Sponsored by:

Oil Change Frequency

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LiBr: My mistake; b. should have read " ... longer service interval ...."

Reminds me of when students found errors in my m-c questions. Fortunately for all, I'm retired now.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Every year, or 10k miles, which ever comes first.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:48 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
The folks that fill up every 3-5k miles kill me. "Just being safe." Do you stop and fill your gas tank every time it gets half empty, just to be safe? Imagine stopping with your tank half full, dumping out all the remaining gas and then filling up completely - would you consider that "just being safe"? After all, some of the remaining gas could be bad.

Modern synthetic oils are designed to be changed every 10-20k miles, not 3-5k. Spend your money how you wish, but don't fool yourself into thinking you're doing anything other than being wasteful with it.
If people want to throw money away dumping perfectly good oil, that's their prerogative... it's when they start trying to convince others to do it that's a problem. Do any of you who are changing your oil at less than Porsche's recommended intervals have any oil analysis or anything else to back up your claims, or just anecdotes and conjecture?

I bought into some of the hype and dumped my oil early. Unlike most, though, I sent in a sample for testing. Blackstone said my oil at 12k miles was just fine despite me racing this car, and recommended I try 13k next time.

Moral of the story: If in doubt, take an oil sample and send it in for testing. You may be dumping perfectly good oil this time, but no sense doing it again!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
If people want to throw money away dumping perfectly good oil, that's their prerogative... it's when they start trying to convince others to do it that's a problem. Do any of you who are changing your oil at less than Porsche's recommended intervals have any oil analysis or anything else to back up your claims, or just anecdotes and conjecture?

I bought into some of the hype and dumped my oil early. Unlike most, though, I sent in a sample for testing. Blackstone said my oil at 12k miles was just fine despite me racing this car, and recommended I try 13k next time.

Moral of the story: If in doubt, take an oil sample and send it in for testing. You may be dumping perfectly good oil this time, but no sense doing it again!
There was a guy from Blackstone (I think his name was Doug too) that used to post here. His professional, technical opinion was along the lines of what I stated earlier - early oil changes of synthetic oils (in all but the most extreme exceptions) is a complete waste.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

There was a guy from Blackstone (I think his name was Doug too) that used to post here. His professional, technical opinion was along the lines of what I stated earlier - early oil changes of synthetic oils (in all but the most extreme exceptions) is a complete waste.
I couldn't find the link to where he worked (at least, I didn't see it while skimming), but the guy is/was Doug Hillary. Looks like his last post was July '09 which is sad, as he was a wealth of info. For your reading pleasure...

Oil discussion thread in CGT forum where Doug educates
Link to oil reports by Doug in same thread
Doug educates
Doug educates again
Doug educates again
Doug educates one more time
Synthetic oil life study

The bottom line is that a lot of people who are smarter than me (and not armchair quarterbacks) say its okay to skip the 3k oil changes.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Every year, or 10k miles, which ever comes first.
+1; per factory spec. We all know manufacturers are ultra conservative with their recommendations so there is certainly a safety factor built into this. More frequent intervals just seem unneccesary for a street car.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:04 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why I change my oil every 5k miles:

1. I like to do it at regular intervals, and not have to worry about one oil change being based on years and the next on miles. That would have a loss of symmetry I find disturbing.

2. An oil change costs 0.17% of what I paid for the car.

3. The oil looks dirty when it comes out.

4. With 3 cars, setting each at a 5k interval is the only way I can keep track of what needs to be done, to which car, and when.

5. I'm a moron.

6. If I had leased the car, I would change the oil every 10k-20k, if at all.

7. The car feels like it runs smoother after the oil is changed.

8. I want to show that these synthetic dinosaurs did not die in vain.

9. I'm supporting the economy when nobody else is.

10. This is trite, but it's important: It's. My. Car.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

...but the guy is/was Doug Hillary. Looks like his last post was July '09 which is sad, as he was a wealth of info. For your reading pleasure..
Wow, thanks for the links. I hadn't encountered those threads and you're right -- Doug sure does know about lubricants. Great reading.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr

Early on I had the oil analyzed in my 02 Boxster. IIRC the oil had 4K miles on it. The water content was high, IIRC 7%. No coolant leak. Just water accumulation from condensation. At the time I lived in the mid-west and it was winter. Even though I drove around 10 miles to work and 10 miles from work to home and longer distances several times a week, these engines in cooler weather just don't get very hot and as a result build up considerable water content.

Since high levels of water combines with other combustion byproducts to form acid and because water in oil lowers its viscosity and increased its tendency to foam/aerate -- neither of which is any good for an engine's continued good health -- I decided that 5K miles would be plenty long enough to keep the oil in the engine.

When I had the oil analyzed I spoke with the people at the place that did the analysis. The place specialized in big rig servicing. I was told about half the big rig owners do the oil analysis thing the other half just change the oil every month or so, or after about 30K miles. Some trucks many run longer now between oil changes, this was circa 2002.

The proper procedure is to remove the oil filter housing, pour out some oil for analysis then analyze the oil. This place did it on site. If the oil ok the filter is replaced and the filter housing replaced. If the oil not ok the oil is changed.

Even if the oil is ok -- since this shop doesn't do oil changes for Porsches and I wouldn't want it to anyway -- I have to have the tech replace the filter element, the o-ring, reinstall the oil filter housing and then drive the car home and arrange to change the oil at my convenience. Another filter element and another o-ring and a half a quart or so of oil wasted.

Plus it takes time.

Then one has to think when the next analysis is due. Maybe the oil's deteriotation is not linear? So if the oil is ok at 4K miles when do I test again? 5K? 8K?

To me I would just rather pick a number of miles and change the oil.

I have better things to do with my time than to extract oil from my cars' engines and send the oil out for analysis.

I probably dispose of oil that has some life left in it. I don't care. My goal is to extend the life of my cars engines at the expense of some relatively cheap oil rather than shorten the life of my cars' engines to save some money on oil changes.

As I've mentioned before, I've come across many stories of car owners -- over the years -- discussing their cars' extreme longevity. I have yet to come across one that claimed to have changed the oil every 15K miles (Porsche's schedule for my 02 Boxster). Most change between 2K and 5K miles. 2K miles a bit extreme but some of these car owners are driving cars with carbs and poor crankcase ventilation and water and unburned fuel build up very bad in a very short time. Also, some have high lift cams, and other engine mods that place an even higher demand on the oil.

If you want to run your oil longer, whatever number you want is up to you.

When your car's engine reaches 234K miles following 10K or 12K or 15K mile oil change intervals I want to know about it. Until then I'll stick with my 5K mile oil changes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One year comes first for me -- plus I'm still adding a quart every few months...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Why was the recommended service interval changed from 20k miles/2 years to 12k miles/1 year?

a. The way the new cars were built called for a shorter service interval.
b. They found that the longer service interval resulted in excessive wear.
c. New buyers were attracted to the longer service interval (marketing ploy).
d. Dealers were attracted to the shorter service interval (dealer profit ploy).
e. None of the above.
The answer is: d

Dealers were squawking to Porsche about the loss of revenue from the extended maintenance intervals.

Porsche tells me to change every 20,000 miles. I do it at 10,000. Anything more is overkill. Perhaps I'll send a sample to Blackstone Labs next time...
Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
Wow, thanks for the links. I hadn't encountered those threads and you're right -- Doug sure does know about lubricants. Great reading.
I hate when folks like that move on because the knowledge, while stored in the forum if you know where/what to look for, seems to fade away.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well done ... knowledge over ignorance always wins ...

I couldn't find the link to where he worked (at least, I didn't see it while skimming), but the guy is/was Doug Hillary.
Looks like his last post was July '09 which is sad, as he was a wealth of info. For your reading pleasure...

Oil discussion thread in CGT forum where Doug educates
Link to oil reports by Doug in same thread
Doug educates
Doug educates again
Doug educates again
Doug educates one more time
Synthetic oil life study

The bottom line is that a lot of people who are smarter than me (and not armchair quarterbacks) say its okay to skip the 3k oil changes.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:20 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I rationalize my experience is that if the oil is not doing its job then there will be more wear on the engine which, in turn, will increase oil consumption. Since I have added only 0.5 quart of oil in 55 K miles (and that was early on) and I have not seen ANY evidence of increased consumption I'm going to assume that engine wear is not excessive and thus that the oil change interval I have chosen is appropriate.

I hate it when people waste money and resources for stupid reasons.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:03 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boolala
I hate it when people waste money and resources for stupid reasons.
See, I don't care if someone wastes their money. It bugs me when they waste their money and have convinced themselves it is not a waste. I know fully well I'm wasting money on a 911 vs. an Accord when my daily commute is a 4 mile round trip to daycare, but I'm happy to waste it.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Frequency