engine reaches 175
5.08%
Engine temp at 175, free to go!
17.51%
Wait till oil gauge is moving up between 150-200
32.77%
Oil at about 200
35.03%
Oil 200+
9.60%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Cold start to spirited driving - how long do you wait?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

No need to insult anyone, and be vulgar. The fact that some of us respect proper use of mechanical devices does not mean others do. It's their right and that's why people must be cautious (and informed) when buying used.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
We're also not talking about a 2.5L Camry 4-cyl that struggles to put out 68 hp/L @ 6k rpm, but a (in the case of the S) 3.8L flat 6 that churns out a (still fairly mind boggling) 101 NA hp/L with a 7200 rpm redline. If you buy a timex and want to throw it in the pool, toilet, toolbox, and run it over with the car, knock yourself out. If you buy a highly precise mechanical watch and treat it like ?^%} there's only one person to blame if something goes wrong.

I mean, waiting for 200 degrees of oil temp takes, what, 3-5 minutes? People can't keep their #%^* in their pants that long before driving like a nut? Don't get me wrong - everyone has paid their their own money to drive like a fool if they want, but that doesn't make them any less of a fool.
I'm simply not sure what you think is going to be so different about the oil at 170 vs 200. Many cars out there, including my 424bhp 3.6L flat six, never even reach oil temps above 190 degrees.

170 degrees is well within "operating temperatures" for oil.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:41 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
No need to insult anyone, and be vulgar. The fact that some of us respect proper use of mechanical devices does not mean others do. It's their right and that's why people must be cautious (and informed) when buying used.
You are probably right. I had a huge steroid injection from the doctor (illness) and took the taper-down pills too soon. The wife said its making me irritable.

I'll be back to my cheery self by Monday.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Yes and to be honest I'm very surprised at the results in my thread. It's made me even more cautious (and skeptical?) about buying a used sports car.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guy, this is a car we are talking about, not a Ming vase. If you really have to treat it with kid gloves then it shouldn't let you go above 2k RPM until the oil is up to temp.

My Dad is just like you car perfectionists. He kept his cars absolutely pristine and the only people who benefitted were the ones who bought them from him.

I'm sorry if this offends you but I'm going to drive and enjoy my car; not put it in a pickle jar for the next owner.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Guy, this is a car we are talking about, not a Ming vase. If you really have to treat it with kid gloves then it shouldn't let you go above 2k RPM until the oil is up to temp.

My Dad is just like you car perfectionists. He kept his cars absolutely pristine and the only people who benefitted were the ones who bought them from him.

I'm sorry if this offends you but I'm going to drive and enjoy my car; not put it in a pickle jar for the next owner.
Totally agree. In the 70"s I had a car that I " put in the pickle jar " for 10 years. The guy I sold it to wrapped it around a lamp post 3 weeks later. From then on I never saved a car for the next guy.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:15 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also no need to ruin it for yourself down the road, if you hold on to it for awhile. I'm just stunned that so many owners would punch the throttle when the engine isn't even warmed up yet. That behavior doesn't fall into some noble category of getting the most out of your car and not saving it "for the next guy". It's simple abuse.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lugs H
Totally agree. In the 70"s I had a car that I " put in the pickle jar " for 10 years. The guy I sold it to wrapped it around a lamp post 3 weeks later. From then on I never saved a car for the next guy.
One thing that I should have mentioned. I do let the engine warm up before I get aggressive on the go pedal. But I'm not saving the car for the next guy.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:52 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Kuhan, do you own your car or lease it? If the prior, how long do you plan to keep it?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

When I drove a turbo I would wait 20 miles before I would go on boost.

Much of this is determined by where you are. If you're in Fairbanks Alaska in March, I would wait longer!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Kuhan, do you own your car or lease it? If the prior, how long do you plan to keep it?
I own - always have. I only borrow money for houses or if I can leverage interest/income rates.

And as for how long I'll keep it - until it breaks or I want a change. If I break it, then fine - it's my car and it's my fault.

Modern Porsches are mass market consumable items - if it breaks, I'll buy another. If I had a McLaren F1 or a 959 however, it would be in the pickle jar and treated with kid gloves!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:14 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

And as for how long I'll keep it - until it breaks or I want a change. If I break it, then fine - it's my car and it's my fault.
Fair enough. If someone wants to break their own toys, more power to them. The ones that really grind me are the leasers who don't care or the owners who do it and then whine.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 PM
RavenRen
Advanced

Default Have always taken care of my cars

Always took care of my cars and when I moved up to BMW and now Porsche I really take care of those cars. I don't look at it like "taking care of it for the next guy" because I buy my cars new, pay cash and drive them 100K plus miles and then buy another new one. This time a new Macan S. (Get the Swisswax ready)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:41 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wait until I see flashing blue lights, or oil climbing towards 200, before punching it.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:15 PM
Schpee007
Pro

175 is my mark. I figure at that point the temperature is still climbing and the gauge is probably lagging a bit too. And I think the poll results are not too bad. 75% or so don't push their cars until the oil temp gauge has moved. To me that shows a fairly aware group of owners.

Quick Reply: Cold start to spirited driving - how long do you wait?