Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here NOT like driving in sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:16 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Always OFF

On track more aggressive suspension is on and that is it.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:20 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic
On the turbo though, the sport button which again makes it a bit more jumpy and skittish, helps with getting the turbo boost on faster, as it just puts the "led foot" down, so I do enjoy it more...

At least with the Turbo sport button you get some real torque/performance increase from the overboost feature.

Overall? Throttle map difference is worth it. It's hard to beat the sheet out of the car using your own lead foot. Ya know? Slamming that foot down results in a little voice in your head saying with feelings of guilt, "That's not good." With the button flipped at least the car can do the lead-foot-slamming dirty work for you.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:38 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Mine is used 50% of the time, I find Sport too twitchy for stop-and-go traffic, so if in the city, I usually turn it off. I use it on the highway, and road trips, and for short tracks. Sometimes I actually turn it off on track as I can modulate throttle better, but mostly I keep it on.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I normally drive in normal mode. Its easier on my foot for typical traffic driving given the change in effect form the first bit of pedal travel.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:11 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For street driving I like the sharper throttle response with sport mode on but really don't like the tighter suspension.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:59 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sport appears to be a little more responsive but not enough to need to turn it on.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My car is always in Sport mode with PASM in normal.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 AM
LlBr
Drifting

PASM is good when you have some wild two-lane-highway passing to do - and not much room to do it in.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
PASM is good when you have some wild two-lane-highway passing to do - and not much room to do it in.
PASM is your suspension setting and wouldn't have anything to do with acceleration. Not that "Sport" mode does, either...
Old 08-20-2010, 12:39 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nugget
PASM is your suspension setting and wouldn't have anything to do with acceleration. Not that "Sport" mode does, either...
Yes, I am aware.

What I'm saying is the car is stiffer PASM-wise in the sport setting so you can maintain stability as you swerve out and back in more wildly while making an insane just-enough-room pass.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

The roads here are too rough for sport mode. I leave it in normal mode.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Bob (CT)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use sport mode on the highway only. Prefer the firmer set-up with high speed cruising on smooth pavement, and kind of like the quicker throttle response so long as I'm not shifting much. Always revert to the normal setting when driving around town.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:48 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't take it anymore I have to pipe in!

What is wrong with you people! "Sport Mode" is a gimmick.

1) PASM needs to be on only on smooth race tracks it is overkill anywhere else, and can be turned independantly Porsche did that for a reason!

2) Throttle response changes nothing in horsepower, torque or anything it just makes the gas paddle feel twitchy which is the wrong thing when it comes to real performance driving. In fact if you are not super smooth it simply disrupts the car's balance mid - corner.

3) PSE I agree sounds good but make your life easier and unplug the thing.

I will leave you with one last thought that may put this inperpsective for you!

When Walter Rohrl set the 7:50 Nordschleife time in the 997S he had the car in NORMAL MODE as it was faster! The explaination he gave was that the balance is almost the same between the two with the Normal mode much better for the rough surface of the Nordschleife.

If it is fast enough for Walter I am quite sure it fast enough for me.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
1) PASM needs to be on only on smooth race tracks it is overkill anywhere else, and can be turned independantly Porsche did that for a reason!

2) Throttle response changes nothing in horsepower, torque or anything it just makes the gas paddle feel twitchy which is the wrong thing when it comes to real performance driving. In fact if you are not super smooth it simply disrupts the car's balance mid - corner.
Absolutely true.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
I can't take it anymore I have to pipe in!

What is wrong with you people! "Sport Mode" is a gimmick.

3) PSE I agree sounds good but make your life easier and unplug the thing.

I will leave you with one last thought that may put this inperpsective for you!

When Walter Rohrl set the 7:50 Nordschleife time in the 997S he had the car in NORMAL MODE as it was faster! The explaination he gave was that the balance is almost the same between the two with the Normal mode much better for the rough surface of the Nordschleife.

If it is fast enough for Walter I am quite sure it fast enough for me.
Indeed.. though

Gimmick or not, that's not the question.

I like it (Sport Mode) on ... for some street driving.

I don't give a crap whether Rohrl can get around the Nuerburgring Nordschleife faster with it on or off. With it and PASM-Sport mode on, the car provides me with a different response and feel to my actions, and on some road sufaces/driving conditions/moods, its more FUN.

The driving fun-ness is all I care about. I'm not racing and not trying to go faster.

Thats fully in line with anyone's desire to even have PSE, which does nothing but improve driving fun-ness, if exhaust note is of any concern to you.

Quick Reply: Anyone here NOT like driving in sport mode?