Hankook Ventus R-S3

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hankook Ventus R-S3

Hi,

I look for a tires set for a next season, I got my primary r-comps already for track rims and I look for a best cheap street practice/auto-x/track selection and se those r-s3 hankooks, people say they have decent grip and are dirt cheap, so, can anybody here comment - do they have any grip at all in the rain?

Also, are they worth spending $800 on them? I plan to put them on a stock rims - 18" 8" f 10" rear in 245/285 sizes. Have anyone here tried that?

Also, will those tires last at least whole season/year with 1-2 DEs and 1-2 auto-x days and appx 5K street miles? How are they in cold - what is the temperature when they turn into glass?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the H Ventus with several thousand miles on them now, street use only on these, 19" size, and have been very happy especially with wet traction and cool temps. I don't have any experience with the R-S3 nor have I seen them on any cars myself yet.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

A friend of mine has RS-3s on his STS miata and really likes them. Says they're great wet, and never get greasy in the heat, and wear has been slow. They need more heat for max grip than star specs, but less than kuhmo xs's, and generally come up to temp for him about halfway through his first run. FWIW, I run street tire class on star specs, but am still debating which to run next year. (Might change my mind again depending on what other new tires come out!) From what I've seen in public testing, grip is damned near even between RS-3s and star specs, but they handle temperature a bit differently; the Hankooks like it warm and Dunlops like it cold. Both are excellent in the rain. They're about the same price, and I don't think you could go wrong with either tire.

I can attest that the Star Specs will give you excellent grip even when they're very cold; I've never felt mine get glassy, even when temps dipped into the teens some mornings. I keep my car garaged, so they did start out a little warmer before hitting the cold pavement. They offer no grip whatsoever in slush, though. I had to call in sick that day.

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus R-S3