Sponsored by:

turning off 4wd on a c4s

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbst09
Sorry to dig up an old post but has anyone confirmed that the 1 click emergency brake trick does indeed turn off the AWD in a C4S to make it 2 wheel drive or is this just a rumor? Thanks
Try it...and then report back.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:55 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
If you want to break the back end loose to drift, its damn difficult in the 4WD to do so.. thats the one reason I could think of.

Damn difficult only due to TC which you can turn off, VC is NEVER a good enough r/f coupling to have an affect.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:56 PM
wwest
Drifting

If you want to break the back end loose to drift, its damn difficult in the 4WD to do so.. thats the one reason I could think of.

Damn difficult only due to TC/PSM which you can turn off, VC is NEVER a good enough r/f coupling to have an affect.

If you are quick enough with counter-steering PSM will allow.....

Damn difficult breaking rear traction enough for drifting on highly tractive surfaces......
Old 04-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
Damn difficult only due to TC/PSM which you can turn off, VC is NEVER a good enough r/f coupling to have an affect.

If you are quick enough with counter-steering PSM will allow.....

Damn difficult breaking rear traction enough for drifting on highly tractive surfaces......
All I can say is that on a lubed up skid padd on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington in early 2009 I was driving pretty tight circles with PSM turned OFF (as off as the switch makes it) and it was very hard to break loose. The 2wd cars would have the back end spin out easily as I watched, while the Targa 4 would slide with all 4 wheels a bit but I really had to get the speed up and the radius to a small circle before it would slide.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:37 PM
wwest
Drifting

All I can say is that on a lubed up skid padd on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington in early 2009 I was driving pretty tight circles with PSM turned OFF (as off as the switch makes it) and it was very hard to break loose. The 2wd cars would have the back end spin out easily as I watched, while the Targa 4 would slide with all 4 wheels a bit but I really had to get the speed up and the radius to a small circle before it would slide.
Yes, the longer you turn in that circle, and the tighter you turn, the more the VC should stiffen up.

Probably good "prep" just before entering an autocross course,... anyone tried that?

But there is NO practical, every day, use.....

Quick Reply: turning off 4wd on a c4s