Sponsored by:

PDK shift switches I'm converted

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010 | 09:13 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Default PDK shift switches I'm converted

When I got my 2009 PDK Carrera S I quickly adapted to the steering wheel mounted shift ( up and down) switches. Then i went to the Porsche Driving school three times and each time i, at least once, inadvertantly hit the up shift button at the wrong time. This, at once lowered the revolutions below the power band and I lost time and speed on the track. When I added the Cayman to my garage, I optioned it with PDK and at least once ( really on three separate runs) at the Parade autocross I also commited the same error and up shifted at the wrong time. The solution, was when I got home I switched the steering wheel on the Cayman to one with the optional paddle shifts. PROBLEM SOLVED. I wil now put one on the Carrera S. The normal up shift buttons are right where the meaty part of your thumbs are and up shifts will happen "in the heat of battle" Bottom line for street driving the normal PDK up and down switches mounted in front and on the basic of the steering wheel are very satisfactory, BUT if you drive your car either on the track or an autocross paddle shift is the way to go. I have seen the light and made the corrections.
Old 08-09-2010 | 09:18 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Here we go again... I prefer the redundant L/R buttons. Their operation is always the same no matter what postion the steering wheel is. People inadvertently push those buttons because they keep their thumbs over them. Proper holding should keep the thumbs on the outer circumference (or so Vic Elford says).

Last edited by ADias; 08-09-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2010 | 09:43 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

I don't disagree with you but in practice and I have had numerous track hours with PDK, I keep hitting the up shift with the base of my thumb, the meaty part that is part of the palm ... always at the wrong time. I am no where the driver that Vic was and I normally track the car in "drive " and sport plus but that does not eliminate the accidental activating of the up-shift switch. By going to the paddle equiped steering wheel the problem no longer is present. Each to his own and I'm glad options are available. The transmission itself is fantastic and shifts quicker that any of us can. That comment by the way was made by Hurly Haywood, a rather quick and successful driver.
Old 08-09-2010 | 09:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Yep you found the problem with the PDK buttons just like me and many many others. The instructors at PSDS don't like the buttons either because gripping the wheel you can so easly push the upshift button, thumbs hooked on the wheel or outside the wheel. If you just drive on the street they are fine but for the track or autox they suck and the paddles are so much better.

I did the same mod...enjoy!
Old 08-09-2010 | 10:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I agree completely and experienced the exact same issue which was solved by installing the paddle shift wheel. Personally, I like the look of the PS wheel better as well. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2010 | 01:03 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Whats the cost of the wheel,...install..and source.
Old 08-10-2010 | 01:08 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Also...any photos?
Old 08-10-2010 | 02:12 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mambodoc
Whats the cost of the wheel,...install..and source.
Also...any photos?
I got mine from Suncoast Porsche for $989. I had heard of people being quoted labor charges for anywhere from .5 to 2 hours so I got an up-front price of $180 for installation with my dealer. Turned out it was literally a 20 minute operation from start to finish so they definitely made money on the deal. You might be able to get a better price on the labor.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-10-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-10-2010 | 11:19 AM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

"Turned out it was literally a 20 minute operation from start to finish.."

Not surprised. The airbag was perhaps the trickiest part. All the other functions/wiring were already on board. Probably, no programing needed.

FWIW, I think Porsche made a mistake to go with their OE PDK wheel. I mean, apart from the questionable button placement, is it the only one that downshifts with a pull of the right side? What next, a manual gearbox that shifts forward into 2nd, from 1st? Seriously, people are going to have more than one auto-manual in their garages sooner than you think.

Last edited by wogamax; 08-10-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-10-2010 | 12:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I got mine from Suncoast Porsche for $989. I had heard of people being quoted labor charges for anywhere from .5 to 2 hours so I got an up-front price of $180 for installation with my dealer. Turned out it was literally a 20 minute operation from start to finish so they definitely made money on the deal. You might be able to get a better price on the labor.
Love ur interior!
Old 08-10-2010 | 01:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wogamax
"Turned out it was literally a 20 minute operation from start to finish.."

Not surprised. The airbag was perhaps the trickiest part. All the other functions/wiring were already on board. Probably, no programing needed.
The only programming required was to recalibrate the wheel position sensor but obviously that didn't take long either. As you say, everything else was just plug in and go.

Originally Posted by alexb76
Love ur interior!
Thanks, Alex!
Old 08-10-2010 | 01:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I had my indy Porsche shop do the swap...dealer was way over priced. took my indy shop 20 minutes to swap the wheels/air bag and they have a PIWIS tool to zero set the steering wheel position sensor.

Which BTW each alignment you guys do on the car the steering postion sensor should be zero'd out....so many shop skip this part.
Old 08-10-2010 | 04:39 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep you found the problem with the PDK buttons just like me and many many others. The instructors at PSDS don't like the buttons either because gripping the wheel you can so easly push the upshift button, thumbs hooked on the wheel or outside the wheel. If you just drive on the street they are fine but for the track or autox they suck and the paddles are so much better.

I did the same mod...enjoy!
+10000

I did a lengthy demo with a new 997.2 and the optional wheel with paddle shifters. If you hold the wheel like you should (as you described) the buttons are pretty lame. I imagine in urban traffic, etc., it's okay. But the new wheel with paddle shifters now make it like all other cars (and therefore easier to hop into the seat of different cars without hesitating when shifting; I also have an AMG with a "normal" sports wheel and paddle shifters.) Huge improvement.
Old 08-11-2010 | 12:22 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Thanks for the info.!!! So..paddles are easier/less of a hassel than the buttons? THey don't get in the way? Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010 | 11:21 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks for the info.!!! So..paddles are easier/less of a hassel than the buttons? THey don't get in the way? Thanks!
They absolulty do not get in the way. If you are ever across the state let me know and I will let you check them out on my car.

Quick Reply: PDK shift switches I'm converted