Sponsored by:

Research to do before buying a preowned 997

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Research to do before buying a preowned 997

I have just finished a researching and purchasing a pre-owned 997. This is the 2nd pre-owned Porsche I have bought and learned a lot in the process. I think it would be beneficial to many people especially those who have never bought a uses P-car to make a list of important points or facts that need to be considered before buying a pre-owned Porsche. I can start it off by saying that the DME scan is one piece of information that is very valuable and must be obtained before buying any used 997. I found some cars wth Range 5 over revs that I eliminated based on that data. I would also recommend borrowing a Eclometer paint thickness measurement device and going over all the panels and the roof looking for evidence of repaints. I did that on my most recent purchase and the paint on the 2007 I bought measured between 4 and 5.5microns. That matched the showroom Turbo that was my control. Repaints typically measure 10-12 microns. I was burned on my last 911 that was repainted unbeknown to me. Granted, a repaint may not be the worst thing but it is important to know. I paid the price on the other end of that deal. So the list of important data starts with a DME scan and measuring the paint thickness.

Last edited by cpbmd; 09-09-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: accuracy
Old 09-09-2010, 12:02 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I actually just purchased an 07 C4S and like yourself began with the basics such as DME, carfax, and saw that my car had passed a CPO but was not sold with the warranty itself. I also got the dealership to pull the service records as that is a good indication of a lemon...

Im sure others can add but here are some other things i did: looked at the brake pad thickness, tire wear, checked the engine and associated areas for oil and any possible salt or corrosion. Checked the underbody for paint overshoot and made sure VIN/assembly numbers all matched. On the inside i checked the cig lighter, seat wear bang your hand around on panels to check for fit finish.

Did a 20 min test drive, then came back and checked the underside of the car for any leaks and open engine cover to make sure engine idles fine.

Im sure there are many other things...

Carfax wont catch all accidents, it depends if the repair house participates with the database logging system.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Keep in mind that replacing the DME unit itself will wipe out all prior history be it range 4, 5 or otherwise. There could be more than just a few cars with unreliable DME history out there after the DME recall a couple of years ago. I brought mine in and after several failed attempts to update my DME unit they just threw it out and replaced it with a new one. I asked for a DME print before and after and although I had nothing above range 3 prior, it was all zeros after the swap. I'm sure this will show up if someone gains access to the maint. records of my car which is why I have before and after DME printouts. How many people know enough to check for this though? A car that's been tracked hard every weekend could look like it's been driven to church every weekend with one of these stories.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:42 AM
BT2010
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure you got the mm confused with maybe micrometers - there is no way a paint is 5mm thich.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:41 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BT2010
I'm pretty sure you got the mm confused with maybe micrometers - there is no way a paint is 5mm thich.
You are correct it must be microns. Sorry!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Taxi?
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I have just finished a researching and purchasing a pre-owned 997. This is the 2nd pre-owned Porsche I have bought and learned a lot in the process. I think it would be beneficial to many people especially those who have never bought a uses P-car to make a list of important points or facts that need to be considered before buying a pre-owned Porsche. I can start it off by saying that the DME scan is one piece of information that is very valuable and must be obtained before buying any used 997. I found some cars wth Range 5 over revs that I eliminated based on that data. I would also recommend borrowing a Eclometer paint thickness measurement device and going over all the panels and the roof looking for evidence of repaints. I did that on my most recent purchase and the paint on the 2007 I bought measured between 4 and 5.5mm. That matched the showroom Turbo that was my control. Repaints typically measure 10-12 mm. I was burned on my last 911 that was repainted unbeknown to me. Granted, a repaint may not be the worst thing but it is important to know. I paid the price on the other end of that deal. So the list of important data starts with a DME scan and measuring the paint thickness.
Excellent advice that will surely benefit future buyers who happen to read this thread. Unfortunately, I didn't know enough to do either of the things you recommend but still feel as comfortable as I can with my purchase. Hope you enjoy your new car.

Quick Reply: Research to do before buying a preowned 997