Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPA intent in killing Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The whole idea of CAFE standards is absurd. For starters, they have driven the market towards the SUV. Second, oil is a product that is priced in a competitive global market with production coming on line and dropping off all over the world all the time. Nobody says we spend to much on milk, airplane tickets, movie tickets, aluminum, or any other global commodity, and all these items have a "societal cost" attached to them as well.

I bet Porsche finds a way to win, even if they have to put a plant in the US and buy a few members of Congress. They were for rent the last I heard.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What would reduce global fuel consumption more? A 911 with a 90 hp diesel from a VW ? When gas price goes up everyone thinks about using less. Put the consumption tax at the pump not on the car then the big guzzlers/users will use less.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
What would reduce global fuel consumption more? A 911 with a 90 hp diesel from a VW ? When gas price goes up everyone thinks about using less. Put the consumption tax at the pump not on the car then the big guzzlers/users will use less.
That makes sense on several levels but no major political party in the US has the stones to push for such a thing. Politics here is driven by money, obfuscation, and demagoguery. Our system is broken.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:10 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Do not forget... spread the wealth.
Agreed, another move from our "Robin Hood" of a President! Can't wait till November!!!!

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 09-08-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-08-2010, 04:29 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't give a rat's rump about what the EU laws require. This isn't the EU, and I don't live there. This is America- where I live, where YOU live.

The EPA is nothing but another example of a federally-franchised mob. If you look into what they were created for, and what their legal parameters and boundaries truly are, you will be shocked (well, maybe not) to see that they have way WAY over-stepped their legal boundaries... and Congress just keeps fanning the flames, along with the ultra-leftist environmentalist fanatics.

I delineate the latter because they operate FAR beyond reality, logic and reason. I'm for environmental responsibility within the boundaries of viability, reality, reason and true need. When an engine such as Porsche's NA 3.8 flat-6 puts out cleaner air than it ingests, THAT is saying something about accomplishment and environmental responsibility.

The dirty little secret is that there has been a whole cottage industry built around the EPA's original mandates and power than has spun WAY out of control; and furthermore, has created a needful relationship (read: profitable) between certain political figures promoting the EPA, the US Govt itself, and the companies that have sprung-forth to meet these contrived "needs".

Let's not forget those all-important carbon credits.

Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi can jet around in her own personal 757 on my dime and yours, with a devil-may-care attitude with her nose high in the air.

It's all about 1. Profit for certain political figures and the govt; and more nefariously: 2. CONTROL.

C'mon November.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:45 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
What are they smoking? 41.5 MPG?! 27MPG!?

I drive sensibly most of the time and I never see more than 17-19 mpg. To get over 20mpg I would never have any fun.
I did a 250 mile highway trip over the past weekend - 27mpg on the way down and 26.7mpg on the way back. I read where it is not such a great idea to talk specifics about highway speeds, so I won't post those numbers - but I wasn't intentionally trying to get good gas mileage, I'll say that much.

Pretty sure those numbers (27mpg) are highway mileage - seems very easy to achieve in my car.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
I don't give a rat's rump about what the EU laws require. This isn't the EU, and I don't live there. This is America- where I live, where YOU live.

The EPA is nothing but another example of a federally-franchised mob. If you look into what they were created for, and what their legal parameters and boundaries truly are, you will be shocked (well, maybe not) to see that they have way WAY over-stepped their legal boundaries... and Congress just keeps fanning the flames, along with the ultra-leftist environmentalist fanatics.

I delineate the latter because they operate FAR beyond reality, logic and reason. I'm for environmental responsibility within the boundaries of viability, reality, reason and true need. When an engine such as Porsche's NA 3.8 flat-6 puts out cleaner air than it ingests, THAT is saying something about accomplishment and environmental responsibility.

The dirty little secret is that there has been a whole cottage industry built around the EPA's original mandates and power than has spun WAY out of control; and furthermore, has created a needful relationship (read: profitable) between certain political figures promoting the EPA, the US Govt itself, and the companies that have sprung-forth to meet these contrived "needs".

Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi can jet around in her own personal 757 on my dime and yours, with a devil-may-care attitude with her nose high in the air.

It's all about 1. Profit for certain political figures and the govt; and more nefariously: 2. CONTROL.

C'mon November.
Amen!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone

C'mon November.
The US consumes over 350 million gallons of petroleum based fuel per day. That's around 700 million dollars per day, or 250 billion dollars per year. For a product with no alternative that we have to buy in order to keep going about our daily lives.

There may well be a cottage industry built around the EPA, but there's a vastly bigger industry keeping us dependent on petroleum.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
The US consumes over 350 million gallons of petroleum based fuel per day. That's around 700 million dollars per day, or 250 billion dollars per year. For a product with no alternative that we have to buy in order to keep going about our daily lives.

There may well be a cottage industry built around the EPA, but there's a vastly bigger industry keeping us dependent on petroleum.
..250 billion? That's about how much we spend on oil abroad, annually. It devalues the dollar, etc, etc.

Porsche's racing hybrid puts out a little under 20lbs of CO2 per gallon. That's just under the rule of thumb for America's fleet. But consider that car also delivers 500HP.

Many things are possible, but not without what some of you are calling "industrial policy". It's much, much more profitable to just let the oil slowly run out.

Yes, November is coming. Maybe we should all just start clapping our hands and stomping our feet for Joe Barton's brand of enegy policy. Hail, the new leader of the Energy Committee. A true Industrialist.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

By 2016 Porsche will be a fully integrated subsidiary of VW and average in their fleet.

Or it will be like Lambo, Bugatti, and Bentley, and shrink to only a super-marque under the VW corporation.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:49 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 908 Likes on 504 Posts

The integration with VW is exactly what the EPA is not allowing them to do - since the merger took place after the new regulations were passed.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the soon to be hopefully former congress along with the community origzizer are going to try their best to control what we own drive buy and who we work for.We better all get out and vote. If we want any chance to change this feel good BS. This shouldn't be about gas milage. It should be based solely on emissions. If I can afford to drive a car the doesn't over pollute the air why should the gov Be able to tell me anything. Set tough emission stds. Not unrealistic Mpg stds that I can only get from a stupid elec car.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar

Petroleum is what built this country and many others around the world! It made us move around feely and to move goods freely, to discover unknown land and to have plastics and many other Petroleum based products to improve the quality of our lives.

Oil is a NATURAL occuring product and its discovery and utilization led to modernization of our world! As much as I am totally against Oil companies, and for better use of our environment, the while global warming is cooked up by various interest groups to make a certain portion of society rich on behalf of suffering of others!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:15 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

We will be ALWAYS dependent on some form of energy so this specter of evil dependency on oil as an energy is a nothingburger. When if and when we move to another form of energy, it will only be a period of time before it gets villianized, too; and a major "manufactured crisis" will ensue.

SO what's the deal?

Money & control.

We are NOT running out of oil now, we weren't 30 years ago when the hand-wringing Professors said we would in 20 yrs and face an ice age; and we won't be running out of crude oil in another 50 years, period. The earth is still producing crude oil in its natural eco-system that it has, and that is the dirty little secret these folks KNOW and won't acknowledge.

Witness the recent "Gulf Oil disaster". Here is the Pink Elephant, ladies & gentlemen:
Oil coming out like gangbusters with no end in sight ("omg, it will never end!") unless we cap it and stop its flow.

Gee, I thought we were running out... pfft. Flipping liars.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:43 AM
Kuhan
Racer

My thought is that Porsche will put their prices up, as will Lambo, Ferrari etc...

If you have to ask, you can't afford it... buy a 1.0l Kia instead! Coming from the UK, Porsches here in the US are dirt cheap in comparison.

Quick Reply: EPA intent in killing Porsche